No more Rasper's

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kukaw, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broncoandy New Member

Can't say I ever met Rasper. But Riou is like the Jesus of EverQuest. He cured my cancer with his lay on hands, and died for my sins on multiple occasions only to rise again. To this day I take a communion of water pods and iron rations at the statue / shrine I made for him on my lawn irl. And don't get me started on Rorce. Just the thought of his giant axe makes my nether regions tingle.
    Riou and Nolrog like this.
  2. Oranges Augur

Everyone using Rasper's, or Allakhazam, or Samanna or whatever site to look up quests, shows something offly wrong with game design.

If the quests were entertaining and simple enough to do no one would employ a guide.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Imrahil Augur

Pretty sure WoW let's you play as you seem to prefer.
  4. Rogue Augur

Guy acts like ROI has never got raids changed so they can beat them, after other guilds have beaten them, just so they can catch up.
    Marike, Leerah and Mellifleur like this.
  5. Dr. Giggles New Member

6. Shang Augur

I have no idea what you're talking about.
  7. Langya Augur

Just a bit of perspective:

Before people wonder what exactly does RoI contribute to the community as to give them a position from which to be critical of others who also contribute, some of their members are active on their class's respective boards promoting good technical game play. Some of them provide the information openly with a concern for the health of their class while others provide it with the usual elitist degree of condescension. IE: I am doing this begrudgingly to save you from your own ignorance and stupidity, etc.

RoI also tends to have the ear of the game devs to a certain degree, since they are that "pet" guild that gets to run through content first and then multiple passes after that prior to most people. Its doubtful that they get any special dispensation for it, but RoI probably spends more time in Beta than most and also spend the most time on new content until it is beaten compared to most. They are efficient, skilled and determined...and they know it and will freely hold over other people. Does that mean that RoI and its members have leverage? Of course it does. Do they attempt to exercise that leverage? Of course they do. Just like Rasper supposedly has in the past.

The difference here is RoI is a guild full of elite players enjoying the top position in the game with the devs looking upon them favorably as a useful resource for game development where as Rasper was perceived by some to be a mediocre rogue from a mediocre guild on a backwater server dispensing information that used to be on a "For me to know and you to find out" type basis who compared to RoI, had no right to be dictating terms. RoI and Rasper are both equally guilty, but it is sad to say that RoI can get away with it more readily since they are in a position of authority in the community. It is what it is. Double standards abound in game and in reality. Thus people like Shang, who for the most part contribute nothing other than what satisfies their own amusement, can continue to act the way they do from a position of authority just due to the people they are associated with. Kinda like the cop who treats the public at large with disrespect just because the badge and the gun says they can all the while taking kick backs from criminals to look the other way. Maybe he contributes to the ranger forums but I kind of doubt it. He seems to be the type to reply with "Suck less" or "Go eat cake" than to dispense any advice to other players on how to improve their game. Which is too bad, since it undermines the efforts of his guild mates who actually give a crap.
    Leerah likes this.
  8. Oranges Augur

what does that have to do with anything, I don't like WoW, are you trolling?

If a playerbase uses a third party site for every quest then something is wrong with the quests, no one even reads them or tries to figure them out. If no one cares to figure them out or reads them, and obviously very few do since I know almost every guild, especially raid guilds, use shortcuts and don't read the quest, don't even deny it, then there is something wrong with the quests or the focus on progression.
  9. Oranges Augur

wow and with that I just found out why Imrahil was so hostile to my post, any change to quests would mean a loss of the beta edge, what idiocy that I can't even discuss something that could help the game without realising some here have "for me to know" motives

rasper's was a threat to the beta advantage
  10. Shang Augur

Erm, I get the impression that you don't really know how things happen in this game, but want to have a scapegoat for things you don't understand.

Justifying myself to you would be as hard as convincing a morbidly obese person they should eat six twinkies instead of seven. You come in with preconceived notions, and you cling to them like they're bitter truths.
  11. Ronak Augur

Ok, I'll bite. What shortcuts do raid guilds use on quests? I read quests, they are not difficult to figure out, especially these days.
  12. Langya Augur

LOL, Oranges, you are just now figuring that out? The age old mantra of EQ has always been "The more you lose= the more I win". That is why sites like ZAM and Rasper who pretty much give away spoilers were not looked upon favorably. Thing is, those sites never had any bleeding edge raid tactics/strats so the EQ Rosetta Stone was safely tucked away from the prying eyes of the masses. Funny thing was that all you had to do was show up and pay attention while having somewhat of a basic understanding of your class and chances are good you will win. There hasn't been much change in how the game works in its 13+ years of being around.
    Mellifleur likes this.
  13. Langya Augur

Shang, whatever you say, no matter how articulately you try to say it, will do nothing to increase your worth from it's current value of zero. If you want to run your mouth, well people understand that it is your right to say whatever you want even if it is worthless. Rasper may have said some worthless stuff, but he also said plenty of useful things too which sadly for you gives him an edge over you.
  14. Shang Augur

All I hope, is that your armadillo shell hat you so happily sport also works against the homosexual agenda, communism, and the bubonic plague.
  15. Battleaxe Augur

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it's my understanding that SOE recognized Rasper's knowledge and/or contribution to the game with membership in one of the focus groups. They may or may not have adopted his point of view on some topics, but it appears that they wanted to hear it.
    Mellifleur likes this.
  16. Nolrog Augur

Raspers guides are very good. I'm glad Samanna has them hosted.
  17. Langya Augur

Too bad that it is the D-bags that are the most vocal in your guild. And you wonder where misconceptions come from. Do yourself a favor and shut them up, or does the arrogance of being the top guild mean you don't have to? No one is asking for you to turn into a bunch of Mother Terresas or anything. Be a part of the solution or be quiet is not too unreasonable, however.
  18. Langya Augur

Spoken like a true vinegar based feminine hygiene product. I'm a problem? For what? Sticking up for someone while you slander them? What have you done to make yourself any better than him, other than to justify the general arrogance of your guildmates? This thread is going to get locked for sure, but mind you it was people at your tier of play that launched the first volley when the option to just stay quiet was available. For most others here, either they don't care or consider YOU to be the problem. Hopefully MS knocks you off your pedestal in tier 3 and teaches you all some humility. You all deserve to get knocked down a peg. Maybe it will shut some of you up. Enjoy your Sunday.
  19. Shang Augur

Calling someone bad at EverQuest isn't really an insult or a volley.
  20. Hatsee Augur

As for the topic at hand, Rasper did a lot for the community and in the end he made a mistake out of carelessness or a lack of foresight. You can't make a guide based on privileged beta access and then withhold it and claim it will come out at such and such a time, OR earlier if you donate. I'll admit I donated but I also knew the guy somewhat and thought it was just a slip of common sense that I've seen thousands of times online, an error that shouldn't cost anyone their dignity or respect.

As for the rest of what's going on in here, what a libelous bunch of nonsense. I'd be banned for years if I wanted to address everything wrong here, and open up old rivalries long since dead that are best left that way.
  21. Rouan Augur

Nobody here holds grudges.

[IMG]

...although, Grudges may hold you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.