Paladin CoV Group Spell Line Up

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Smite The Wicked, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Qimble Augur

Because it's healing I can cast in advance of the damage hitting me. I've tried a bunch of other spells in the lineup as a default and none felt much better. That's basically my flex spot and renewal is the default for times when I don't need a specific tool for the content. I suspect swapping it for an extra crush or stun would make little to no difference in the majority of group level content.

Interesting, I'm surprised you saw that much of a boost. I avoided using DP during my spells run because the extra attack power / proc rate from Yaulp are available with or without using nukes. (and I didn't use it during the no-nukes run) I will give you that the requiem trigger trigger is pretty great, I just haven't found it to land long enough before the mobs are dead to offset the DPS loss I was noticing. I might have to do some more parses later to test some different lineups. I'm thinking maybe doing 10x 1 minute parses with time between to let the requiem trigger fall off might be a more accurate way to find normal group / solo comparisons. I should probably also make sure to keep Yaulp up during the no-nukes runs. I'm drooling over the CoV 2 hander, I've got the sword/board but haven't won a third ore yet to get the 2 hander.

I noticed you mentioned caster type 18/19, why did you pick those over tanking augs? Oh, and did you use thunder of karana / vanquish?
  2. Chaosflux Augur

DP is a massive chunk of your active spell based dps, especially on content you don't need the aggro, if you can deal with the mana cost its a great way to boost your dps. Even if you cast no other damage spells that one is the "most worth it".

I could see if you have a beast/bard, the other nukes could potentially lower your dps in some cases, but so would aggro spells, but DP certainly will not even with solid uptime on Beast fury.

Though our spells low low low base values should be addressed as its a class issue. They've lost so much ground since level 85/90 when they were introduced due to mob HP bloat its ludicrous at this point.
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I'm using 5 evolving items in my paladin so I have the spots over just stat augs (will admit ... never parsed out stat augs vs proc augs ... but I run a caster group when boxing so there are a lot of spell cast benefits normally in my group ... which were nerfed, but I haven't adjusted yet). The other thing about running caster group ... my mobs are usually well debuffed so very rarely get resists once going.

Should have noted Yaulp was on for both runs.

I did not use any of the burst/boost aas or discs and that would be probably the next thing I looked at. I'd also want to run without Requiem just to make sure that I'm still seeing same dps from slashes in both. I also want to push HDex as high as I can (I still haven't switched from ToV to CoV ones ... lazy).

I have noted in 10m runs that sometimes you get weird results (I was testing with and without epic on a necro after the nerf patch ... and actually got a real difference on my first run ... and could never duplicate it in 10+ other runs ... ).

It's good to talk shop for pallies. We're not SKs, but the last two expansions have really made it fun to play mine again (okay, getting raid gear doesn't hurt either). I know I'm constantly learning things from our raid main pallies from just looking at spell counts/cast timelines on various raids. Not sure there's a wrong way to pally, but there are definitely better choices when wanting to play a particular way. Fun to figure this out.

P.S. To Chaosflux's point ... I was OOM on the spell run at 10m.
  4. Qimble Augur

That is something I absolutely should've made clear in my first comment. You are 100% right, and I switch between it and FoD depending on mana even though I haven't had good results with any of our other stuff outside of quicktime. I should've also considered that for my super long parses I've done in the past (ie, parsing an entire nights worth of mobs) I did have a bard for the entire night since my usual group always has a bard.

I wasn't really around for level 85/90, but as a recently returned played I will say they seem absolutely terrible. Especially considering they are limited to use against undead and it costs a ton of AAs to get their focuses done.
  5. Chaosflux Augur

At one point they accounted for a significant chunk of our burn dps, but they've been stagnated and stagnated to the point they aren't quite pointless but they certainly have lost the punch.

Damage is probably our weakest area especially considering mob bloat.

Hell we used to be able to atleast do a tolerable burn, but even on undead either of the other tanks blow us away, about the only class we outdps is clerics (who also suffer seriously lagging damage spell lines).
  6. Qimble Augur

Fair enough, I haven't bothered to try and get any of the TBL evolving items since I've only been playing against since September after not having really played since around OoW. We don't always have anyone around to debuff so that could also be affecting my non target dummy results.

Agreed re: talking shop since I'm always trying to learn more, IMO the worst thing about returning to EQ is that there isn't a single up to date place to go for this kind of info. A lot of it I've either been digging through ancient forum posts or just personally running parses to try and figure out how it works.

Even in good ADPS groups on something like Zlandi? That sucks. It's always seemed dumb to me that we had to trade doing any damage on non-undead for doing decent damage on undead, it's pretty sad if top SKs can out-burn top Pallies on the fight best designed to showcase our burns.
  7. FranktheBank Augur

1. Burst
    2. Blessing
    3. Protest
    4. Remonstrate
    5. Censure
    6. Flex - Twincast usually
    7. Stun/Crush
    8. Stun/Crush
    9. Flex - HoT Stun, Wave, Expiation
    10. Splash (sometimes changed)
    11. Propitiation
    12. Preservation
    13. Stance
    FWIW, with pure melee attacks and no discs running, a multibind with DP + 4, 5, 6 being spammed was a dps increase on non-undead.
    Qimble likes this.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Spells are not a dps loss, and spells are about 15% of my dps on zland burns.

I'm doing just as much dps as SKs and more than warriors, from what I've seen, on that undead zland burn, if we don't have a lag issue in that instance, FWIW.

I'm sure Drogbaa or Ketruh would beat me if we both had a dps group, since we gain less from ADPs than shadowknights, but its neck and neck in tank groups.

We're actually really good dps on burns when zlan instance is lagging so bad people can barely cast spells, which is funny, since so much of our dps is melee based now. I can double a wizard on a lagfest. On a laggy LONG 90 second zland burn (raid, so no adps at all) I'm still doing a million dps.

Would love to see adps and no lag for a less than 60 second burn (our dps drops a lot after 60 seconds).
  9. shiftie Augur

Thank you for the clarity. I was reading this thread thinking I stepped into the twilight zone
  10. Qimble Augur

What does raid burns have to do with casual grouping? Buffs, ADPS, mana concerns, length of fight are all completely different. Like I said before, my personal parsing for group level content has showed our nukes to be a DPS loss in the past. I'll get around to doing more parses in the future, but since it only changes how I approach trivial content it hasn't been a high priority.
  11. Chaosflux Augur

Except there's probably a flaw in the way you tested because I don't think anyone else is seeing a net loss of dps using nukes, you do lose some swing dps but you gain more than you lose from the casting. And alot of that can be mitigated by spell threading or atleast attempting to (if you have HHE).

Its not as rewarding as it was in say VOA or HOT, but its still a net gain
  12. Qimble Augur

Very possible, which is why I keep saying that more parsing is warranted. But parsing raid DPS w/ ideal buffs / debuffs and then saying it applies to group level content is every bit as flawed.

My to-do list w/r/t parses:

test a no spells parse where I still spam DP since that's more accurate to normal conditions
    test short fights w/ gaps to more accurate reflect uptime on requiem trigger
    test a couple different spell lineups to see how each spell/combination of spells affects DPS
    test vs non-undead to see how the numbers change
    test 30 minute long test cycling through burns w/ a bard in group to check real world grinding conditions
  13. Warpeace Augur

Casting good spell choices will always result in a DPS gain as a Paladin...period.

End of story