New Enchanter on Vulak Server

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Adaril_Chanter, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Adaril_Chanter New Member

Hey all i just started up on Vulak Server not to long ago. Currently im level 51 and was wondering where a good place to Charm/Solo would be at time point?
  2. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I never charm-soloed at those levels. I just wanted to point out that if you said what kind of charm soloing you're interested in, you might get better recommendations. Standard charming with a merc healer, reverse-charming: arming, buffing, and releasing a mob to be used as a buzz saw to (almost) kill your charmed pet so you can easily finish it off, or swarming which is kind of like reverse-charm taken to its most extreme.
  3. silku Augur

At that level, get a J1 tank merc, and go charming in some place like the Hole. Let the tank merc take care of the mob while your charm pet tears it down. I seem to remember doing goblins in Sol A around that point too. Work your way till you can charm level 64 mobs in vxed and tear that up till your eyes bleed.
  4. Adaril_Chanter New Member

Vulak'Aerr is a progressions server and at this time there are no Merc's on the Server. I am thinking ill just go old school and Charm, Haste and send my pet in to kill something.
  5. Dandin Augur

Forgive them, Adaril. They aren't familiar with that servers specific rule set. So they are making suggestions that a live player would make use of.

My suggestion would be to go to places like the Hole, Sol B and charm.

Instead of using the standard method of charm "called ally charming" where you charm and haste a pet and go to town, try this.

Pull a mob with Tash, root it and charm it. Haste it also.

Then pull mobs on top of your pet. And root them there. The mobs will hit your pet. Doing more DPS then you charmed and hasted pet.

When your pet is around 10% HP. Invis yourself. Breaking charm. Then recharm the other one. And use that to kill your former pet.

This is a technique called Reverse charming. And when you are efficent with it. It is the best way to level. Hands down.

All you need to do is find a zone with lots of DB mobs
  6. Adaril_Chanter New Member

Thanks Dandin i will give that a shot.
  7. Dandin Augur

You are most welcome. If you like you can contact me in game by typing :tell bristle.Dandin

Or message me on the forums. I'm at work right now. But I'll be online in 2 hours or so. I can give much better and more specific advice from my home PC

Good luck, and have fun !
  8. silku Augur

Ahh forgive my ignorance, I don't spend time on any servers other than my own. I would still recommend the same advise (without the merc). It's a little more difficult but if you learn to charm in vxed effectively, you'll be able to charm in any other zone in the game.

Dandin's advice of reverse charming is very sound indeed and probably the fastest way to level/aa in the game. When it works it's a beautiful thing, when it doesn't.. it's a massacre. (I always found my net experience going in the positive direction though.)
  9. Adaril_Chanter New Member

I got my way up to level 60 last night so my next questions is should i stop here and work on aa's or get to 65 first and then work on them? Also other then TD and Defensive aa's what should be my Priority after Run 3?
  10. Dandin Augur

It depends on how you want to do it. If you are comfortable killing In the area your in, I would reccomend staying at that level an grinding AAs for a while. Work on your technique and master it at the current level you are. Then when you do decide to level, you will have a good grasp on style and be more comfortable in a harder area.

If I was to restart again, and reroll like you did. I would likely grind AAs at 60, in an area I was comfortable in, and get a good baseline on zone specifics.
    Remember. Being an enchanter. You need to understand the area your killing, not just how to kill. You need to know what you can charm an you cannot. So every time you go to a new area there is going to be a learning curve regaurdless of class skill.

I'm not at my PC currently. (I'm posting from my IPhone haha) but I would do something like this.
    Run 3
    Total domination
    Enhanced Forgetfullness
    Combat Agility
    Combat Stability
    Mezz mastery
    Sheild block
    Armour of Wisdom
    Clinging Root
    (There's one that makes your buffs last longer. Spacing on the name -- Archtype passive ....)
    Spell casting Subtlety

That should give you a good start anyways.

Like I said. Don't be afraid to ask for guidance in this area. Here's how I think of it. A dead chanter is a useless chanter. Survivability is key.
  11. Haegar Augur

Actually at his lvl there might be better ways.

He does not have the safety AAs, that hold charm and control the stuff to charm.

Dandin, it IS a very good way to get quick Experience, BUT....

It´s a high advanced technique that was invented for a reason. The charm nerf, thats effective around lvl 70.
    Basically it means, that your charmed mob will get an awful debuff once you charm it. At lvl 70 up you can charm something, haste it, and watch it get torn apart by the VERY SAME THING that is slowed. The nerf affects speed, attack value and mitigation to a point, that made charm almost useless.

So yes, while it IS very powerful, to reverse charm, you need several AAs, like the charm duration line (less charm breaks) and Beguilers directed banishment.

Also, at your lvl there is just no point in doing it. Because until that, your pet will most of the time be a worthy enemy to anything. Try to find good charm pets and spots, find some nice mage and ask for pet toys. My line of lvling was Plane of Valor (if you climb upstairs you find genoids and spiders). Bastion of thunder (earth wing, at the room where the boss spawns) and VXED (very cool place, unfortunately it takes a lot effort to make it worthwhile and almost undoable without a 2nd healer char (be it friend or bot).

Jewel of attiiki is also good, but remote. I always had a druid bot btw.

And yes. After jewel, you got the practice, the AAs and the knowledge to wreak havoc on entire places, using reverse charm :)
  12. Dandin Augur

It isn't that complicated. Seriously. There are way more complicated strategies then this as an enchanter. If your having issues with this or believe this is to dangerous for a level 51 character to be attempting, that's disappointing.

Considering that the safety AAs that you describe only make this method painfully easy to accomplish later, if one was to master the tactic at a lower level base with less, I'm sure he could accomplish it with more AAs or a higher level. The truth is. Those AAs are nice to have, but they ARE NOT REQUIRED to PREFORM the tactic.

If you think they are, and this player is doing it without. Which Enchanter has better merit?!

In response to your comment that there is faster ways for him to XP. The flat truth is. There isn't. Unless you can come to this board with parses to prove that ONE hasted charm pet can out DPS 2-4 non charmed or hasted NPCs. Your wrong.

And I'm just going to say this gently. Your wrong. And that's all there is to it.

Don't sit here and say "this method is too advanced for a player because X"

When the player has all the abilities he needs.
    1.Root
    2. Charm
    3. Haste
    4. Invis

Is it easier at higher levels with more AAs? Certainly. But isn't every aspect of this game?

If you look at the OPs last post. He stated he got 9 levels last night. This is quite substantial for a solo player. And impressive considering he just read a tactic on the internet and tried it. It's apparent that it works for him. So how about this?

Give this player a little credit. The strategy I explained to him is not that difficult overall. And it is effective at his level, and as a bonus. This method will carry all the way up to level 100 with 11k+ AA.

Give a man a fish. He eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, He never goes hungry again
  13. Haegar Augur

First, i never said straight charming is faster. Of course it is not.

But if a lvl 51 asks for advice i assume he got no idea of the basics, especially if he says that he plans to do it the straight way.

Thats why i explained the basics, the history of reverse charming and that it is dangerous.

That said, i think 9 lvls in a day is impressive and i wonder if he really did it with reverse charming ;)

Btw, nowadays you got a lot of places where you can go anytime and find stuff in the right lvl for reverse charm. Vulak however is a progression server. There might be lvls that lack the right spots.
  14. Sancho Elder

I've been playing a chanter over 10 years and I wish I would have only learned reverse charming from the start. It all went downhill from charmed pookas and I never use charm in the conventional way anymore. It's way more dangerous but if you can master it at 60, you'll be a mini chanter god at higher levels.
  15. Haegar Augur

Pookas had insane high MR, hynids were the weapon of choice :)
    silku likes this.
  16. Sancho Elder

I fell for the hype and didn't know hynids were better =/. I was a young naive enchanter!

If you do want to learn charm the conventional way, find a pet that summons and hits hard. You'll learn how to recover from charm breaks real quick!
  17. Adaril_Chanter New Member

No i did not gain 9 levels by working on Charming skills. But the past two nights i have been working on my Charming skills. Not an easy task by any means but still fun to try and get this figured out. I have been playing around in PoN working with the Trees Spiders and Birds. the main issue i am having it trying to get mobs locked down during recharming or getting them locked down grouped together to rip my pet a new one.
  18. Haegar Augur

Yes, thats the part were Beguilers banishment comes in handy. And thats also the part were the banishment bug gets nasty.

I never liked PoN much, too much running around. Try the spot in valor, those guys are mostly static.
  19. Haegar Augur

Btw, while you practice, you dont HAVE to start with too many. Right now it might be enough just to sick 1 against another and finish it of with a new one.
  20. Sancho Elder

Here is what I do. There are probably a million ways to do it.

Send the charmed pet into a group of mobs. I find 3-4 to be a good number. If the mobs aren't grouped up, send the pet to one then another until you have 3-4 beating on your pet. While your pet is dying, quickly tash & root all the enemy mobs. Reposition your pet by calling it back to you to make the mobs into a tighter group. You should have enough time to do this no problem. If you have the MR resist totem, drop that too.

Right before your first pet dies, invis to break charm & nuke it to death. You can get good at timing the pet health so you can finish them in 1 shot. You should now have 3-4 mobs just sitting there. If I get a root break, that lucky mob gets the honor of being my next pet. If there are no root breaks, just charm one and the other 2-3 will start attacking it . You can get good at including adds in the mix to keep it going pretty much nonstop. Just be proactive at reapplying root while the pets are dying.

Granted, it's a lot easier to do at higher levels. I'd recommend maxing root aa's cause those are no joke. The pet repositioning aa works on charmed pets and is good for pushing rooted pets back into the pack without the BDB bug and I think you get it early on.