Oakwynd may have Finally done me in.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Shaidin, May 28, 2023.

1. Moforyguy12345 Augur

Call it whatever you want. The fact is that random aspect being gone takes away MULTIPLE scenarios that could play out like Ballzz said. People getting wiped, people helping res, people making friends because of it. Memories being made....all of this goes away. Now you just watch people slowly die and no one helps anyone. It your main argument is "well if you like trains then you are the one that trains people" is stupid. All it would take is slight effort to police their own game that we all pay monthly for. By far the fastest TLP me and my homies have quit.
    Ballzz likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And you also have people leaving the game because the get repeatedly trained for various reasons such as someone wanting to take the mobs that they are camping or are afraid that the group will take what they want.

Having your gameplay interrupted because someone decides to train mobs to where you are isn't good for the game.
    code-zero and Rijacki like this.
  3. Moforyguy12345 Augur

So you think this change is going to be bringing NEW people to the game? Its been going steady for 24 years now. The biggest complaint I hear about TLP's are the bots/krono farmers. Trains is a PART of the game. They could just ya know....do their job and respond to tickets about training...ya know...work.
    Kraked likes this.
  4. Kraked Augur

I think we had more people leave because of the implementation of FTE than because of "Trains".
    We will know for sure in the next week or so.
    Doze likes this.
  5. Ash W. New Member

I believe this is a thinly veiled shill thread to attempt to have people turn to diablo when it releases... got some news for ya bud, blizzard is in a bad way right now.. and i dont see it getting any better. They've destroyed any good will they had left with the playerbase, and i would say adding the wow token to classic was the final nail in the coffin. Not to mention all the woke bs they are forcing into games.

Btw... the diablo 4 early release for all non-pc ports was terrible. People figured out if they bought a 1.99 microtransaction, it would allow them to actually play the game they bought... that definitely builds trust and faith in their rotten, corrupt company!
  6. Kraked Augur

The reviews from my friends who pre ordered, all love it.

Although I do agree with your assessment about blizzard lol.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I never said anything about bringing people to the game, just pointing out that having your playtime interrupted by others bad behavior doesn't make for good game play or help keep people around in the game. Just because the game has allowed something in the past doesn't mean that it should have or that should be allowed to continue.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Considering that the server is just over a week old I think that is to early to say and as it is still regularly at a high population level the server is still doing fine. Besides they still have plenty of servers to play on that don't have the new FTE ruleset.
    Rijacki likes this.
  9. Ballzz Journeyman

This is a straw man argument. Including FTE doesn't prevent you from being griefed by players it just shifts the method by which players can grief you.

Who said anyone was basing the "entirety" of fun on anything? I think you probably understand perfectly well what I was saying but are being obtuse. The point was that EQ has always had a freedom of action that modern MMOs all "fixed" out of the game and most modern MMOs suck. Yes that freedom does allow players to do bad things but it's typically (at least in my experience) a very small minority of players. How people deal with the freedom of action is what helps establish the sense of community that EQ is so good at and other MMOs don't have.

I am curious if you enjoy modern MMOs or if you prefer EQ? If you prefer EQ why would you want to change the elements of EQ that make it stand out from other MMOs? IMO it's bad enough that there are XP pots and all the other garbage but I supposed some of it might be needed at this point. However, I don't get why people want to change the unique elements of EQ.
    Doze, Nymm, Kraked and 1 other person like this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I never said that it prevented people from greifing others. My only statement that removing a method to grief players is a good thing and people (well most people) don't like getting trained.
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Ruhi Augur

if modern mmo's didn't have quest hub style leveling i'd probably play them. when eq introduces tasks, it's when i tend to stop playing on a tlp.

eq isn't a hard game. trains don't make it harder or more interesting. the whole theme of "trains bring together the community" is a weird take.
    code-zero and Rijacki like this.
  12. Kraked Augur

If you read my entire comment you would know I said "We will know for sure in about another week".
    I know the current state of the server, I see the peak numbers with my eyes as you zone, the non existent crowds in areas that are normally packed and so on.

FTE destroys any aspect of "randomness" happening.
    Sitting at a zone line you should have some sense of danger.
    I remember zoning into Lguk and seeing thousands upon thousands of corpses, now you see NOTHING in comparison.

Intentional training is one thing but majority of the EQ players are not training for the fun of it and if they are it is because you likely provoked them to do so.
    Doze likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Even next week is too early to determine how the server did, the D4 release may have an impact on the servers population but it may or may not be a long term impact. Also the population will change as the server progresses and it won't be fair to give it a judgement until later on though it is still maintaining a high server population.
  14. Kraked Augur

Classic is always the peak of the population for a TLP.
    The only place to go now is "Down".
    D4 may have an impact but I am not optimistic that it is that significant.

Each expansion release you will have returning players that want to rush for the level increase and some easy KR, then bail like they did before.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And classic is going to last longer then 2-3 weeks, there might be a decrease for the D4 launch and it might also recover after people get started in D4 and move back to playing Oakwynd as well.
  16. Kraked Augur

In the end, time will tell.
    If the discords and forums are any indication, I believe you to be incorrect.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes, time will tell but the next couple of weeks are unlikely to be enough to get an accurate answer.
  18. Doze Augur

As weird takes go then ... quitting an RPG because it gets more quests and not wanting a MMORPG to generate communities that are shaped as a result of players interacting with the content ... are guaranteed winners ...
    Ballzz likes this.
  19. code-zero Augur

In the more than 20 years that I have played a Bard I have never in that entire time seen some sort of strong community bonding arise from a training incident. Being frequently outside of the camp when pulling I could often see the train being built and coming and I never felt anything except malice toward the scum that did it. Oh yeah, they'd frequently offer to summon and rez or whatever and pretend that they had nothing to do with it. Now I never trained back but the sun rises high at times.
  20. Doze Augur

I however - in my 24 years of playing EQ - have ... several times.
    Thinking that sharing experiences and identifying common threats doesn't sometimes (more often than not) bring people together on common ground is not understanding how social relations, communities, entire societies and even nations come into existence to work together for common ideals, goals and/or mutual benefits.
    Community is at the core of what have allowed EQ to still be around today while most other MMORPGs have faded away long ago - even though they arrived much later than EQ did.
    Ballzz likes this.