Need advice on a heavy duty graphic card to run EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Orbital101, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Orbital101 Augur

So my own build computer mother board went dead on me a few hrs before a raid night and im the type of guy that always have a plan B to be on time but this time my only option was to buy a new computer wich I did. After a few days my monitors started turning into this picture
    [IMG]
    every 2-3 hrs unless I turn off my computer for 8ish hrs before raid then I am probably good the whole raid but that is rarely the case considering that out of work and must do all I do is Everquest.

I could play and keep my previous computer for weeks before shuting it off with out any trouble wich lasted me 4 years and would like to be able to do the same with this one while I get my old one fixed. I have contacted the seller and ASUS about it and I would need to ship my computer over to them... Sadly it wont happen until I get a new mother board to get my old computer back into action with TDS going live tomorrow...

My new computer graphic card is a amd radeon r7 240 which after reading some comments on the web I understood that many people had the same problem. So instead of shiping my computer I will just buy a new graphic card and ship that one back with TNT in it! Would anyone have any suggestion on a graphic card that will not overheat the same way? There is one thing I hate the most and its not feeling reliable and this is how I been feeling the last few weeks!

Price range doesn't matter but lowest is always better as long as it is running Everquest for some extremely long period of time lol.

thx
    Lisandra likes this.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This is an old quote but the graphics engine in EQ has not changed much:

However, EQ's engine is mostly single threaded (so doesn't take advantage of multiple cores) and is very CPU bound in cases where there are lots of players on screen, so unfortunately your GPU is mostly sitting there idle.
    — Steven S. Klug, EverQuest Lead Programmer
  4. iniari-TR Augur

check the graphic settings, check if card is working / update drivers.

there is no reason for a new computer not to be able to run EQ even with a cheap pos integrated gpu.
    Behee and Lisandra like this.
  5. Cone head Augur

Overheating comes to mind. This happen with any other game?
    Lisandra and Zentara like this.
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

What are your system specs?

As Iniari mentioned, EQ will even run on CPU-integrated GPU.

The question is what other games do you play or may be planning on playing? Make your choice then, almost anything will run EQ. On my backup systems EQ still runs on a Mobility 9800 and a ATI x850 (just about 10 years old - :). The CPUs are Intel P4 3.4ghz Extreme and Intel P4 3.2ghz.

Are you using Afterburner to manually control fans? Are all fans running properly, especially when the problem does occur?

Have you switched which power connection is plugged into the video card?

What brand/model PSU is the system running?
  7. Metanis Bad Company

A weak power supply would cause this. Or overheating. I can box 5 accounts on a much weaker video card than you have! But I'm using an Antec 620watt PS.
  8. Orbital101 Augur

done that, reformatted HD and reinstalled drivers for each device directly from every devices websites instead of using the CD. Fan and card look new, transistor aren't busted.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU@3.20 GHz 3.20GHz
    8.GB RAM
    64-bit Operating system on windows 8.1

Now this is the first time using windows 8 and I hate it but for information windows 8 natively already by default, supports multi-core, and you do not need to configure them. They are configured optimally.

EQ only on PC and thinking doing some player studio this winter with 3DS Max.

nope but will check this out.

Ac Bel if talking about my power supply

it look like its doing it more when a large amount of players are around me but will do it anyway In a empty zone if I have been playing for 6 hrs or more from there it will do it every 1to3 hrs.
  9. Orbital101 Augur

hmm I got a 600 watts Cooler Master I might try to hook it up tonight and see if that help but then after I reformatted my HD and reinstalled every thing it dint do it for almost 24 hrs. I though I had the problem solved...
    Lisandra likes this.
  10. An old ELF! Lorekeeper

11. Riou EQResource

I'd suggest looking at an nVidia 970 if you want a new GPU, it's easily best bang for buck atm

GPU usage does get higher the higher resolution you play in game, running at 8K resolution takes 4x or so the requirements (made GPU use go up to 1.2gig vram vs 250mb and GPU Load at 70%+ vs 20-35% normal)
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Run this at boot up and also after an hour: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Then post here what it shows. This will show both voltages and temperatures.
    guado and Lisandra like this.
  13. Lisandra Augur

For the record I run EQ on max settings for up to 18-24 accounts on an AMD Phenom XII 645 3.2ghz Quad Core with 16gb of DDR 3 (way over kill) & a 2 GB Nvidia Geforce 430 GT (not even a gaming card) without any issues. I do plan to upgrade my card when finances permit & the processor as well as adding a solid state drive but my system runs EQ without any issues whatsoever.
    Behee likes this.
  14. bitefiends Elder

hi
    after reinstalling everything did you install directx 9.0c ( I think it is) I know that EQ does need this to run.
    just a thought
  15. Lonestar Elder

You will not need a great graphics card for eq at all. Its cpu dependent. I for instance have the Nivida GTX 770 4GB edition and my gpu core never reaches 50% useage when running 6 boxes on 3 screens. My ram is used up to 10 gbs and my cores are well used in my I5 4690k cpu. If only eq spend more on cpu and less on graphics as you will use very little of it. Can get a 1 gig card and be ok because with 4gb card with 3 monitors running my video ram only runs at about 12% with spikes up into the 20's.
    My rig is beyond overkill for eq but on max settings everything turned on I have no issues even when trying to autofollow.

look up partpicker and put your system info in then you can get a video card that is compatible and easy to shop for.
  16. Battleaxe Augur

Yep.

Based on my experience:
    Integrated Intel HD graphics - built into many Intel desktops/no graphics board required. Runs EQ (and handles general purpose computer graphics including streaming video) just fine.

Saphire HD 7750 1G - improvement to the above. No 6-pin aux connection required. Low power. Low profile. 300W power supply is adequate. One of the few upgrades possible for 300W small case desktops. Roughly $100.

GeForce GTX 750TI 2G - improvement to the above. No 6-pin aux connection required. Low power. 300W power supply is adequate. Able to play some much more demanding games than EQ with many graphics features turned off. Roughly $140. What I'm using.

I've had zero issues with either of the two boards listed above.

My belief given experience with the board listed above and Tom's Hardware reviews:
    GeForce GTX 970 4G 2x6 pin aux power. Moderate power consumption (145W). 500W min power supply. High end board at a relatively modest price ~$330. What I'll likely be using if and only if I find a game or games that I want to play (a lot) that require near top end performance.

IMO one can buy an off the shelf fairly modest general computer with built in graphics and play EQ just fine. I justified paying $140 more than I needed to for better than built in integrated graphics so I could take a look at other titles - not too many have EQ's low graphics requirements.

GPU's stop working once the Magic Smoke that powers them escapes.
    Behee likes this.
  17. Greymantle Augur

That looks like an overheating issue. Check the fan on your Video card.
    Brohg likes this.
  18. Orbital101 Augur

[IMG]

did. I only reformatted my HD mainly to see if it would fix the problem and also remove the calamity that McAfee was doing to my comp. Only thing for me to do when the problem occur is to pull the power supply cord out of my computer and reboot.

It shouldn I know that but that's what all the vendors tells me and I keep saying don't let Everquest fool you even if it is a very old game don't think it doesn't deserve something decent to run as I am a very hardcore player. When I was explaining my gaming time to the vendor that lady next to me overheard and asked me 'do you ever go in a date sometime?' I reply 'why you offering?' she said 'I already have a boyfriend.' . I ended the discussion with' Then why are you asking me this question then?!'
    Obiziana likes this.
  19. Orbital101 Augur

I boosted my fan to 60% was around 25% when AB loaded. I'm hearing the fan run louder wich I like a lot but not loud enough to help me sleep at night! Anything else I should boost up?
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Orbital101, that screenshot of HWMonitor is after an hour of playing? Obviously not EQ, since the servers are all down. Since your issue happens after about two hours of playing, it would be good to know what it looks like after an hour.