Oh God Help, I haven't played in like 10 years

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Tizerak, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Tizerak New Member

Oh my god really... when did they change it so that you can actually de-level
  2. Yther Augur

Not sure what you're referring to in this thread, but afaik you'll always been able to delevel, and used to be very common for Necros to get EEs by sacrificing toons and deleveling them. You may be referring shrouding, which allows you to play as equal or lower level (varies by level) monster. See any Shroudkeeper (Spirit Shrouds) in Plane of Knowledge. Simply right-click on them to bring up the window.

If it's something else, please explain.

Yther Ore.
  3. Tizerak New Member

Maybe it was you can't delevel if you're max level? (which I guess now is 100) I just remember being max level and not losing exp to delevel (but I may be on crack or something then if I'm wrong).
  4. Tizerak New Member

would it be worth it to continue doing the epic weapon questline? I have my Fiery Defender (I guess that's 1.0)
  5. Yther Augur

Can't with sacrifices at max level no. Can still just die alot to delevel, although that's alot of dieing without rezzes.

Yes, the clickies on the 1.5 / 2.0s make them forever worthwhile. They are good ratio weapons at 65 and 70 until about 80, when you can get better ratio groupable / trade-able weapons. The both 1.5 and 2.0 generally only have 2-3 fights that need more than just a well equipped / AA'd player and a merc, and if you stay in /general you can sometimes see Anguish Orbs rotting for 2.0s to avoid needing people for those encounters. 1.0s except for Clr and Rng, aren't that good any more.

Yther Ore.
  6. Wizadress Senlainae Elder

First off, Welcome Back!

To answer your questions to my knowledge ...
    1. Why did that blue con snake kick my ***? ---- So many things, bad gear, maybe had a poison DoT on you, lag spikes ... even greens can kill!
    2. Is there an easy way to heal myself while I have something targeted? ---- The efault should be hittis the tilde (~) key, but I set mine to Q, so hitting it once foes back to me, I heal, then hitting Q again targets the last mob you had targeted.
    3. Does leveling still take like 10 years? ---- Within 2 weeks I was level 51. So no, though I hear it slows down around 60 or 70
    4. Tome of Hero's Journey - what are Adventure's of Noteworthy Difficulty? - They are different quests you can work on. Not sure exactly why they call it that, but here is a link on Zam for one of them. Charm of Lore
    5. I'm wearing like Scaled Knight's gear and a Greatstaff of Misery, where do you go gear up? ----I don't know much about high level gear, but there is now sets called _____ Defiant Plate/Chain/Leater/Silk gear. They have a min and req level which gets better (if you wear at minimum level, it will "grow" with you til max level on the gear). Maybe someone can tell you what the specific one you need is.
    6. In my account info under EQ it says this: [snip] Where are all these in game items and exp potions? All I got when I logged in was a book. ---- Hit /claim to see them.
    7. Where/how do you get a Mercenary?---- Go the the Plane of Knowledge, hit the Find button on your action window, and look for NPCs called High Elf Mercenary, and the like. Here is a list of what races can be what mercenary types.
  7. Tizerak New Member

I wonder if there's a good undead area for me to get exp since I have at least 1 rank of undead slaying. Though it sounds like you should stick to "Hot Zones"?

I'm kinda currently working on the Wanderlust / Librarian quests for the Charm/Socket thingy, but my goodness do I need to get some planar power AA's since with the defiant gear I'm pass the stat cap. Also, what is this power source? I picked one up off the bazaar +100 power or something no clue what it does.
  8. Naeelin New Member

My only advice to you, start a new toon and get a feel for the game again. Plus, you can use the /claim command in game to get your goodies. Granted I could get my mage back, as well as my other old toons. But I find it much easier to start fro m the very beginning.
  9. Yther Augur

From Almar's guides: Almar's Everquest Leveling Guide: 57-65 Crypt of Nadox and Almar's Everquest Leveling Guide: 65-70 Wall of Slaughter (Undead Murkgliders)

Any armor with a Purity rating on it, will use the effects of the powersource. The amount of Purity is a Percentage of the max effects of the powersource.

Slot 13 aug slots, are for Purity improvement augs for armor. So if your basic armor piece has a Purity 50, and you add a Purity 25 slot 13 aug to it, you'll get Purity 75, or 75% of the effects of the powersource for that piece of armor. Most purity augs are destroyed on removal.

Thankfully, they now only drain power while you are in combat, so you can leave them in the slot all the time. Originally they drained all the time.

There are raid purity aug slots too. See the table at http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Items_Augmentation -- Although you seem to know the basics, the table lists all the types of aug slots and augs that go in them.

Yther Ore.
  10. Tizerak New Member

I'm confused, I went to my Pally GM to see if I could train in anything new since I've been gone but like Triple Attack and Research are in the list but the train button is grayed out.
  11. Yther Augur

If Research is anything other than 0, you won't be able to. It's a tradeskill and they only allow you train till 20 or so, and Research as soon as you put 1 point in, you get to your level + 1, iirc, which would put you over the training limit. Triple Attack is probably maxed out, as it generally requires AAs to raise the cap for Pal and Shd. You may want to check your skills window (inventory window, skills button) to see if you're maxed or not also, as Pal / Shd don't get much Triple Attack (if any, although I think they get a very small amount now) without AAs.

And about an earlier post, The TSS aug and charm are nice, the Giants, Giants, Giants quest is currently available and if you've upgraded your gear much, you might or probably will be able to get better than the TSS charm aug soloing / moloing it.

Yther Ore.
  12. Tizerak New Member

I appreciate everyone's help so far (especially Yther, holy crap you must have been playing forever). I learned about veteran awards and I apparently had 8 years built up for 8 of the ... 14 rewards? The double exp one is amazing! Still not sure if I'm gonna pay to play again or buy the last xpac yet (though it is annoying I can't make any money on the bazaar). Well I thought of some more specific questions.

1. Reliving my pally is fun, but unless it's undead, yeesh his dps is low, I have a 40ish monk are they still good? I'd like to play a high risk / reward class; not really sure if I wanna do a caster though, do Rangers' archery still suffer from line of sight / stuff too far into the wall / arrows being blocked by objects stuff?

2. Loyalty Points - I have like 2.4k The bag seems nice, or one of the earrings for when I can equip them, thoughts?

3. The Shroud tab - is that just for the whole, become a lower level creature thing?

4. Mercenaries - for my pally at least, I HATE the tank one, I'd rather just heal myself and have something DPS, I claimed one of the clockwork bot "rogue" mercenaries, are those or the wizard types better / and real difference between journeyman & apprentice?

5. Quest progression - besides the "Hotzone" quest you can do every 20 hours, are there zones with large quest hubs?

6. I'm using the old old Shissar Fangs in my ammo slot for a little stat boost, is there better stuff these days?

7. Is Research worth it anymore or taking Hybrid Research AA's?

8. Where the heck do you get weapon / Type 4? Augments, I never see any on the bazaar.

9. Armor Buffs like Ferocity 1-etc. do these stack at all? Like if you have Ferocity 2 on one item and 3 on another do you receive the benefits of both or just the higher level one?

10. This is a 14 year old game or w/e ... my PC can handle games like Far Cry 3 / Hitman Absolution / Crysis / etc. on full graphics but my FPS drops like crazy in areas like the Guild Lobby, what gives!
  13. Yther Augur

1: Yea, monks are still good. Yes, Ranger archery still has many restrictions (like they've been saying for years they were going to remove the loss of dps vs. rooted and/or non-stationary mobs), but their best dps is from melee in general. Only with disciplines and AAs does the Archery over take melee dps, in general. Some tricks like headshotting high hp, low level mobs will give better dps from archery, but what do expect with Headshots doing 65-150+K damage. I used Trueshot with Headshots on a Rivervale guard or something, 40ish level, that had around 2Million HPs, and had an unbelievable DPS rating. Oops getting off topic a bit.

2: Loyalty points I'm not too up on, as I only use them to buy bags of platinum or some alternative currency if I need it. Nice tanking augs from Fenden Helter.

3: Yea, it just shows shroud experience and progression. Not really important, as the only two that is a definite to have is goblinoid rogue and is kobold that is the cleric? (Rog for Sneak/Hide, and Clr for DA/DB), which is already unlocked. A few of them are kinda unique with two skills at the same time you can't get anywhere else, but those all need lots of shrouding experience to unlock them. See http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-17045.html for a good guide.

4: Rogue is probably more appropriate since you're a melee class. Rogues are definitely better at lower levels, as the Wizards go oom alot, and Rogues go pretty much non-stop, and even a fairly long time on Burn stance with their Endurance. For Tanks, J1 upto the 60s handles multiple reds without heals, versus A5 needing some med time or heals for a single stream of non-casting easy reds. For Rogues, the defensive difference is there, just not as noticeable, since they're not suppose to be tanks, but can blue cons fairly well. Where you really notice it is the DPS, although it's not a ton, it is noticeable. I haven't parced it, but appears to be about 10-15% loss going from J1 to App5. Tanks are the only way to go until the 60s. They're just that tough and powerful. Clerics pretty much bite until the 40s when they get Complete Heal, and finally quit running out of mana just buffing themselves. In case I hadn't already linked them, the following two threads are pretty informative about mercenaries: Advice on Mercs and Controlling Mercs.

5: Since they put spells upto level 90 for sale in PoK, that removed alot of spell quest series. They can still be done to get Rk IIs on the 71+ spells. Hand aug (Jonas Dagmire's Skeletal Hand), Face aug (Model XLII Spatial Temporal Oculus) are two fairly long quest series, but with nice rewards. For a few years the face aug was the only item with endurance regen on it. Might look at some recent expansion progression guides, as most have a series of quest arcs to do, that are descent. See http://rasper.samanna.net/ or http://eq.zam.com/wiki/EQ:Expansions or http://eq.zam.com/wiki/ -- There are many others as well, including http://eqresource.com/ -- Oh, epic 1.5 and 2.0 are moderately long quests with nice rewards. I think I may have mentioned it already but DoN progression (Good Evil) is good to do. MPG group trials raise the resist caps, although there are only 6 of them and only take 20-30mins to do, just 2hr lockout after doing one. Seeds of Destruction Rathe progression line unlocks, Journeyman Tier 5 mercs, if you go gold.

6: Most Paladins I know, use bows and magic arrows, although there are better Ranged slot, if you use the Bandolier function. If you're meaning for your Monk, longflight javelins are nice once you're upto a level to use them. There are some heavy, but NPC purchasable magic items for lower levels. The Best Ranged DPS ratio item in the game that isn't a GM gift or other never-to-be-seen-again item is Monk-only, called Shuriken of the Tranquil:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=62

7: Research will get you the Rk IIs of 71+ level spells / tomes, but they're not a huge improvement over the Rk Is available in PoK. Research also doesn't work for the newest expansion(s), as it's always at least 5 levels behind, if not 10 of the max level. So, no, it's not very good or worthwhile. It was ok, before the PoK revamp of 1-90 spells / tomes, when you still had to do series of quests to get alot of spells, or farm alot.

8: Slot 4 Augs with a Proc of these there is Melee Augment vendors (Gemcrafters) in every city, LDoN points purchase-able augs, DoN crystal purchase-able augs. There are some dropped in higher zones as well, and purchasable with alternative currency from the newer expansions. You'll probably want to look at Special Procs and particularly Aggro Procs. Paladin weapons generally focus on Rune procs which generate AE aggro.

9: Worn buffs do not stack. You only get the best appropriate one. Spell foci with differing limits may give benefits to different spells, so having more than one can be prudent, but in general, especially the melee focus like ferociy, only the best is ever in play.

10: It's probably more bandwith, as you have to get position, and item, texture, and color info on every player, merc, pet, etc. in the zone, and the Guild Lobby always has 100+ players (let alone pets, mercs, and familiars) it seems. It can be graphics though too. Turning the far clipping plane down alot helps for such zones. The thread at http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/performance-settings-everquest.4304/ has a nice detailed listing of all of the in-game Options (Alt+O - Display tab) settings.

Yther Ore.
  14. Danite Lorekeeper

I would recommend starting a lvl 1 on yer main account and pr it with a shaman on a f2p account get it to grping range of yer Pally . A Shaman will slow and buff u and yer mercs if u are intent on tanking get yourself a heal merc and get the shaman a dps there shouldn't be any reason that duo or box set couldn't get to 90 in a few weeks.
  15. Danite Lorekeeper

i would also recommend letting ppl know what server u are on as many ppl have alts that could show u around or know of guilds on the server u play on that would be a good fit
  16. Malkavius Augur

I would really recommend starting a new class. Tanks require immense time and dedication to become even semi viable in groups. Need thousands of AAs, some of the best gear to even match a tank mercenary. If you want to play the pally mostly solo and to get back into the swing of things then stick with him. But don't expect to be a tank without many months dedicated just to your pally. Also at level 65 the rogue merc barely if at all out damages the tank merc. The tank merc can take 5 times as much damage as you and you will both be constantly hitting the mobs so you won't need to heal as often.

I would recommend going with your monk or starting a new class though.
  17. Tizerak New Member

I was lucky to find my old Inoruuk server with all my toons (I have 7/4 slots filled hah) but it's the Erollisi Mar - The Nameless server? And I guess because I have been a paying customer way back in the day my account is Silver atm, though I may buy the final Xpac / go gold at some point.
  18. Tizerak New Member

Other questions I've thought of:
    1. Besides the Anniversary scavenger hunt, /claim rewards, the veteran reward ability, are there other ways of obtaining bonus exp potions and the like?

2. Merc races - does the race of a merc matter? Like if you picked a gnome tank over a barbarian (theoretically speaking) or that red boned undead merc I can /claim

3. How many buffs/debuffs is the cap without Mystical Attuning? Do songs/auras count towards that?

... all I can think of at the moment

EDIT:
    4. Oh! how good are the bash damage AA's?

5. Easy / Good bags to get? I have Traveler's Rucksack, Rallic Pack

6. I'm in LFGuild to try and find a guild, but no luck so far :/ any suggestions?
  19. Yther Augur

1: /marketplace with station cash (basically 1SC = 1cent of real money, unless you get it using a game card on a double or triple weekend).

2: No. Look is just illusion. They are indifferent to everything, but the Rogue merc still sneaks / hides when not in combat so it feels more like a real Rogue. Appearence changes when they level sometimes (different weapons, what not), but the con display may not, and is just a bug, as they really did level with you. Every once in a while there are bugs with certain merc races, so for a short time they will be different than others.

3: 15, but one of the DoN progression AAs gives another buff slot also, and levels add a few, I think it's 18 at 70 or 75+ without DoN nor Mystical Attuning AAs. Depends on which window they appear in. The song window is also limited, but I'm not up on the exact amount. Some bards may know, and probably know what monsters are limited to there, as there has been discussion of needing it raised for raid targets.

4: Not sure, but if it's a 65 or lower AA, it's probably very nice for the few AAs it takes. Almost every core (not stat AAs raising, not cap raising ones, are not needed any more) AA at that level range is very nice. Might try searching for it. TheSteelWarriors.com should have some parsing info it.

5: There's a quest. From crystilla's quest by expansion list on eqclerics.com forums:
    2) Large slot bags
    - Midway down this link it shares how to obtain 16, 18, 22, 24 and 28 slot bags.
    3) 32 slot bag and raid speed mount with hp/mana
    - This shows what you can get for doing everything in the expansion.
    -- If you're maxed in Tailoring it's not hard to make some of them. Although not currently up-to-date, you may be interested in the Containers page.

6: If you're already in game, try asking in /general and/or checking the /lfguild boards / windows. I think that command brings it up, but if not, you can click on the bulletin boards in the Guild Lobby to bring it up. The forums are a bit slow, as people don't check them every day (Even I skip several days from time to time :p ).

Yther Ore.
  20. moogs Augur

It helps to have a gnome or halfling mercenary, only because they are pre-shrunk and therefore easier to handle in dungeons and other tight terrain. Otherwise, no difference at all.

Try the bulletin boards. If you find a guild description that might sound like it could be a good fit, try looking up their web forums and rules. After that, do a /who all guildname and see if you can get in contact with some of their members. For example, my current guild is Disciples of the Rising Fire, so /who all disciples will return a list of online guild members.