Fixed Internally Mercenary died mysteriously

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by J'bone, Oct 14, 2022.

1. J'bone Journeyman

Category: Mercenaries
    Date/Time: Fri Oct 14 10:25:14 2022

Character: Level 86 Ranger (Main)
    Zone: The Underquarry

Description: oh, this is bs. Jumped into the hole on my way to the foundation and somehow my merc died? Didn't notice until I got there. This is idiotic.
    I usually go this way because it's easy. Just make sure you have levitation of some sort, jump into the hole and it's a shortcut to the underfoot. Well, Merc died as a result and shouldn't have.
    Mikana, ChiiChii, Alena and 15 others like this.
  2. J'bone Journeyman

And then it happened again. what is this garbage?

Category: Mercenaries [Can Repro]
    Date/Time: Sun Nov 06 09:41:42 2022
    Character: Level 90 Cleric (Main)
    Zone: The Ruins of Old Paineel
    Description: jumping into the hole killed my fully buffed mercenary who was on passive at the time. i did not die, how does this happen?
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Did merc have lev?
    Toukan likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Lemmings.

I have never had a merc die from a fall (even though I have) and all they are allowed to have is spirit of Tala`Tak. The real players get floaty. :D
  5. Gialana Augur

Interesting. The only times I've had a mercenary die from a fall is when I've died from the same fall, probably in a zone that doesn't allow levitation effects.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

My mercenary died tonight from zoning. This is the second time I can remember this happening recently.

I was in the guild hall and took the portal to Shar Vahl, Divided.

[Wed Dec 07 19:33:56 2022] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
    [Wed Dec 07 19:34:26 2022] You have entered Shar Vahl, Divided.

Mercenary was alive and fine in guild hall. Arrived in Shar Vahl, Divided and mercenary was dead.

I know they died and did not just decide to go away because when I brought them back after the five minutes they had lost all their buffs.

Bertoxx server.
    J'bone likes this.
  7. minimind The Village Idiot

Just had the exact same experience in my first visit to Shar Vahl, Divided tonight.

Lilbraen Nothinky, Luclin(Stromm) Server
    J'bone likes this.
  8. Lubianx Augur

Rare's fault?
    Kaenneth and minimind like this.
  9. Spliskin Journeyman

Apparently Shar Vahl Divided can not support more than 60 players. It's been crowded with folks going there to pick up spells/tomes. A warning showed on my screen that the zone had exceeded over 60 players and automatic mercenary suspension was taking place; but my merc was Killed not suspended. I put my merc away on my other accounts before zoning into there.
    CatsPaws and Fanra like this.
  10. Conq Augur

Merc's are the Devil.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Excellent thought here. It seems like this may be what happened. I didn't think of this.
  12. minimind The Village Idiot

I so rarely enter a zone so packed, so it never occurred to be either. But that leads me to a question, if zoning into a zone would lead to an immediate suspending/killing of a merc, shouldn't EQ bump the player to a less-full /pick?
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Same. Died while zoning. Couple times yesterday.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

No, there are reasons not to move players against their desires. Instead, the merc should be suspended with a zero timer to recall them. So if you wish, you can go to a pick and unsuspend your merc right away and engage mobs.

However, it seems instead of suspending mercs, the game is killing them.
    Carden, Urturn and minimind like this.
  15. Gialana Augur

Did you notice if your button said "Revive" instead of "Unsuspend?" Having the mercenary die for 5 minutes and having it suspended for 5 but losing all of its buffs have the same net effect. I'm just curious.
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I cannot recall now whether or not it said Unsuspend or Revive. It did lose all buffs and was at about half HP when I could bring them back after five minutes.
    Paladin and Gialana like this.
  17. Elyssanda Bardbrain

same here.. I looked and went huh? I dont think anything attacked us zoning in from the GH, looked around, nothing in shar vahl zone in area to kill him.. but.. poor Bob was deaded.
    Urturn likes this.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

I thought about maybe something attacked me but first my merc doesnt die quick and 2nd there was no battle text in chat log and 3rd if the merc had agro Id have had agro.
    minimind likes this.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

no, they bump the mercs because they are expendable. and that is why the mercs let us die. revenge
    minimind likes this.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I think we have something going on here that might not be related since this post was started before the New Expansion was released.

I took the guild portal to Shar Vahl Divided today and my merc was killed. There are 32 players in the zone. So its not an issue of the zone being too full. Edit: merc was in passive mode when I zoned and shows "revive" after the timer counted down.

Someone else who zoned in next to me still had his merc.
    Urturn likes this.