Modern TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Constellation, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Moranis Augur

Dude, holy run-on sentence!
  2. Rhiyannon Augur

so many things wrong with this where to start...
    first off they already tried this remember, with voting, shockingly enough people didn't want to get to live that fast. no, I doubt 90% of phini boxes, sure some do but I doubt it's in the majority. there is a difference, hence phini being made because quite a few quit because of the boxing on ragefire.
    whatever you're smoking do share... cause damn it must be good.
  3. Mashef_8013 Elder

They already did this, it was called the combine and the sleeper servers. EVERYONE hated it - Classic EQ with out of content drops and stuff is lame.. Compared to Fippy/Phinny it was a failure. Even Mayong (51/50) probably fared better.

They are better off with a server like Phinny that opens with Classic & Kunark together and regular exp rates similar to what is seen on RF/LJ if not even closer to live.

4 Month lockouts would be nice instead of 3. A little more time in Luclin and beyond when the game really takes off.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  4. yerm Augur

How the hell do you figure that combine was a failure? That server set a bar that's going to be borderline impossible for any OTHER server to live up to.
    Sinzz likes this.
  5. Machen New Member

You're nuts if you think Mayong fared better than combine/sleeper. Worst server idea ever.
    Sinzz likes this.
  6. Nolrog Augur

Combine and Sleeper were both very successful, were merged together and then at some point, merged in with another server. To say people hated it is completely false.
  7. -wycca Augur

They actually caught up to the live timeline and then were merged in. I'm not sure how many people made it that long, but it's better than any other progression server to date.
    Sinzz likes this.
  8. Sinzz Augur

lol, sorry typing isn't my day job. :)
    pfft we know you canadians have the patent on good weed :)
    Anyways, well combine rocked and it was neet to see how fast folks could unlock and catch server up,instead of watching them die to server voting and lack of interest.
    yeah i base my 90 % folks boxing on phinny on my own experience from 1 thru 50.
    everyone i grouped with were either boxing in that group or boxing in another zone totally unrelated to our group but were very forthcoming on the fact they had and use a second or even 3rd computer to play on phinny, guess maybe i just found them and they might be rare but i wasn't doing anything but lfg.
  9. Gremin Augur

If we discussing Quality of Life improvements to EQ I would love to see the raid tool updated. Say the ability to set your raids up so when people join they are auto shuffled to a specified spot for their class.
  10. Vaclav Augur

You mean like lumping all the "Melee DPS" together in one section, etc. instead of just raw alphabetical?

That does sound handy, although being able to define your own sorting would be nice.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  11. Constellation Augur

I know most don't like this example but I am going to use it anyway. I don't remember exactly when World of Warcraft did this (a few years ago), but they updated all the old newbie zones. They took out things that people didn't like and made them better. Most people that play really enjoy the classic era of Everquest (before they drastically changed things). If they eventually had 5 TLP servers they would probably make more money on them than all the live servers put together. There are some people that are interested in new expansions being released for Everquest but more are interested in TLP servers. We will never play the Everquest of 17 years ago the same way. Knowledge has changed, no corpses runs, no bard kiting, all the nerfs in between. I think they are taking a step in the right direction with Phinigel, the raid instances and the buffed mobs. I hope they consider for the next server (which we all know they are here to make money, so there will be a "next TLP server",) that we want a bazaar w/o Luclin, we want mounts w/o Luclin, we want out of combat regeneration w/o the expansion. They can even create a hardcore TLP for the players that don't mind playing 5-10 hours a day to accomplish things and even add corpse runs back into the game.
  12. Gremin Augur

Group 1
    Warrior
    Warrior
    Warrior
    Cleric
    Cleric
    Bard

Or something along the lines of

Group 1
    Tank
    Tank
    Tank
    Healer
    Healer
    DPS

The raid tool is very crude imo. It has the ability to be so much better if some thought would be given towards it.
    Rhiyannon and Vaclav like this.
  13. Vaclav Augur

And most importantly - unlike many suggestions that show up in the TLP forums - this is one that would help all servers. A+ idea.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  14. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Combine was fun/fine. People want to come back to a fresh server that they won't be gimped on. It's really that simple. Put up a 105 server and people will feel gimped because there's too much content to learn. Put up a Combine, a Fippy, a Ragefire or a Phinny, and people feel they can refamiliarize over time, starting with the least expansive content.

The mistake is to put up multiple servers when initial pop is too high. Literally every TLP iteration has done this, and in the best case the servers wind up merging. In the worst case one is a ghost town. Literally boggles my mind that this mistake is repeated. If you're gonna put up multiple TLPs to handle the initial rush, be prepared to merge them promptly once that rush drops off.
  15. Rhiyannon Augur

i hated sleeper after the vote coming in what was it... less than 3 weeks in? rushing is fine for some, wasn't what i personally or my hubby was interested in at the time.
  16. Agrippa Augur

It's probably a tough line to draw at this point. For the most recent TLPs, they had the sense to put in soulbinders, maps, parcel liasons, shared bank slots, and so forth. I'd say that most of the modern game improvements should have been put in and untied from expansion releases. Extended target window, aggrometer, the Bazaar, potion belt, bandolier, newer zones that would be era appropriate, are just a few that I can think of that should have been put in. These are quality of life game improvements that really don't effect power at all.

On the other hand, I don't think that they should release things like defiant or mercenaries, which do increase power, in early. Perhaps mercenaries before SoD when the populations dip where groups are hard to come by, but what would be the point of raiding dragons and such if when simple defiant completely blows the raid gear away? Power increases should stick to the appropriate eras when feasible.
  17. Dyzalot Augur

Not even close to being true.
  18. Machen New Member

They already DO have 5 TLP servers currently running, and no they are not making more money on them than live (nor would they if they add 2 more.) The player base interested in TLP's is limited, and adding more servers just spreads the player base around and makes each server less populated rather than actually bringing in additional players to the TLP's..
  19. TowerDefense Augur

Poor Machen, noone remembers that Citizen is still crushing on Fippy.