Microscopic Chat Box, Spell Icons, Compass, Auras Icon, EVERYTHING!! Help??

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Mongbassa, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Mongbassa New Member

I just recently bought a new laptop, downloaded EQ, and logged in.

Game display is perfect, fills the screen nicely, but all of the info boxes and icons are about 1/10th normal size. The chat boxes, compass, inventory, spell bar, songs box, everything that lies on top of the game screen are unreadable/unplayable without holding the laptop almost to my nose.

I contacted EverQuest and we walked through changing resolutions from my natural setting (3840x2160) down to (1920x1080) which made the entire screen 4 inches by 4 inches, down to (800x600) 4" by 4" again. We typed in /chatfontsize = 5, 3, then 1 and only the typing changed inside the box but all the boxes and icons were still microscopic. Then we tried the Alt-Enter and switched to Windowed... no change.

They then stated that EQ cannot handle a 4k resolution monitor because their equipment was old.

So now I am reaching out to the player base and asking for suggestions.

How can I increase my chatboxes, spell bar, compass, etc. to normal, able to be read, size, proportionate to the screen? Please help so I can play :).

I have a screenshot but cannot figure out how to insert it here. Yup, I am an old fart. PC's came out when I was 40 ROFLMAO!!!

Thanks in advance!!
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Don't change your desktop resolution, change the in game resolution (you can be running 3840x2160 on your monitor but run the game at 800x600, for example.
    Mongbassa likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Mongbassa likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Mongbassa likes this.
  5. Mongbassa New Member

Thanks for the response. They walked me through that step as well. No joy :-(
  6. Mongbassa New Member

Thanks for responding!! The second option, /viewport got my heart pumpin, it sounded right, but ti didn't work either. When I hit enter, the display itself shrank into the corner. The icon boxes stayed where they were, unchanged and very small. I changed the order to 2180 1024 0 0 and got the same result, chat boxes unchanged, game itself shrunk into the corner. Thanks for the thought. Much appreciated.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The only thing you can do is download the UI elements for 4k that I linked above put them in a folder under your UI folder in the eq directory. Call it whatever you want... I called mine MYUI once in game select it under the general tab LOAD UI SKIN. You will see the directory you created, select that and you will have bigger spell boxes the writing portion of the message boxes will be larger etc etc.
  8. Mongbassa New Member

Thank you for responding!!

I followed the instructions, selected the new folder, clicked on the 'loadskin', the screen paused and blinked back on but nothing had changed. All boxes were still small. This sounds like the right track. Any idea as to what I can try next?
  9. Rules New Member

Kind of sounds similar to the 4k issue I have every time they patch the eqgame.exe file.
    what I do to fix mine is.
    in the EQ folder right click eqgame.exe and go to properties -
    Compatibility tab
    change high DPI settings
    -Check Override High DPI scaling behavior.
    and set drop down to system.
    restart game.
    hope this helps, took me forever to figure that out for my setup.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Okay just checking to be sure did you unzip each of the 4k files when you put them in the folder. Forgot to mention that step since when you download them they will be zipped still.

[IMG] [IMG] Merc Window for Ultra HD 4K

[IMG] [IMG] Chat Window for Ultra HD 4K
    [IMG] [IMG] Casting Window for UltraHD 4K
    [IMG] [IMG] Hotbuttons for UltraHD 4K

Each of these files will download as zipped files and need to be unzipped. Since they got rid of the potion belt I didn't list that one.
  11. Mongbassa New Member

Thanks for replying!!

This worked almost perfectly!! Thank you!! I have to work on resizing the boxes, kinda big, but 110% better than before. Will try /chatfontsize first! Thanks for the assist. Greatly appreciated.