Modern TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Constellation, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Constellation Augur

I think a modern TLP would be fun. What I mean by modern is that there were certain changes implemented in the game for the better. For example, mercenaries were a cool addition, along with the out of combat regeneration. These were good changes to the game IMO, and I think a TLP server with these changes would be fun. I am not one of those 16 year EQ vets, but I think reinvesting some money into new servers would pay off. My ideal TLP server would look something like this:

Start out:

Classic:
    Out of combat regeneration
    Mercenaries
    Mounts
    New quests

Add these things to the old and don't open up later expansions to release them. Also, never release kunark alone but with Velious. Most people seem to stay away once they step away so Kunark seems to be a drag to a lot of players. Anywho, I am grinding out to 60 and really enjoying Velious on Ragefire and I just started thinking about the last year of Ragefire. Thoughts?
    Agrippa likes this.
  2. Coach_Kegadin Augur

Take out all your suggestions. Add PVP.
  3. Constellation Augur

I like the idea of PVP but the fan base doesn't seem to support it.
  4. Korillo Augur

Can you guys please let the current TLPs have their time before begging to introduce more? We have 3. We are good for at least 2 years.
  5. Coach_Kegadin Augur

Nobody really wants to play on the current TLPs. We only do it because we are addicted.
  6. liveitup1216 Augur

7. Constellation Augur

Well - there really isn't a game like EQ.
  8. Constellation Augur

Relax. I don't see myself quitting Ragefire until after PoP... Sometimes discussions lead to awesomenesszzzzz zzzzzz
  9. taliefer Augur

you forgot the most important feature that is for some reason tied to an expansion:

WHY THE BLEEPING BLEEP CAN I NOT BUFFBLOCK CLARITY YET.
  10. Ducreux Augur

I'm out.
  11. Moranis Augur

Mounts and new quests I could get behind...but the OOC regen and mercs completely changed the style of the game.

OOC regen took a game that rewarded the most efficient players and turned it into a DPS-fest. I get that this was probably to help lower level casters w/o access to mana regen spells or gear, but it's just silly in the grouping game. I would be totally against this...it really turned EQ into a button masher.

Mercs are a good idea at heart, but are totally overpowered. If the mercs were re-tuned to have mana pools or abilities of similar level characters and maybe their fee actually made you think twice about whether or not you needed one I could see it. Maybe make them like 80% as effective as a equal level cleric or maybe 80% of the dps of an equal level rogue (non-epic) and cost like Level*5 pp/hour. Essentially, enough that people will think twice about just having one in their pocket all the time.

Yeah, and to Bobby's point, no more freaking classic. I'm Guk'd out fo-life.
    Constellation likes this.
  12. Ultrazen Augur

For some people, mercs pretty much ruined the game. What made EQ great in the first place, was the *need* to cooperate with other people. That feature of the game goes poof when you add mercs. A lot of people that play MMOs are anti social by nature, and if you give them a chance, will play the game solo. Just look at the difference even between the TLPs that make boxing easier, what happens?

The best thing they've done yet was to make Phin, it actually does capture what was great about the game in the first place, and that's human interaction. Mercs, boxing, mana regen, defiant, all those things trivialize the game, and allow it to be soloed or boxed, which is pretty much the end of actual EQ.

Every other MMO on the market allows you to waltz through content solo, let us have this one. Once you add mercs, mana regen, etc, you might as well just go roll on a live server. The entire point of these TLPs, and why so many people come back to them, is because the game was "better" when it required you to group with other people. Anything you do that diminishes that need, is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.
    Constellation likes this.
  13. Constellation Augur

I haven't enjoyed a game as much as I enjoyed the first three months of Ragefire. But the time sinks get old and starts to wear you out after awhile. Sometimes I want to login for just an hour and try to accomplish something but in EQ that's really hard to do. Let's say you don't box and want to group for an hour but the reality is it takes an hour just to get going (inviting the right classes, deciding on the place, traveling to that place, getting to a safe spot to experience from, buffing and then starting to pull). I love the days I have time to do all of that but it would be nice to grab a merc and go try to knock out a mob for a quest item and then logging off. I would like to see the older EQ modernized somewhat. Balance is important though, because the live server version of Everquest has no appeal to me at all.
  14. Vaclav Augur

Basically what you described is Combine/Sleeper era + mercs....
  15. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I just want to be able to click items in bags =\
    Sophism, Ducreux and Vaclav like this.
  16. Machen New Member

Correction, we have 5.
  17. Vaclav Augur

Maybe 4, I think Vulak is a LTP server now. (Locked in Time Progression)
    Kontra, Sinzz and Machen like this.
  18. Korillo Augur

True I think of those as live servers but they are actually TLPs still. Regardless, we don't need any additional TLPs at this time and while talking about things ahead of time is helpful, a conversation like this is too soon to be constructive imo.
  19. Constellation Augur

Norrthians figure out how to ride horses and travel to the moon during the same era! So maybe one day we will figure out how to click trinkets in a bag.
  20. Moranis Augur

I'm in the same boat...the only reason I do box is because I usually only have an hour or two to play, and that's just not really enough time to go around looking for a group. I just perma-park my half-group in Velks so that I can start killing right when I log on.
    The travel time-sinks and the buff durations annoy me the most, but the fact that strategy matters in combat is probably my favorite feature of EQ. The uniqueness of what each class can bring to the table is great too...you can play completely differently based on what classes you have in the group. Mercs are OK again, so long as they're re-tuned and made exceedingly expensive to retain.