More PvP enabled areas

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by uberkingkong, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Then why are you here instead of playing those huge hits? You say EQ never put in the effort, you're right. 20 years ago when it would have been easy, they looked at the numbers and decided PVP was worthless, and didn't continue balancing and developing around it. Now it would take a huge overhaul of the entire game, all 16 classes, and suddenly it's worth it? No, it would be a massive waste of time to try to pull the mythical PVP MMO crowd. You're asking DPG to spend money on dev time (pulled away from core pvm business) to work on PVP and use a new tlp slot in the hope that it pays off (not just pulling the same players, but new players) because random MMO PVP fan #43 knows better than DPG's business majors who have access to much better data.

The best argument against PVP in my opinion is the increased demand for GMs. PVP is pretty notorious for generating harassment and exploits to ruin people's fun. We know DPG isn't going to pull 50 new gms out of their budget or task what few they have to one single new tlp, so asking for a pvp server is asking for a cesspool much much worse than the current bot krono farmer tlp.

BTW, I have no skin in the game, the idea of playing a tlp makes me wanna puke, so I don't really care what the new TLPs look like. I'd actually prefer a really crappy pair of tlps that pull fewer players from live tbh, so... maybe a PVP tlp is a good idea!
    Skuz and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Is it the PvP that was a hit or the game itself? Not to mention those games have functional PvP systems and constant balance changes to the game. The fact is EQ PvP has been dead for a long time and there isn't the popularity needed to make the effort to fix it worth it. You can make all the accusations about why it had issues but that doesn't change the fact that it has died over time and the devs don't see a player base for it anymore.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Treeconix Elder

We have a game that is almost 25 years old that has class design, class balance, content design, etc. that has been almost constantly seen additions, modifications, replacements, etc. to the previous design efforts. All of which are exclusively built with PvE, and only PvE in mind. Do you honestly expect 16 classes 25 years of design to suddenly be completely reviewed A-Z in order to accommodate intuitive and balance PvP by the current dev team? And whatever PvP balancing is done has to maintain some semblance of balance with the existing PvE design? All while creating more future content, releasing new TLPs, fixing bugs, fixing balance issues, fixing the ongoing lag issues live players suffer from?

I'm sorry, but I just have to ask. Are you out of your mind?

In order for all that effort to be even close to worth it financially, EQs population would have to explode by 10x it's current number. Do you expect a sudden introduction to a brand new PvP system in this 25 year game to garner the attention of 500,000-750,000 people? If you honestly believe that, I have a bridge to sell you at a good price. You interested?
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Magician9001 Augur

Their is more people playing on Rise of Zek and Red today despite being decade old PVP EMUs then were playing on Miragul day 1 and more playing on them then Selo by the time it hit OoW and more playing on then Quarm ever had and more people playing on then Vaniki had after 3 months. 99 Red was more popular in its prime then RF/LJ and Rizlona. The only TLPs that have done better then 99 Red did for it's first 5 years are Phinny clones and Mischief/TB.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Are you really trying to claim that not even 50 people played on Miragul?
  6. Elemtal Lorekeeper

Talking to these anti pvpers is like talking to a brick wall. Makes no sense, and you get no where but a lowered IQ in the end.
    If you want to see one of the greatest pvp games search some videos of Tibia. This game has been very pvp heavy for years and continues to have a massive international player base because of it.
  7. Magician9001 Augur

Miragul had 1 guild on day one. Red still has a few and sometimes peaks at 200+ players. So yes i'm stating facts. Red had like 15 active high end guilds when it was only a few years old. No AOCless TLP even if you combine RF+LJ has hit those numbers.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You need to provide some proof if anyone is going to believe you as everything I have seen indicates that is not true. And you have no evidence that Miragul only had a single guild on launch day not to mention you seem to be avoiding saying what happened to the population after that.
  9. Magician9001 Augur

You keep asking for evidence yet you provide none. https://wiki.project1999.com/Guilds:Red99_Guild_List#The_PVP_Champs Almost all those guilds were active at the same point. http://www..org/index.php?pageid=serverinfo&worldid=1678 That 663 max players is the max it's had after 2016 when they started tracking that stat. 99 Red had be out for 5 years and was stuck in Kunark for like it's 3th year straight. How many TLPs hit 663 players after 5 years of existing? oh that's right none of them do. Making a PvP TLP server is just free money for DPGs.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You keep claiming that PvP is super popular and that other servers have no players at all yet you refuse to post any source for those numbers that you claim. The fact is that we have a PvP server and it is at the lowest level of population of all servers and has been for a long time. There is plenty of evidence that shows PvP is not popular in EQ and even an event designed to show how popular it was on a free server had low turnout. The devs have even said exactly what needs to be done in order for them to consider a PvP server yet there has been no movement on doing that.

Also a link to a wiki with a list of guild names does nothing to show how popular a server is as you don't need a lot of players to form a guild. Not to mention only one of the links you provided works.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Servers

Even the P99 wiki says the PvP server has under 50 people at peak times.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is a flat out lie.

P99 Red is close to dead & Zek has a couple of "managing" guilds who could use a bunch more players as neither is close to full.

Miragul day one had a dozen or so guilds & had 3 a month in, only one was successful on the server long-term as it was their escape from death on Phinigel & they were the only guild that brought over an actual "core" of players to coalesce around.
  12. Magician9001 Augur

The forums don't let me link the Everuest M U site. Red has avg 63 players. It's historical peaked at 663 when the server had been around for 5 years. The data beforehand doesn't exist. Blue peaked at 2162. In other words close to 30% of the playerbase likes PVP which is more then enough to justify a TLP. The server is dead because it's over 11 years old, It's like you trying to claim nobody wants a PoP locked server cause Agnaar population is low now. Completely ignoring the fact it was a high population server for 2+ years and made DPG a lot of money.

Red is 11 years old and Miragul had 1 guild day 1 and never got above that. Red's avg pop now is still higher then Miragul's ever was. It's peak population beats every TLP that didn't have AoCs after like 6 months and it's 4 year in population beats every TLPs in population 3 years in.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Please stop with the claims that Miragul only had one guild as that is not true as has been explained to you many times. The P99 wiki also claims that the PvP server is not very popular at all and there no way you can claim that Miragul ever had under 50 players on average.
  14. Magician9001 Augur

Miragul didn't even really have one guild if were being honest it had about 30 actual people after a few days.

The server list tells you exactly how many people are online ATM and has an accurate avg as well as historical highs after 2015-2016 when they started recording that stat. The Wiki is just wrong.

Red peaked at 600+ players after it existed for 5 years. Youre just wrong
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No it does not, it just lists low, medium and high and has done that for a very long time and it doesn't matter what it used to have though I doubt it had that many. Even so 600 players isn't enough to make a server.
    Stymie likes this.
  16. Magician9001 Augur

Like you haven't even looked at it obvious and you obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Everuest M U Server list says exactly how many players are online it doesn't say low mid high it says an exact number. 600 players on a server that's been locked in the same content for 3 years has never happened on any TLP. It's 1/3 of blue if you get 1/3 the players Phinny had or Mischief/TB had that will beat any other ruleset besides those 2.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yet you keep talking about what the official servers have which you have no way of knowing. Also you keep talking about the past which has no bearing now. And judging from your treatment of other numbers I would question your claims of 600 people ever being on that server.
  18. Treeconix Elder

P99 and real Everquest aren't even closely comparable. One requires 25 years of content and development to balance PvP around while the other has 1.5 years worth of content. Also, P99 is a cesspool of neckbeard fungus and stale Cheetos. It's just a bunch of people too cheap to actually pay for real EQ. I guarantee a PvP server will be an ultimate failure.

P99 Red average 63 players a day. The max was 660, but we have no clue how long ago that was nor how long those numbers lasted. It's hilariously misleading to point to a single high number and proclaim that makes launching a PvP TLP good business acumen. People will always show in droves to something new. Doesn't mean it has lasting popularity or worth investing in.

Finally, stop bringing up Miragul as if it's a good "gotcha" argument. Two bad ideas don't equate to a good idea. That's like arguing it would be a good idea to have a car with rectangle wheels because this one time you saw a car with square wheels. They are both stupid ideas.

Zek is the lowest population live server by an absolute landslide. The popularity and attraction to EQ PvP simply does exist enough to be worthwhile to invest heavily into. At least with Mischief they had some type of evidence to assume FT would be popular. They have no evidence of that for a PvP server.
    code-zero likes this.
  19. Magician9001 Augur

Man your inability to just accept you're wrong is funny. Like 2 seconds ago it was "NUH UH IT SAYS LOW MED HIGH" Like just give it up man it's embarrassing. Like you won't even do a simple google search.

Red launched in i think 2011 and the E server list started tracking max players in like-2016. So we know that 660 was at least 5 years after Red came out.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How exactly am I wrong about all the PvP servers being dead and the PvP crowd not even being able to get a turnout for an event to show how much in demand a new server is?

Why should anyone care about what happened over a decade ago and can't be reproduced now? If PvP was so popular why isn't the P99 servers making a new one to attract all the players that want to take part?