Nerfs before new expansions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by flash000, Sep 24, 2015.

1. flash000 Augur

Anyone else getting tired of this SOP nerf the hell out of core abilities just before an expansion release to force us to rebuy what abilities we lost back in the next expansions AA???
  2. Lianeb Augur

name an ability they took from you and then allowed you to repurchase it in next expansion.
    Just curious, i can't think of any
  3. Duhbeast Augur

Is the game that hard for you? Seriously?
    Zezack and Whulfgar like this.
  4. Reval Augur

I'm not tired of it because the accordion design is a good policy. Imagine if they had to design without doing this. So the next expansion is supposed to be hard enough for people with max arx raid gear pre nerfs? And then the one after that is supposed to be hard enough for people with that raid gear and max aa? So then imagine that you are levelling and going through all of these expansions, where each one has to be much, much harder than the previous one... If there is a level raise, you're going to exp in these zones designed off the bat to be fun for people with max everything from the previous expansion, including raid gear (this would make it a bit tough to level as the difficulty more drastically increases). And imagine if they just made everything this super easy transition minding the people that end up catching up. How would they make it really challenging for people that want a challenge?

If this is a design choice, it's a well thought out one since it makes it easier for people getting back into the game to level and keeps it challenging at the top end, which is where it really should be challenging.
  5. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

Would you prefer a week or two after the expansion?
  6. Vlad Diszno Augur

Perhaps it's a wily way of souring our taste for "expansions" and be ok w/ "campaigns" that don't come w/ a pre-"expansion" nerf.
    Motherlee likes this.
  7. Motherlee Augur

Yeah, usually they wait til enough people are lured into the new expansion by uber experience and THEN they nerf it.
    Maurasi likes this.
  8. Zunnoab Augur

Better yet, rebuy abilities to give a small portion of what was taken away back. Forget treading water due to a nerf, how about falling back even after the expansion.

What gets me is I could swear when I was at SoE Live 2013 it was mentioned the days of sudden wide sweeping nerfs were over, yet here we are and with very little warning to boot!
    Motherlee likes this.
  9. Iila Augur

lol, they've never said anything like that.

I guess this year they're doing the wide sweeping nerfs before the expansion, instead of packaging them into the same patch as the expansion. Or maybe there's still more nerfs to come?

There are a lot more positive changes this year, but there's still plenty of stupid nerfs.
    Mayfaire and Sancus like this.
  10. Zunnoab Augur

It was in the context of caster dps if I recall.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I think it depends on your class. I think there have been far more stupid nerfs than positives so far this year; then there are all of the changes which were so poorly implemented and still either don't work right or do anything close to what they claimed they intended it to do.

Prior to this nerf, I could use moving mountains on mobs that are 110 and could fade off mobs which are 115; both of those abilities I am going to have to buy the next expansion and repurchase via AAs.
    Motherlee likes this.
  12. Sancus Augur

[44794/7617] Rain of Cutlasses Rk. 03
    Classes: MAG/104
    Max Crit Chance: 40%

Guess a dev didn't get the memo :(
    Silv likes this.
  13. Zunnoab Augur

Edit: I can't get it to not mangle this quote here, but it's the post above this one anyway.
    I looked up my notes to make sure I was not misrepresenting things. It was in the context of class balance, so not really entirely applicable here, but calling me someone who dislikes these changes is still an understatement though.

Quoting myself from my notes from then:

So applying it to these nerfs is stretching it I admit. I failed to remember the context of it being about dps balance. Still not a fan of this mess though, especially nerfing utility abilities so they can't be used for their primary use.
    Sancus likes this.
  14. Viper1 Augur

well, what a game designer is supposed to do is keep the player power creep in check so that you don't have this spiral effect of having to make every new thing exponentially more difficult.
  15. Reval Augur

Well, let's be fair here. What you are doing is describing a responsibility that these game designers have, and what I am doing is describing that responsibility as well as a way that they do it. Without going to the same depth within this category that I have gone, we can't really talk to each other about it on reasonable terms.

Let me do what you just did for a second: Well, the game was made by people so they should make everything absolutely perfect and the most fun possible.

Look at how much ground that covers with just one sentence! I could reply to every post about the game issues with that, but would it really do anything?
  16. segap Augur

Honestly, I prefer they do it now. Lots of these changes are probably coming about from their work on the expansion. With what we have seen of getting fixes done during beta, this in essence gives them more time to get changes out and fix problems with them as we find them in real game play.

Current content is old for most people. Having some instability now really does not impact people all that much. I'd rather live with it now than have tons of breakage the first month of the new content. I'm not being naive, and know we'll have content based bugs, but I'm hoping the major disruption to abilities and class balancing gets worked out ahead of time. It should also allow for the beta period to focus more on content than on people complaining about tuning changes.
  17. Viper1 Augur

What I'm getting at, is that the player power curve in this game is insane. Gear is insane, AAs are insane, 105 levels? R u fing kidding me? Should have been reined in a long time ago, imo. They've given us way too much over the years.
  18. Reval Augur

So what's your solution to that?
  19. Viper1 Augur

A time machine?
    EQN?

Truthfully, there is no solution. The damage has already been done. Anything they do now is merely a stopgap measure.
  20. Reval Augur

Well, my solution is this thing that they are doing. And it's not perfect, but it's working.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Mayfaire like this.