Oh God Help, I haven't played in like 10 years

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Tizerak, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Tizerak New Member

I stopped playing around Gates of Discord.
    I decided to try the free to play on Steam, luckily all my toons still exist.
    Using my level 65 HE Pally atm.
    And I have a billion questions!
    1. Why did that blue con snake kick my ?
    2. Is there an easy way to heal myself while I have something targeted?
    3. Does leveling still take like 10 years?
    4. Tome of Hero's Journey - what are Adventure's of Noteworthy Difficulty?
    5. I'm wearing like Scaled Knight's gear and a Greatstaff of Misery, where do you go gear up?
    6. In my account info under EQ it says this:
    • 4 Experience Potions + 1 Big Bag
    • Entitlement: Base Game
    • Entitlement: Depths of Darkhollow
    • Entitlement: Dragons of Norrath
    • Entitlement: Gates of Discord
    • Entitlement: House of Thule
    • Entitlement: Legacy of Ykesha
    • Entitlement: Lost Dungeons of Norrath
    • Entitlement: Omens of War
    • Entitlement: Planes of Power
    • Entitlement: Prophecy of Ro
    • Entitlement: Ruins of Kunark
    • Entitlement: Scars of Velious
    • Entitlement: Secrets of Faydwer
    • Entitlement: Seeds of Destruction
    • Entitlement: Seeds of Destruction Veteran Status
    • Entitlement: Shadows of Luclin
    • Entitlement: The Buried Sea
    • Entitlement: The Serpents Spine
    • Entitlement: Underfoot
    • EverQuest Silver Membership
    • In game Item: A piece of Furniture
    • In game Item: Bayle Marks
    • In game Item: Experience Potions
    • In game Item: Welcome Back Ornamentation
    • In game Item:Mercenary
    • In game Item:Welcome Note
    • In-Game Item: Bridle of the Corrupted Sokokar
    • In-Game Item: Mark of Brell
    • In-Game Item: Sceptre of Draconic Calling
    • In-Game Item: Taelosian Morphemic Staff
    • In-Game Item: Underfoot Convorteum Bonus Item
    • In-Game Items: EQ Living Legacy Promo Items
    • In-game Item: EQ 10th Anniversary Cake
    • LoN: Scenario
    Where are all these in game items and exp potions? All I got when I logged in was a book.
    7. Where/how do you get a Mercenary?
  2. Sebbina Augur

Plane of Knowledge are various races for mercs, i suggest a smaller race, and a tank at that, Mercs auto gear and skill up and you can heal so a tank assistant will be handy if you are solo. You could get back into the groove in an old kunark zone , like droga mobs top out at 60 ish, if you set for a spell in guild lobby when not planning to adventure (ie at work or such) as a 65 you can get highest buffs and be in good shape for a while. Find a family type guild and gettign to 80- 85 shouldnt be over hard.
  3. Yther Augur

1: Con system changed many years ago. Blue cons are now 1 to 5 levels below you, instead of as much as 15. Light blue is 6 - 15ish? (varies by level) below you. Green is upto 5 levels below Light Blue and Grey are below that and non-experience mobs.

Also, you may be under-geared or AA'd by today's standards.

2: Only if you get Self-only heal spells (I don't remember any or AAs off-hand). Next thing is to setup the keys to toggle between you and your target. I can't remember if one is set by default or not, as I've changed mine many many years ago. You go to Options (Alt+O) - Keys tab - Target drop-down menu to find it. There are many other nice keys you can set up now too, like cycling NPCs or PCs or other things. Like myself / target cycle is the Q key for me, so, I hit Q, hit a heal, hit Q again. There are other more involved ways to do it, like using the Extended target window and macros, but I find the cycle key the easiest and fastest.

3: No. For people that know what they're dong and without any real twinking, other than maybe a descent ratio weapon for melee / hybrids, getting to 65 and a few 100 AAs, can be done as fast as a day, but more likely a few days, and possibly a few weeks for those just starting out / returning, that don't know the tricks, or what not. It's still slow going at the top 20 levels and over 4000 AAs (really it's noticeably slower by 2000 AAs). This doesn't mean you can't take your time if that's what you're after.

4: See Hero's Journey Achievements: An Overview. Basically, they're achievements (See /ach in-game command), that use quests or what not to add additional rewards. Generally they are a series of quests. It's a free, quest-based way to get defiant level gear, as well as the original quest rewards.

5: Defiant, specifically Elegant Defiant gear or it's equivalent from Hero's Journey achievements or a claimable item (forget the name, but if you have it, it'll show around 999 available, but only 1 claim per toon). There are alot better weapons also in the bazaar, at 65, they'll mostly be from Secrets of Faydwer expansion with 65 req level and 70 rec. level. More about claims in next answer.

6: /claim in-game command or use the EQ button to find Claims to bring up the window. See http://www.paullynch.org/tnzfaq/?page_id=355 for a list of the items, and the armor / weapon one, is Gift of Legacies Lost but read the page on them first, before claiming any.

7: See any Mercenary Liason (generally on Find (Ctrl+F)) in any city zone for that race, or in PoK for all the races and alternatives. See http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Mercenaries, Advice on Mercs, and Controlling Mercs.

Some other advice. You may want to look up the expansion notes to see all the things that have changed since you left at http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Expansions -- There is now Guild Tribute as well as Personal Tribute, the Guild Lobby and instanced Guild Halls and personal and Guild housing. Audio Triggers may be helpful and are a newer feature. DoN progression is good to work on (Good Evil). Best Defensive Augs and Slot 4 Augs with a Proc should be of some use. Note the bold Best Def. Augs entries, as those should be good to go after, and the Melee Augs in the slot 4 augs page, as those are purchasable from Gemcrafter NPCs for platinum in every city. Don't forget to speak to Franklin Teek in Plane of Knowledge about Hotzone tasks. There are some others you may want to check out in PoK as well, like the non-visible Defiant jewelry sellers (Keefe Stearns and the NPC next to him). Along with potion merchants (Ctrl+F). Instead of the defiant you may rather go with crafted jewelry (See http://www.kyros.info/Tradeskills/JC-Calc/ ) and eventhough not listed, various cut Underfoot Diamonds are now the best slot 11 augs for them, rather than the listed Taaffeites.

I lost my train of thought, so I'll stop there.

Yther Ore.
  4. Tizerak New Member

Thank you for the info Ythre, I'm still feeling completely overwhelmed by... what the hell to do lol; maybe I'll just start a brand new character to get acclimated again, idk
  5. Yther Augur

That's always a good idea. The tutorial teaches alot of the newer features of the game, and helps re-familarize you with the UI and mechanics of it.

Yther Ore.
    moogs likes this.
  6. Zepha Journeyman

First off...what Yther said lol. He has helped me alot I have only been back a few weeks but loving the game again. Only thing I can add is if you start a new character you can get to 65 like your Pally is now in a very short amount of time. Leveling is much improved over what it was up to that point. I haven't gone past 65 on any toons since coming back, but getting to there is light speed compared to what you were used too when you quit.
  7. NickDanger Elder

Be prepared to be shocked. That level 9 or 10 character you finish the tutorial with will be amazingly better equipped than your old character.
  8. Borek-VS Augur

Another answer for 1. -

Blue snakes from more recent expansions will kick your butt much faster than a blue snake from an older expansion :).
  9. Tizerak New Member

I guess I've been spoiled by WoW now, how do you "level faster" these days? Is it more like WoW where you have quest hubs that move you along or are there zones with bonus exp still? Are there merchants I can buy upgrades for my pally or a set of gear I can buy from PC's? I still have about 120k plat rollin around.
  10. moogs Augur

Check out the Bazaar at the west end of POK.

/baz or /bazaar

Use the filters for your race, class, level...and search term "defiant" sort by Armor Class.
  11. Zepha Journeyman

The 'level faster' is just how the changed XP in general. To give you an example I took my 4 box from 20 to 35 in a couple of hours last night. Hell levels alone back in the day could have taken a few hours. Compared to WoW I think leveling in here is as fast or faster to get to 60 than it was in WoW now. Hot zones are nice, but it seems pretty quick no matter where you go. Took a boxed group over to Unrest and wasn't disappointed with the XP...or the lack of 'TRAIN TO ZONE!!' when I was there lol.

Like Moogs said check out the bazaar since you have some cash. Buy as much of a set of defiant gear as you can get so long as its not crazy priced. Starting out will be Crude/Simple/Rough defiant is how it progresses. The stats are pretty nuts, and you can get a decent set of gear going just from going through the tutorial. If you only end up with about 3-4 pieces honestly you would be fine for quite a while till you can quest/loot/buy the rest.

My 4 box right now I think might have a full set of armor/rings/etc between the 4 of them...levels go by so fast don't hesitate to pick up say the simple or rough instead of the crude defiant gear. It will be active for you before you know it.
  12. Yther Augur

Use a Journeyman Tier 1, if available, or highest Tier Apprentice tank mercenary. They make leveling much easier and generally safer, unless you're really bold and adventurous (or foolhardy :) ). Also, the better gear makes it easier to handle harder mobs. The J1 merc can handle multiple reds without heals, the App5 merc can handle an almost steady of easy single reds, but eventually will need to med or heals. App5 are also more vulnerable to dots, as they don't have as much HP regen. Basically a J5 is like the most twinked out War you could have until the 60s (other than weapon ratio, at lower levels).

Like moogs said, defiant gear. Specifically for your level is Elegant Defiant. Defiant is globally dropped from level appropriate mobs, so there generally starts being some in the 60+ range in the bazaar. Lower level, there is generally less to pick from in the bazaar, as most people wear what they can find while leveling, and leveling is so fast until you start working on AAs. AAs are extremely fast now also, espeically at low AA count, and it is not dependant on level on how fast you get AAs. White cons provide the same AA exp no matter what level you are, this is of course assuming same zone experience modifier and the like.

With 120K you can probably afford a full set of Elegant Defiant (if you can find all the slots) and a full set of Dwerium Trio jewelry and augs. See the previously mentioned Kyros link, and the following thread for more detailed info on the newer Jewelry system: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=1&mid=1362023233214686854

Yther Ore.
  13. Borek-VS Augur

If OP is still 65 (which is questionable :)), he can't equip Elegant Defiant - that requires, I think, level 70. From 59+, he can equip Elaborate Defiant. There's usually a lot of lower level Defiant in the Bazaar as well, not just Elaborate and Elegant, although Elaborate is the first tier that I would actively seek out rather than grab as drops.

I know I've said this before, but my basic gear strategy for new characters is as follows:
    • If melee, pre-buy some decent weapons in the Bazaar, no level required
    • Claim some bags
    • Open barrels in the tutorial for cash and bags
    • Do the tutorial quests for the Defiant equivalent gear
    • Wear Defiant upgrades that drop for me
    • at 59, buy Elaborate Defiant
    • at 65 (if melee), check Bazaar for weapon upgrades
    • At 80, check the Bazaar again for weapons/gear (and the HoT/etc special currencies)
  14. Yther Augur

Yea, it is and was suppose to be Elaborate. At least it's correct in the original reply with a link to the stuff. :)

Yther Ore.
  15. Tizerak New Member

Hmmm can my character even go back to his starting area to do the tutorial/get tutorial stuff?

Also, thanks a lot for the help gang.

And... man I really miss the classic character models is there anyway to get those back? (I think you need them for mounting tho?)
  16. Tizerak New Member

...you gotta be kidding me... I can't buy straight from the bazaar window or locate traders?
  17. Yther Augur

You have to be in the bazaar and in the right area for the Locate Trader to work. Red on the map, which is the NE tunnel to the teleporter in the North from the center, circular area from PoK. That is, from PoK, head West to the big circular room, once there, take a right, and the next right to the teleporter, then you'll be in the Red (I think, it'll definitely be the seller area) area and can use the Locate Trader button.

If you're below (or maybe at too) 10th level, you can /camp out to character select then hit the Enter Tutorial button. And if you're talking about your Paladin, don't worry about going back. The gear you are wearing is better than the tutorial stuff, just not by alot, and you can get way better in the bazaar, from loot (get the best Tier tank merc, and they'll help you farm some of it), or doing the Hero's Journey achievements, or other quests.

On the launcher, hit the gears in the lower left portion of the screen, that will bring up the out-of-game Options window where you can deselect advanced models. Be warned though, all races but Humans require advanced models to use mounts.

Yther Ore.
  18. Tizerak New Member

It looks like there are exp potions? (I don't remember these but I can reclaim some from the rewards) What are the best/easiest kind to get when I run out of claimed ones?
  19. Yther Augur

You can buy them with Station Cash from the /marketplace. While it's still anniversary month, you can do the 6th anniversary scavenger hunt for a 1 time per toon, 10-dose 100% exp potion. (See EQ Sixth Anniversary Scavenger Hunt )

Not sure if they still do it, but during zone revamps during the summer, the certain mobs would drop exp potions. After looking up a mob, I see reports of no spawns the last few years, probably because you can buy them in the marketplace now.

Yther Ore.
  20. Borek-VS Augur

You can reenter Gloomingdeep up to level 10 (or gate back in up to level 15, if you were bound there).

If you go to Game Options from the launcher, you can select old character models.