On a lighter note....

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Soltara, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Irbax_Smoo Augur

Ya know, I might actually consider this. I've always played other people's clerics in raids, because they weren't online and we needed them. I have never leveled my own cleric, maybe I should give that a shot.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  2. Crayon123 Augur

I'll never recommend someone to play a Cleric just because they are needed, I think first and foremost the most important thing is you're playing a class you enjoy - or you might end up quitting or getting bored. That said, I personally enjoy it and having guilds bend over backwards for good Clerics is just sweet sweet icing on the cake!
    Soltara, Irbax_Smoo and Trosh like this.
  3. Trosh Augur

Couldn't agree more. Clerics are actually pretty difficult to play solo. You get res, sure, but you can't invis, sow, solo.. lots of tough things about being that class. Raiding with them is kinda fun, but can get boring just being part of a CH rotation. Just make sure you want to play the class, then you will have fun regardless.
  4. anathema Augur

Clerics are really a fun class. They can do a lot more than people give them credit for: Enough stuns to tank, lull spells to pull, root for CC, decent undead nukes. They don't have to be played as a healer only all the time.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  5. Zinth Augur

actually clerics solo... not super fast... but there are plenty of undeads to kill and clerics get groups fairly easily, so slightly slower exp during solo is not that bad, summon your hammer, load your undead nuke/dots and get to work.

it's all about using your class to the fullest.
  6. Redik2 Augur

Not sure if you're into dueling.. but I've seen some pretty mean Cleric PVP'ers. Nothing like Enchanters, of course. ;)
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  7. Irbax_Smoo Augur

I haven't found a class I didn't like, yet. I think every one of them brings something awesome to the table and every one of them has some faults. I may rag on Beast Lords, but I did love grouping with mine.

I think this is why it's so hard for me to decide on one class, but it has been narrowed down a lot.

Shaman, Paladin, Shadow Knight and I'm adding Cleric to that list.

I've raided as all of them and have enjoyed them all, but have never leveled a Cleric. I may give Cleric the edge, because it would allow me to do something "new".
  8. Hendar2 Augur

This is the brilliance behind EQ. People have tried to min-max things, and still don't agree on what is best.

On the cleric topic: I really like playing cleric. Invis isn't a problem when the cheap potions arrive.
    I'm not a fan of the cleric lull though, since it seems much less effective than others. Maybe I've had bad luck, but too many times where the cast failed and the entire camp came. Or the thing wore off 2 sec after casting, and the entire camp came. Enc lulls on the other hand seems rock solid.

The undead nukes are stellar. I rarely use the summoned hammers. We are popular, and I've been in groups with 2 clerics often enough.

The DE clerics have that clicky snare, which takes forever to cast. But it is great insurance against root breaking. Maybe I'll play DE next time around...
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  9. anathema Augur

At that level CLR and ENC use the exact same spells. ENC typically have higher Charisma though, which helps prevent agro on failure I believe. CHA can be helped with buffs, or steins.
  10. Hateseeker Augur

Pretty sure that click snare wasn't for DE specifically but for humans too as long as they worshipped Innoruuk. But the cast time was so long root could wear off before you were done....

I'm thinking of doing CLE + Bard or Monk. I played a bard before, but I never really got to use it much in group or raid situations. On the other hand I never played a monk before at all...

Back in the Classic-PoP era, how well could a bard serve as a "tank" for a cleric/bard box just to help get kills when a group can't be found?
  11. Maniacles Elder

I've gone cleric before, I always ended up pulling in my group. I stopped because Chain healing in raids was extremely boring to me. There are actually some invis items for clerics in sol, which for the life of me I never understood why our guild clerics didn't bid all their dkp for. There are never too many clerics, so playing one guarantees a spot in the guild of your choice.
    Soltara likes this.
  12. Soltara Augur

This is why im nervous. Im not sure im mentally prepared to chwheel all the way through OoW again >.<

It is becoming a Shaman or Cleric debate in my head. Luckily I have until the summer to pick.
  13. Hendar2 Augur

Yeah, Cloudy Steel Mask comes to mind.
    Chain healing isn't so bad when there is a chance that someone will miss their spot in the rotation. The emergency "oh that isn't going to land in time" can keep you on your toes.
  14. Zephyroth Elder

Yeah, im in the same boat, narrowed it either Paladin,Ranger or enchanter..
  15. Aenoan Augur

Cleric is such a killer choice though.

Paladin is pretty awesome too, Even before Slay Undead AA, they get access to a nice weapon off Yelinak that sword called the Craslith and of course the natures defender which is awesome looking, and the epic.
    You consider that plus the few undead DD's they got and you still got a nice slayer of unholy things to level up with, which negates the reason to worry about snare, since iirc undead don't run.

There is a pretty solid guide on alma's too for undead levelling. So you just have to pick the spots that are classic to velious friendly.

Cleric is an AMAZING choice too. (And back full circle) Jeez Enchanter is pretty nice too. Though I was never comfortable as a cloth caster, I had a necro, wizard and mage when they made that mayong server, i figured it was a good way to test new classes and we personally just never got a long. =/
  16. Machen New Member

Would be nice if everyone could do this but the reality is that raid guilds need certain class makeups and just playing whatever you want or enjoy the most isn't always possible. Seems like there are always more warrior wannabes than roster spots, and always less cleric mains than the guild really needs. Personally I don't see how anyone could sit in cheal rotations for hours on end each night for the first few expansions without getting at least a little bit bored of the class, but I'm glad there are people who enjoy it--and I'm glad there are people who will play classes like cleric or druid because it's needed too even though it's not necessarily their first choice, because without guys willing to do that, few raiding guilds would have much success at all.
  17. Lozack New Member

A cleric is a very rewarding class. You can make or break a raid. However, it is not a class for everyone. A good cleric is always paying attention. If you like to AFK or pay attention half the time it is not the class you want to be.
    Crayon123, Irbax_Smoo and Trosh like this.
  18. Irbax_Smoo Augur

Lazy and inattentive are certainly not in my personality description. lol

On my bard I continued to twist songs after they put in /melody (+ switching instruments w/o a bandolier), because I could get more songs going. :x Granted, that was mostly to keep myself from getting bored and I've toned down a bit since then.

Definitely leaning 99.99% toward Cleric now.
    Crayon123 and Zoggzog like this.
  19. Crayon123 Augur

Excellent. Now we can high-five and talk about super secret cleric stuff over our morning tea. That and how we're going to camp Lord Gimblox together until our eyes bleed.
    Irbax_Smoo and Soltara like this.
  20. Zephyroth Elder

Can i be your friend even if im half cleric ? I can't resist that Nature's defender, way to good looking
    Irbax_Smoo and Crayon123 like this.