New Player... should I TLE on Mangler?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Saints, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Saints New Member

Greetings!
    Played the lot of mmos from FFXI, WoW, SWG, TOR, Tera, GW1&2, and basically everything inbetween from basic content through server first kills in endgame raiding. My first MMO was EQOA which I only had a few dozen hours in, and although I've tried a little of EQ1, never really spent much time with it.

With a new Time Locked server coming, would this be a good jump in point, or is there just too much and I'll be steam rolled before I can get acclimated?

EQ2 is another game I didn't get to spend too much time with and I tried out Fallen Gate TLE server and had a lot of fun, but it felt like too much content already released and I was in the thick of and missed out on a lot.

Also, any 2019 new player tips are welcome. Thanks!
    Higgs Boson likes this.
  2. Saints New Member

I should clarify, for Fallen Gate on EQ2, a few of the expansions were already out. Really wish I got in on the ground floor.
  3. Harris77 New Member

Mangler, with its longer unlocks, would be a great server for you!
    Saints and Higgs Boson like this.
  4. Higgs Boson New Member

I'd say give it a try! It's an aged game but once you get past the 'vintage' feeling it's an amazing experience.

Timelocked server makes for a great chance to begin playing since it means you won't have to play catch up forever and you will find people to group!
    Saints likes this.
  5. PwnQuest Augur

I'd recommend Mangler to you, 3 months of classic is a very long time, i think you would have plenty of time to get acclimated. The boosted XP rates should also make it fairly easy to hit 50 before Kunark drops after the 3 months.
    Saints likes this.
  6. Saints New Member

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe this time I wont drown in the water at the start....
    (Everyone does that, right? haha)
  7. Lowlife Lorekeeper

I'm going to guess that lots of replies are going to recommend mangler because it has slower unlocks. I'm going to suggest selo because of the opposite. Since you're a modern MMO player without any nostalgia attached to any of these 20 year old expansions, you're going to get bored being stuck in Classic, Kunark, and Velious. There's very little content to do once you reach max level, and not a lot of zones that people will play in because of optimizations.

I would suggest catching the ride on selos and actually seeing some of the best expansions EQ has to offer, starting with Luclin. You get AA's and much more interactive raids quickly on this server than you will on Mangler. If you don't have any of this content as a new player my guess is that you'll be bored a month or two into Mangler and go back to a different MMO.

Unless you have crazy playtime you probably wont be able to get best in slot everything, every expansion.. but I'd argue that's very unimportant to progress and enjoy the content as you go. This game is not like WoW or other MMOs where every expansion resets the gear tier from the expansion before it. You can Ride out gear pieces for many expansions and be a valuable member in groups and raids.

Keep in mind its a 20 year old game, you'll be behind the curve but I bet you'll find lots of helpful people that will help you out.
    Shakara, code-zero and Saints like this.
  8. Sethiroth Augur

DO NOT do this. This server will be dead to everyone but hardcore raiders within 8 months. If you want time to learn the game, you’re best off on mangler. If you play on selos, you’ll just end up lost and confused. Selos is not a good idea for a new player.
    Sulle, orionfox, Duladin and 2 others like this.
  9. Saints New Member

Some good points too, I really welcome this input! I like that the gear could potentially last through some expansions - that is how FFXI was, and I so miss it.

I'm expecting the old-school feeling of this, and rather excited for it. I'll look into Selos too and weigh it out a bit.
    Thank you!
  10. Lowlife Lorekeeper

You're welcome. FYI Luclin launched in 2001, so you will still get a LOT of old school feel out of Selo.
    Saints likes this.
  11. Saints New Member

They make some good points. I think overall Mangler seems better suited for me though, as I do have time to invest.

I was a bit worried that 12 weeks between expansions wouldn't be enough time to explore... people played this content for years. I hope I get to see enough of it!
  12. Lowlife Lorekeeper

I disagree. There's already non-hardcore guilds recruiting for Selo. I think with double instance unlocks rate 3 and 4 night raid guilds will be very successful on this server. Also 8 months on Selos would allow this new player to see a lot more of the game than they would on Mangler. I think just seeing content is why a lot of people will return for this 20 year anniversary.
    Saints likes this.
  13. Evade Augur

This would be the best time ever to jump in. I myself just came back after 18 years and plan to start fresh on Mangler with everyone else. You get the 1999 experience, but with 20 years of game improvement and class balances. Sign me up
    Saints likes this.
  14. Evade Augur

lol!
    Saints likes this.
  15. Higgs Boson New Member

^This. Selos unlock rate is not really newbie friendly
    Saints likes this.
  16. Evade Augur

Well I played on eq p99 which was basically EQ at launch with exp rate as bad as can be. I managed to get to 50 in 2 months. If this was Mangler, I'd still have a whole month to farm for gear, level alts and raise tradeskills before kunark and then there's 3 whole months of kunark before velious and then 3 whole months after that. You got so much time you can be as casual as you want and still get everything done
    Saints likes this.
  17. PwnQuest Augur

Selo will be dead in under 6 months. 3 months in GoD is released, you do the math.
  18. code-zero Augur

Go with Selo, in 8 months the rabid hardcore raiders will all have been found dead at their computers if they attempt to keep up the pace that the Selo unlocks will give them. At the least they'll be bleeding from their eyeballs and have sworn off ever playing EQ again....

Okay exaggerating a bit but if you've never played EQ before Selo will be great because you will never know the difference anyway. Probably be a good idea to play a Vah Shir so you can have fast access to zones like Paludal Caverns which is some of the most fun playing EQ that there's ever been
  19. Tornat Augur

go make a character on live and level it to 50 and see if that is fun . cause it's going to take x10 longer to do it on progression server . if that is fun sure play on mangler . if not than try to level to 65 and play around there if that's fun play on Selo.

For me I like everquest when toons get around 60 and AA points I feel that's when i feel the classes become more unique and come alive. you get a'lot more ability than just bland auto attack. on Mangler it will be 9 months wait for luclin and the aa system comes out. Selo you have it day 1 as that's the expansion they are starting on
  20. PwnQuest Augur

Yeah for someone coming to EQ with no prior experience, I see 0 upside to Selos. Either you end up hating the game because the learning curve is so steep and the new expansion/zones keep coming out at such a rapid rate, or you end up loving it, but the server is dead because it's progressed past the first several years of EQ that made EQ great.
    Saints likes this.