my yearly post, where can a level 97 cleric solo to level?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Evertrek, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Evertrek Augur

it's seems i post this once a year. i have a 1 month sub on one of my accounts. no more moloing and i didn't buy the expansion this year.

i have checked all the quests offered for the level 95+ cleric and i get spanked in those zones. i have tried a T5 tank, dps, and healer with not much luck. my gear is at least PVE ready at all around level 95. i have most spells at least rank I. funny how my merc started with rank 2 spells but of well.

i have LFG on luclin for weeks and various times. i even see level 115 clerics LFG just for pve groups for hours.
  2. Metanis Bad Company

In terms of real zones you'll probably need to find a zone where the mobs con green or light blue and then use a melee dps merc.

What happens when you try the level 85 or 90 daily?

Or finally, perhaps find a repeatable quest that doesn't require a lot of killing but gives some exp.
  3. Evertrek Augur

sounds like you are also wondering if clerics can solo at that level. i too am looking for a productive zone, quest(s), merc to level. i have been playing EQ from Kunark, my cleric is almost 20 years old. i don't mind a slow camp but at this point i end up wiping even trying to get the quests done.
  4. Metanis Bad Company

Full disclosure, I'm a cleric main but I always box a full group. It's been literally years since I tried to solo/molo my cleric. I think the last successful zone for cleric soloing was mass killing the lizards around the pyramid in the remade Cazic Thule zone off Feerrott. I just checked and they were mid 50 mobs so I probably solo'd there as a 60 something.
  5. Dragnath Elder

I would suggest re-rolling a character that you can effectively solo with, or start another account that you can box with the cleric. I quit EQ back in 2001 primarily because I spent 95% of my time /LFG in Velks as a Cleric so I know your pain.

I have a Cleric now but as a 3rd box. Honestly anything 95+ is going to be a pain trying to solo.

If you are dead set on the cleric roll a SK or Warrior for a second account, but even for a duo a Cleric is not going to be bringing much to the table for what can be accomplished 2 boxing.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

So you say no more moloing? That meaning you do not want to use your merc? Molo = Player plus merc.

What is your understanding of PVE? Just wanting to make sure we are all talking the same.

Did you hit your Auto Grant?

Yes your J5 (or T5 if you wish) merc will cast RK II spells while you are All Access - just as you can buy them and scribe them now. You can later buy a RK II add on when you revert to Silver/F2P.

Do your Overseer quests over and over - good exp there and it runs in the background so all you have to do is choose experience as the reward when they are done and set them up again.

This one (if you have not already done it) will get you some good exp (once you are level 90 ish) will yield 26% of a full level at level 100 so should be good at your level and are fairly easy:
    Partisan of Shard's Landing https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=6412

Go to HOT zone in to the house and get all the kill quests from the little guy right where you zone in and see how your exp is just killing those snakes and rot dogs. Watch the pathing but the gate is close if you need to get out.

Also consider this:
    Hunting things up to 5 levels lower than you (in mass) is faster leveling than dealing with reds and the risk of dying.

Someone else mentioned the daily hot zones. Get the 85 and 90 and 95 at one time from Franklin Teek. Then go do the kill 5 - if one of those work well for you then stay in that zone since the bonus exp for the kills continue even after you finish the base kill task. You get all 3 of them at one time because it will lock you out if you only accept one for the day.
    Metanis likes this.
  7. Alnitak Augur

Fear Itself (top zone in HoT) has a plenty of lvl 88-90 undead trash. Relatively easy to single pull. There is a quest-giver at zoneline, which gives quests like kill 5 of theese, or collect that by killing those etc. Repeatable quests give 1-2 % of level exp. Mobs respawn relativery fast.

So, you can fight in there, find the camp you like and grind away. Not the fanciest of ways to level up, but it worked for me.
    Gundolin likes this.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

As was mentioned, do Overseer tasks. Always do the Research tasks when you have them, as they give the most XP. Collectible tasks are next, then any other 12 hour tasks, and the 6 hour tasks give the least. Make sure you have your merc out when you collect the xp reward so they get xp as well.

I'm not sure how soloable they are, but I believe the bugs and naeyas in Shard's landing are weak con mobs, so they're easier. You could also try Hills of Shade since there are plenty of undead; I'm not sure what the xp would be like at your level though. Also lots of weak con mobs in Feerrott The Dream, plus some kill tasks you can do as well. There's a whole camp of undead frogs there also.
  9. Evertrek Augur

sorry, i should have said no more box moloing, but i don't mind playing with a merc...

i have one of each class on most of the TLPs and live. over the past 20 years i have bought the expansion every year, a few months of sub at least, and grouped at least with live players. this is the first year that i seem to be stuck, LFG not working on luclin and i am done with boxing.

overseer quests add about 1-2% xp a day but that's not playing as i would like. what kills me is most other classes can solo, maybe slow, but enough to level.
    Metanis likes this.
  10. kookoo Augur

overseer level 5 quests can give 10 % or more per day.
  11. Evertrek Augur

no clue how to get to level 5 overseer. at level 2 i get .43% on average per. so going from level 2 to level 5 quest increase xp from .43% to 10% per? seems unlikely. maybe level 5 gives 2% i would guess at most. i have no clue how to have more than 5 active quests and 10 per day.

i view Overseer as a incentive to log in once a day, but not a productive way to level any class.
  12. Alnitak Augur

Different quests give different amount of experience (obviously). Now math comes to play - shorter quests give smallest exp, but you can do more of those per day. And longest quests give the best exp, but take 24 hrs.
    In my practice - the most efficient way is to start 12-hr stealth or military quests, 5 at a time. Do green/blue/purple quests when available. I set Overseer in the morning before I go to work, and redo those in the evening after the work. 10 quests per day. Some are uncommon/rare. Some get completed with Critical Success (extra exp). At least 10% of level experience + several (3-5) mercenary AA's per day.

To improve level of quests you need to do that type of quests repeatedly, success increases the proficiency in that type of quest, and eventually upgrades to 2-3-4-5 levels.
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

The tasks give out more xp as your character levels up. Once you hit 110, it really ramps up. Research tasks at that level (24 hour tasks) will get you nearly 2% per completion, nearly 3% if you crit. During the last bonus xp period (works on xp from Overseer), I had a research task on one of my alts crit and got 6% xp from just one task.

I leveled a toon from nearly 111 to 115 just from Overseer and 2 task adds from ToV missions during a bonus xp period.
  14. Evertrek Augur

that seems backwards, most xp decreases as one levels up. why do we need more xp at the highest level leaving low levels unable to catch up....

my other problem is not having any agents that are level 3. i must be missing something? i get level 1-3 quests, but have no eligible level 3 agents.
  15. Alnitak Augur

You are missing agents. By now your should own at least 400-500 agents. I set my goal to 4 copies of each of common agents, 3 copies of each of uncommon agents, and 2 copies of each Rare and Elite agents. Initially I did alot of recruitment quests, by now I just recruit Elites and Rares, because Critial Success of quests typically give me 1-2 common agents extra.
    Once in a while I do conversion quests to convert those uncommons to commons, which I've accumulated more than 4 copies.
    Same with uncommons, and eventually rares.
    Essentially, every time you start the 5 daily quests you have enough available agents on your roster to meet 80%+ success target, even if some of your agents are unavailable at the moment. That's why multiple copies are convenient.
    I need less copies of Rare and Elite agents because most (if not all) of those are tagged Iconic, so I can't send more than 1 of those on quests at the same time, although 1 is not eaough, because the agents can be unavailable from previous quest (disable, discouraged etc.)
    Annastasya likes this.
  16. Metanis Bad Company

Until you get the full compliment of agents you need to do every recruitment quest you can. Then you also need to do every conversion quest whenever you have 3 sets of duplicate agents. You will then gradually build out your agents to every freely available. You want to have at least 1 of every possible agent, but having duplicates doesn't gain you anything.

Recruiting and then converting duplicates is the free method to build your agent force. Alternately you can buy agent packs from the store.
  17. Metanis Bad Company

My understanding is that once an agent (of any level) is in use or in cooldown then duplicates of that agent can't be used for anything and thus duplicates are a waste. Perhaps I'm wrong on this but I've never seen multiple copies of an agent ever used for anything.
  18. Evertrek Augur

thanks, didn't realize i needed so many agents. still i have a lot and they all are level 2. how do i get them to level 3? i am sure i have reused most of my level 2s for months, but just made level 3 in a few categories and find i have no level 3s atm.
  19. Alnitak Augur

Common agents almost all can be used multiple times, sometimes even in the same quest. Uncommon (green) are about half-and-half, half can be used more than once, half can not. Rare and Elite are almost all single-use only.
    Agents have a tag "Iconic" in their description (tab Agents, see those individually), which prohibits the second use of the agent, essentially it's like "lore equipped" tag.
    And then statistics comes to play - quests use more common agents (typically 3-4 per quest) , so those get disabled statisctically more often than green/blue/purple. Hence - 4 copies of commons usually suffice.
    This is my own preference, not some rule set in stone, of course.
    Annastasya and Gundolin like this.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

A lot of the crap in Overseer makes no sense. You would think that as you level up each skill and get better agents, your percentage chance for success would go up, but in fact, it goes down since they recently "fixed" things. I have all the agents on one account and RARELY get better than an 88% success chance on level 5 tasks. Yet, when doing lower level tasks, they almost always have a 91%+ success chance. They completely borked up Overseer.

Agents don't have levels, it's their jobs that have levels. There are four types of agents: common, uncommon, rare, and elite. You get Uncommons and up by doing specific recruitment tasks for those agents or by converting 3 of a lower rank to get 1 of the next higher rank.

If you're getting tasks where you don't have any agents that match the requirements (and aren't incapacitated), you probably just need to start doing more conversions and getting higher ranked agents.
    Annastasya likes this.