Need advice on a heavy duty graphic card to run EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Orbital101, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Pellucid New Member

119 for motherboard temp is not good afaik...
    Behee likes this.
  2. Orbital101 Augur

the SS is on start up
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

If it is a real temperature it is bad. However, it could be a false reading, as HWMonitor is designed for many different types of motherboards which are all different. It seems unlikely that the motherboard is actually that temperature unless it is broken. The other temperatures seem to indicate that the system itself is ok temperature wise. But we need to see it after an hour of gameplay.

Orbital101, do you know what brand and/or model motherboard you have? Some motherboard manufacturers have utilities that measure it that are likely to be more accurate for your board.

Also, during boot up, you can go into the BIOS and there is likely to be temperature readings there. I did not suggest BIOS because it is harder to access than just running HWMonitor. Also, you would want to play EQ for an hour, then reboot to look at the temperatures then. Again, HWMonitor should really tell you enough.

I really don't know enough to make too much of a judgement on this, just trying what I can.
    Behee likes this.
  4. Behee Augur

It shouldn I know that but that's what all the vendors tells me and I keep saying don't let Everquest fool you even if it is a very old game don't think it doesn't deserve something decent to run as I am a very hardcore player.
    Salespeople ... what more needs to be said? EQ is a great game, fun to play, longevity, low hardware needs, and also very low data bandwidth needs (and low total monthly gigs used). As we see today, an annual expansion download is 345GB, a tiny pittance of most modern games.

We build our own computers for the most part. But, we have an 8 year old laptop with a single core intel cpu and on-board video. It still runs 2 instances of EQ without issues, except it is so old it starts to overheat (it never used to do that). EQ hardware requirements are pretty low.

When building our own systems for EQ, things I care about are:

1. Monitor - this is what I look at all the time. It usually lasts longer than the computer, so only gets replaced when it really needs it. It's a place we spend a big part of our computer budget.
    2. Power supply. Cheap for the most part, and like the monitors almost always lasts for several computer upgrades. Look for 80 Plus certification in Bronze, Silver or Gold, or Platinum. Bronze is the lowest of these, but if it says only "80 Plus certification" then it is even lower than Bronze quality. The quality refers to the efficiency of the power supply. I usually try for Gold but consider Silver/Bronze at the time of purchase based on sale price.
    3. CPU -- the faster the Ghz the better. If playing only 1 character, the dual core is plenty. If boxing, then get 4 cores or more.
    4. RAM -- 8 Gigs is about $80 these days, and more than plenty for several instances of EQ.
    5. Given some budget $ amount, Solid State Drive (SSD) is great for speed, whereas a standard hard drive is great for bulk. EQ is tiny, but it depends on what else you do with the computer.
    6. Way down the list is GPU. For the most part spending a ton of money on video won't get you anything compared to being really, really cheap on video as far as EQ is concerned. When we do buy a graphics card, the amount we spend is whatever is left of our budget :p. What we do try to get is about 2GB of Ram to deal with any video we may run and which might use the extra ram, or for multiple EQ instances. And yet, as stated above, it is mostly unused. But, we may upgrade our monitors to much higher resolution sometime, and we might as well have a bit of extra ram on the video cards to deal with that "someday". Frankly, the cost difference between a card with less than 2 GB and a 2GB card is so small it isn't worth much thought.
    Somewhere in there is keyboard and mouse, which also usually last longer than the computer. We tend to spend money on these, getting programmable keyboards with lit keys (we like the lights down when we play).

The point is that when they up-sell you on a computer, they start increasing the requirements of all of the related parts. A high end graphics card is a huge part of this, since as soon as that is in the system the motherboard is usually higher end as well, and it needs a much beefier power supply (although they may not care at all about the efficiency). This is the issue with going for a high end graphics card, and the benefits you get will be disappointing when compared to a lower end (older generation) graphics card.
    Lisandra likes this.
  5. Zamiam Augur

Hey not sure , but i noticed you only have 1 case fan ? most new PC's are bought/shipped with just 1 or 2 small fans . that could be why its Overheating if that is the problem .. if the case can support more fans id put a few more fans in there ..( my case has 3 fans plus the CPU and PSU fans .) I even keep my case side panel off to help circulate air flow for when I used to 6 box.. also make sure you keep the inside clean and dust free especially the CPU fan and the PSU fan .. air flow air flow air flow
    Another thing you can check is all Motherboards/CPU's have a max temp before they reach critical they shut down .. that could also be the issue .. check your MB and CPU info and see what their max temp rating is and check to see if that temp is reached after playing for an hour or 2 ? I doubt its your MB heating up cause usually if that happens instead of the screen going glitchy it will just turn your system off , howerver if its the CPU heating up that could cause problems with your Monitor if your running a GPU ..