New Player... should I TLE on Mangler?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Saints, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Saints New Member

Really appreciate all the replies and wonderful feedback! Already love the community here!

I'm going to give it a shot with Mangler and see how it goes.
    Next to figure out what race, class, and all that other stuff that makes a new game exciting. I found pdfs of the prima guide and original manual, as well as some info from 1999 and will take it from there.

If there are any other resources anyone would like to recommend please let me know.
    Happy adventuring!
  2. EnchFWO Augur

Those guides and original info from back then are so outdated that they will probably mislead you. While they aren't necessarily TLP specific I would look at some of the more recent resources online and search through the forums here for questions (or even go to the archives).
    Saints likes this.
  3. Barton The Mischievous

Saints likes this.
  4. Vinlail New Member

I would also recommend going for Mangler, and will see you there. Selo's would be better for a player that has done all of the earlier expansions recently on other TLC servers.

I don't believe I've drowned, but I did die on my first character a few times when 'a' was the attack button, and forgot to hail first lol.
    Saints and Sethiroth like this.
  5. Gemstoner Elder

Heh, yeah i know what you mean about drowning .. my first character back at release was a barb shaman. So I think I drowned first trying to get out of town which helpfully put me outside to the bind point ... then I couldn't tell the ground from the sky in Permafrost so I kept running up the sides of the mountains only to die from falling damage. Then my friend made a high elf enchanter and I realized that it'd be easier just to reroll closer to her as a wood elf druid ... i mean their starting city couldn't be any more difficult than Halas/PF right?

/falls to his death from a ramp/elevator

In other words, yeah start on Mangler :)
    Saints likes this.
  6. Iyacc Augur

I never drowned but I fell out of Kelethin a few times while falling damage was still a thing.
    Saints likes this.
  7. Saints New Member

UPDATE 2.0 (heh) - Another friend is joining me, she use to play EQ (lifetimes ago) and we came up with a couple more questions:

1. Will this include the Graphic Update (Character Models)?

2. Should we static levels, or is there some leniency in exp gains if we are different levels?
    (FFXI was painful if you were like +/- 2 levels)

Thanks again all you wonderful people
  8. Koshk Augur

/fell to my death at the tree-city of Kelethin.
    /fell to my death much later in Velketor's Labyrinth.
    /drowned to death in Kedge Keep.
    /burned to death in a pool of lava in Sol A/B.
    /stranded in OOT for a day, when boats broke down.
    /slain by a Freeport guard, because clicked auto-attack instead of /hail. :rolleyes:
    /ran out of daylight in Kithicor Forest
    /suffocated in The Grey.
    /lost, disoriented, and stranded in The Hole
    /unplugged computer power cable from wall, to stop a death-loop in LGuk.
    /killed instantly by a stupid flying horse.
    Saints likes this.
  9. PwnQuest Augur

You can use the newer Luclin models, or the old classic models. It's really a personal preference thing but either option is available.

EQ is fairly lenient when it comes to level differential. You wouldn't want to be too far apart, but 2-3 levels apart wouldn't make a noticeable difference.
    Saints likes this.
  10. Saints New Member

That helps, good to know!

After doing more research a few more basic questions - if there is a better resource for these answers please direct me.

1. How has solo/duoing been on time-locked servers? Low level only?

I'm assuming most things will need groups, and am good with that.
    My friend is leaning towards Cleric (that is what she played before), and I was thinking of either: Enchanter, Wizard, or Necro. More towards Enchanter/Wizard if solo isn't really an option.

2. When it comes to Enchanter, are they the default 'puller' in group settings?
    (Maybe not the best role if that is part of the job with not really knowing the locations/dungeons).

All the feedback here is so incredibly helpful.
  11. Koshk Augur

In terms of gaining experience and levels? Most classes can solo. Some are far more speedy/efficient (Necro, Druid, Enchanter). Some really struggle at solo (Rogue,Warrior). Some classes cannot at the beginning, but become more efficient later (Shadowknight)

As a duo gaining experience and levels? No problem for the most part. I wouldn't say Rogue + Wizard is a great combo. But it could be done. Most duos will level just fine.

All that being said, typically (but not always) a full group will earn XP much faster. Simply because they're so fast and efficient at slaying.

In terms of defeating mini-bosses and acquiring valuable loot? Solo/duo will definitely struggle there. It's not impossible. Some combos are very strong (SK+Shaman, Enchanter+Druid). But for the most part, you do need a group to get "the good stuff".

Enchanters are amazing pullers. But that's not usually their role, unless there's no better option. Enchanters can only wear cloth armor. So they're very squishy. If something goes wrong during the pull, and your enchanter falls? Well, they're also your most valuable crowd-control class. And now they're dead, and you have to recover without their help.

You also want your enchanter sitting down, recovering mana quickly. Because they need that mana. If they're running around pulling, they're not recovering as quickly.

If your group has a Monk, Bard, Shadowknight, Paladin, or even Necromancer? Chances are they will be asked to pull instead.

But if the Enchanter needs to pull? Yes, they are fabulous at it.
    Saints likes this.
  12. EEpromm Lorekeeper

I think they're also firing up EQ2 progression servers at the same time as this, aren't they?
    Saints likes this.
  13. Koshk Augur

Forgot to mention. Cleric+Enchanter is arguably one of the strongest duos in EverQuest. Cleric + Necromancer would be less powerful, but more relaxed/casual.
    Saints likes this.
  14. Jadefox Augur

Saints likes this.
  15. Saints New Member

Thank you Koshk for all the details!

I just looked into this, they are! I'm going to double dip to start out. My friend is only going to play EQ so I'll probably play EQ2 in the off times. Gotta run around collect those shineys!
    Oh geeze, does EQ have shineys? May not have time for both if that is the case lol

Thanks Jade, I'll take a look!
    Jadefox likes this.
  16. EEpromm Lorekeeper

Nope, no shineys in eq.
    Saints likes this.
  17. Saints New Member

Greetings friends. Really found a lot of great answers and help here, so I have a follow up!

I was looking more into Necromancer, although I'm curious how bad it will be for someone's first go with EQ (with potentially being killed on site, general dislike from vendors, etc)?

To complicate this a bit more, I was considering Dark Elf, so how would that general dislike play on top of Necromancer?

Finally, is there any kind of rep grind or things that can be done to get in the good graces? If so, how feasible would this be to complete as a new player that wants to explore and discover, but is also racing the Time-Locked clock to stay current on updates?

Thanks again for the insight! ( For those following, Enchanter isn't off the table yet, just doing my homework).
  18. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Actually yes EQ does have shinies, but they don't come into the game until the 19th expansion, Rain of Fear. All expansions from that point on have shiny collectibles. In the context of the new TLP servers that is like a year and a half away for Selo, and several years away for Mangler.
    Saints likes this.
  19. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Being KOS in good areas is not really a huge issue. In classic you'll still have access to three cities by default to vendor/bank in, including your home city Neriak which is quite large and has everything.

You'll gain a lot of tools early on to help you navigate while still KOS in good cities. At level 4 you get the Gate spell to port back to your bind point. At level 5 all characters gain the Origin ability which is a port back to your guild in your home city. At level 7 you get Gather Shadows (self-only invisibility spell) that you can use for travel through good aligned cities. Then at level 12 you gain Bind Affinity which can reset your bind point. There's some restrictions on where you can bind, but it becomes pretty common practice to just bind near where you're killing, then Origin back home any time you need to vendor junk or buy spells etc. Then gate back to your killing area.

You can technically grind faction to allow for safer travel and vendor access in good cities, but it's a pretty long grind for minimal benefit. Typically unless there's a specific quest you want to do, it's not worth it to faction up in good cities. I can't think of many such appealing necro quests in classic era... I guess Stein of Moggok, but those will be available pretty cheaply either way.

EDIT: if your friend is playing a cleric they can also roll a dark elf and you're pretty set. Comes with the added racial benefit of having the Hide ability. They'll eventually need to buy some invisibility potions to get around since necros cannot invis other players.
    Saints likes this.
  20. Saints New Member

This is GOLD.

Is expansion content mostly neutral faction in the added areas?