Paladin CoV Group Spell Line Up

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Smite The Wicked, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Smite The Wicked New Member

Hi all, i did some searching thru the boards and i found a post on tov spell lineup for grouping for paladins but no cov spells. Does anyone have a good Spell line up for Cov? Just wondering what spells i should have on the spellbar, not the aa's. Again this is for grouping/boxing, not raiding, although that would be useful if i ever raid.
  2. Elyssanda Bardbrain

probably ask in the tank forum, not Hybrids
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Generally, Paladin stuff is handled in Tanks forum as Elyssanda said.

That said, there were no new spell lines for Paladins in CoV. So if you used a spell/disc line in ToV, you would just switch to the upgrade from CoV when applicable. They finally gave us an upgrade in the Alliance line as well. You can still ignore it.

CoV spell list is here:
    Spell Search - EQ Resource - The Resource for your EverQuest needs
  4. Qimble Augur

My general spell lineup for grouping:

Preservation of the Grotto
    Confluent Blessing
    Renewing Steel
    Stormwall Stance
    Protective Consecration
    Composite Force
    Burst of Wakening
    Valiant Deterrence
    Expiation
    Propitiation
    Crush of Restless Ice
    Protest for Honor
    Fervent Audacity

I run with a cleric who usually handles the cures, so no need for splash. For The Call / Crusaders I swap renewing steel for wave. If you precast / cancel it until the timing is right you can full heal the group after the big AOE comes out so that your healer doesn't have to. Save composite force for an oh group heal.

I'm sure there's other spell lineups that work better for different group comps / different players, but that basic lineup has carried me through all group content pretty easily. For raids it's pretty similar, but swap stuff around per encounter. Renewing steel is usually the first spell to get booted, followed by fervent audacity.
  5. Smite The Wicked New Member

Thank you for that, ill mold mine around it. Also after ca/cs and aow aa's what aa line or lines should be concentrated on for grouping? Right now im picking them at random at what seems best but im sure there is an order from best to worst.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I would guess General Sturdiness and Natural Durability would be important for group tanks.
  7. Qimble Augur

Which AAs to focus on really depends on what your group makeup looks like. When I was working from nothing but autogrant up to everything important being done I had a guaranteed group every single night. (with no boxed characters and a cleric healer) As a result I could afford to do slays first (For epeen) then everything defensive, then defensive activated abilities, then offensive, then utility.

If I was solo/molo more I probably would've balanced and done the most impactful defensive / offensive / utility before going back to finish the weaker defensives.
  8. Smite The Wicked New Member

General sturdiness is only 200 hp per 15aa, not sure if its worth it. Also im concentrating on healing aa's both for group and self and critical heals seems to work nicely keeping me and group alive. The makeup changes daily, when friends are on i dont tank, when they arent on i do. Only hard part now is getting ores from CoV....
  9. Szilent Augur

that increases to 2000 per rank
  10. Qimble Augur

Yeah, it gives a total of 30k HP at max rank. I think it was one of the later defensive AAs I worked on because I didn't realize it got good for the last few ranks.
  11. Jokskilove Palzerker

My spell setup:

Self-buffs:
    Stormwall Stance
    Preservation of the Grotto
    Confluent Blessing
    I only mem Steely Renewal when soloing.

Agro/spam:
    Crush of Restless Ice
    Valiant Deterrence
    Force of the Grotto + Sincere Force. If you have a healer spamming you, you can stun lock mobs via confluent blessing, but from old habit, I've gotten too used to having two stuns to lock down mobs.
    Protest for Honor. Protip: If you haven't maxed the focus aa's yet, the spell becomes instant-cast at higher ranks. I think the undead slow is from the focus aa as well.

Heals:
    Burst of Wakening
    Wave of Propitiation. I don't use it that much anymore, but old habits die hard. It's been a part of my spell setup since Planes of Power.
    Composite Force. I use it more for the instant group heal than the stun.
    Brilliant Vindication + Splash of Exaltation. Pretty much always use these together to get the double cures. The healing itself isn't that potent, so twincasting helps a lot.

Other:
    I'd like to use Doctrine of Abolishment more on undeads since it's decent damage and relatively short recast.
    I use Fervent Audacity when soloing to help land the slow component on Protest for Honor.
    I used to have Propitiation memmed all the time, but Confluent Blessing forced it out. I do miss it rather often, so I'll see if I can work it back in.

I have a lot of spellsets consisting of 1 letter each. A for Aura, B for Brell, C for Cure (splash), etc. I try to keep one slot as the "flex" slot where this spell goes - the others are relatively static. I could/should abandon stuns on unstunnable content, like Kael or most raid mobs, but I never got around to it.
    Thensome likes this.
  12. Qimble Augur

For what it's worth last time I did a parse test all of our nukes are damage losses unless we've got quick time so you aren't missing much by not having doctrine up. Our nukes don't hit hard enough or cast fast enough normally to be worth it even if you're got spare room on the spellbar.
  13. Wulfhere Augur

Why?
  14. Chaosflux Augur

Let's see these parses
  15. Qimble Augur

I didn't save them since I was just testing for myself to figure out if they were worth keeping up for soloing or not.
  16. Qimble Augur

https://imgur.com/a/N9fRAGq

Here ya go. I'm not doing 10 minute parses to test it again unless you've got a compelling reason for me to do so. I won't claim it's super scientific, one was me literally AFK the other I sat at my keyboard and fired rk3 Doctrine every time it was available. With the right ADPS our spells can do a lot more damage than they did in this parse, but it still lines up with every other test I've done that showed that no matter what I do our nukes are a DPS loss at current cast times and damage values. That flips when a bard is using quicktime, over the last 2 weeks of zlandicar I had 17% and 23% of my damage come from nukes.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  17. shiftie Augur

18. shiftie Augur

19. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

So, this got me curious.

I ran 10 minute parses just now in GGH. One with a 2 x Crush, Requiem, Doctrine of Abolishment and DP aa and auto attacking a dummy. And one with just auto attacking a dummy. Self combo aa buffs plus Ice Ulthork familiar, Jann buff, shammicals and enchanter haste ... no beasty, ranger or bard stuff) and no one else in group (or in the GGH for that matter). Spells and aa were tied to a hotbar key and pressed at .25 second intervals. Dummy was set to Undead body type but no other changes.

My paladin has CoV raid ore 2h and carrying 2 type 18/19 casting augs plus the ear progression proc aug.

With spells:
    Combat Dummy Uzah in 601s, 209.96M Damage @349.34K, 1. Goodn = 209.96M@349.34K in 601s

Without spells:
    Combat Dummy Uzah in 601s, 178.32M Damage @296.70K, 1. Goodn = 178.32M@296.70K in 601s

With spells breakdown:
    Slashes 298356 dps, 1054 hits
    DD 33476 dps, 261 hits
    Procs 14702 dps, 356 hits
    Bash 3030 dps, 123 hits

Without spells breakdown:
    Slashes 284928 dps, 1090 hits
    Proc 8968 dps, 165 hits
    Bash 3710 dps, 125 hits
    DD (S Fury proc) 1196 dps, 30 hits

Crit rates and Luck rates were pretty close to the same between runs.

So ... what I would expect before this thread. But then I pretty much weighted the run as heavily as I could for spells (using DP, requiem for the hit boost, undead spells).

I had about 3.4 percent more swings without spells. The slash dps difference is the requiem buff on the undead mob (noticed it was on the mob most of the run).

...and of course...zero healing in these runs.
    Qimble and Wulfhere like this.
  20. Jokskilove Palzerker

For historical reasons