More PvP enabled areas

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by uberkingkong, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Pops Racer Olde Faht

If Vallon Zek was brought back as a TLP server, I would be on it in a heartbeat.

Team PvP was so much fun.
    Magician9001 likes this.
  2. Elemental Augur

Just imagine how many kronos people would buy on a daily basis when half their gear is ripped away by RZ rulesets and the over inflated value of items like Fungi and what not when there are significantly less farmers able to saturate the market with thousands of loot. Daybreak if you want some outside consultation it will cost you, just pm me here. I'll accept Kronos or lifetime memberships as payment or friends and family expansions.
    20+ year EQ pvper.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you are suggesting item loot from PvP kills that would be a horrible idea and I can already see people working up ideas to sell gear to someone and quickly turn around to kill them in PvP so they can loot and get that item back. I see nothing but a customer service nightmare from that sort of idea.
    Appren, Brildon and Skuz like this.
  4. Elemental Augur

There is 0 customer service on TLP's as it is which is why the "Dps Race" rule was initiated. We actually had an event on Zek a few years back to show support for PvP servers. Massive amounts of players logged in to bring the server population to "High". The reason most of you aren't aware of the player base is because you aren't part of this player base. Everquest provides a very unique PvP functionality that no other game has been able to replicate.
    Brontus likes this.
  5. Elemental Augur

I will never understand the hostility toward Everquests pvp players. Are you all that petty that you care so much about the Devs spending any amount of time on PvP rather than what you guys want?
    Brontus likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is false, there is customer service on TLP's just not around who gets a mob and that is the same on live servers as well. And just because they don't respond to some tickets doesn't mean that they won't have an issue with a PvP loot server that lets people loot back the items they just sold to someone.

This is nothing against PvP players but rather the harsh reality that there isn't much support for a PvP server and the only PvP server in the game is pretty much dead. PvP in EQ has been broken and unbalanced for a very long time and due to the very small amount of players that seem to play it these days that is unlikely to change. Most other games that have a lot of PvP end up doing balance changes with every patch in order to keep things balanced properly.
  7. Pictarous Augur

That PvP in EQ1 is dead and not coming back.
  8. Elemental Augur

Currently 3+ raid guilds on Zek doing ToL raids in the current expansion. All of you guys want to say Zek is dead but none of you have ever played on Zek to support this statement.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

3 guilds? I don't see any listed on the elite gamers tracking site and the server is listed at low population all the time on eq resource and it gets that data from the eq server status page. There is no evidence that doesn't show the server as one of the lowest population servers.
  10. Elemental Augur

First KV down was on 7/22/2022, First Zelnithak was on 1/12/2022, First Netherbian Swarm Commander was on 1/14/2022, and First Karnors Castle: Mad Emperor was on 3/23/2022.

https://zekraids.opendkp.com/#/dkp

We don't actively recruit because well we don't really need to.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

All you need to understand the hostility is to know that there are finite resources (time, money) to address a ton of outstanding issues & longstanding annoyances, there is zero patience or tolerance for wasting money to appease the needs of a scant few PvP folks when there is large problems needing those resources that affect thousands.

PvP players have Zek & until they can make a compelling business case by providing evidence of adequate numbers of players they have no chance of anything else being done for them.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  12. Pops Racer Olde Faht

To the OP's point, the addition of PvP in certain zones could add flavor to the game, and is worthy of consideration.

The implementation would be key. Players (in general) don't want to be forced into PvP, so the choice to engage is on the player.

For instance, Dark Age Of Camelot implemented PvP zones, which were team based. While one team held the objective in the zone, the entire team (ie, all characters in the races on that team across the server) received a benefit that applied to PvE as well. I think it was some kind of buff or damage bonus. This provided incentive to PvP, and created a team camaraderie.

Perhaps have zones that have missions that ask players to pick a side in a battle, players would ally with one NPC army or the other and the battle would be joined. A mix of PvE and PvP with the victorious side gaining rewards. The PvP would limited to that zone and only while the mission and/or event was going on.

Just like its classes, EQ's PvP is not balanced, it never has been, and won't ever be - for one on one combat. Some classes are just "better" than others at generating damage.

However, when a team PvP concept is introduced (race, religion, geographic), things even out, and strategies are learned.

Team PvP in EQ was a challenge, and very enjoyable.

As a few posters have pointed out, looting is a disincentive for playing PvP, this is especially true for an item centric game like EQ.

In the old days (back when dinosaurs ruled Norrath), the PvP servers had a one item loot rule. If you defeated an opponent, you could loot one equipped item (nothing from bags) and any carried coin. Later, this was changed to coin-only loot, which eliminated the need to bag all your good gear when you knew you were going to lose a fight.

The goal is to make PvP a fun addition, and losing your hard earned gear to someone else is not fun. Item loot should not be considered, however a reward for the victor is appropriate. Perhaps something like a scalp - and if you turn in enough scalps, you get some kind of reward or bonus. Maybe earning bane damage against that race, or getting some kind of title: "Slayer of Halflings".

While I really like the thought of using PvP to defeat the bot brigades, the real answer is to allow players to generate instances of encounters or zones where the bots farm, increasing access to the desired loot, thus reducing the motivation for creating bots.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

First off I wasn't talking about listing on the site for advertising and you are only showing a single guild. Also as a side note what are you referring to as KV?
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And with how broken PvP is and the many complaints I have seen over the years about cheaters and hacking on Zek I am sure many people would disagree with that. Many of the other games you refer to are designed from the start around a PvP game and also have monthly updates to address balance as the game changes. This is done in part to address how players react to previous changes in an effort to keep things balanced. Trying to get PvP back into EQ at this point in it's life is just asking the impossible.
  15. Elemental Augur

24 Servers total and you are really going to try and say the cheaters and hackers are on Zek while trying to make the same argument that Zek's population is dead. If Zek's population is dead, and all the hackers and cheaters are on Zek then how do the hacker programs have any type of player base to retain any type of revenue to stay afloat? The facts are that there are way more cheaters and hackers on any one of the non PVP servers than all of Zek.
  16. Pops Racer Olde Faht

We see complaints about cheaters and hacking on all servers, just scroll through any of these forums.
    Yet we still play. We still enjoy the game.

Which is why the addition of PvP zones (not server wide) is the key. With PvP zones or encounters/missions, players can choose to engage for a different type of play experience.

I do not disagree with Waring about other games being designed with PvP in mind, however, EQ does a lot of things today that the original game was not designed around - its over 20 years old.

We see complaints about cookie cutter zones, missions, quests, and even expansions. Players are looking for something new and engaging in this game.

If we could figure out a way to implement it thoughtfully, a limited PvP might be that new experience.
    Brontus likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, I am saying that is one of the complaints I have seen over the years about the Zek server. How the cheaters/hackers are causing lots of problems on the server. That along with other issues such as balance in that some classes can solo groups is the reason why many people dislike PvP onm the game.

The cheaters/hackers don't cause the same types of problems on other servers because they are not killing people and preventing them from enjoying the game.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Those types of cheaters have a bigger impact on a PvP server when they can actually kill you and prevent you from playing the game. It isn't as big of an impact on other servers when they have no interaction with a lot of players.
  19. Elemental Augur

So you are saying that people who hack and cheat on a non PVP server have a lesser impact than people who are cheating and hacking on a PVP server?

I sat there and watched 1 person 6+ box Open World Phinny on Yelinak for what 36 weeks in a row blocking anyone and everyone from being able to obtain those epic pieces. Seen people 36 Box open world dragons and epic mobs, and seen people DPS race specific zones from allowing anyone else to be able to even participate in that zone (Plane of Mischief). The fact is, the impact is the same regardless of if its on a PVP server or a non PVP server, the only difference is you have more opportunity to compete with that 6 boxer who is following you around, "DPS Racing" all your mobs from you.
    The difference between a PVP server and the other 23 servers is that on a PVP server we don't allow that type of monopolistic behavior. We don't allow people to farm zones for 100 days straight, and when we locate those players who are doing this, we have our own Zek justice that we serve them. One option, we kill them. Rez them with a 0% rez, watch them accept it over and over again and kill them over and over again. That way when they wake up from their 100 day AFK span they are lvl 6.
  20. Pops Racer Olde Faht

Which is why l am advocating for PvP on a limited zone basis. You can choose to play in the zone or not.