Manaburn

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Yinla, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

How long has it been allowed to be overwritten?

From what I remember adittional MBs used to bounce and not use the AA.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

#MakeManaburnGreatAgain
    Wolfimus likes this.
  3. Dreadmore Augur

Don't know if I'm understanding correctly, but is this relevant? https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/wizards-mana-burn-ninja-fix.249433/

4. kizant Augur

They don't know to block it without you losing mana so there's only two options. The current one is probably for the better.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It used to reset the key and not take the mana.
  6. Goodn Augur

No offense, if you are going to spend time trying to get something fixed...why not get the ITC/TC bug fixed....the one where ITC will not only block twin cast (which is okay) but waste the spell gem (which is not).

This stupid bug not only bones wizards, but mages and druids as well.

Mana burn GINA triggers are easy to make and wizards in a raid should be coordinating mana burn castings while they are coordinating alliance and tea times (or maybe even tee times).
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Are you sure?

I remember it used to reset the key AND take the mana. :confused:
  8. kizant Augur

Not the version we had like 6 months ago. Plus as long as it does the DD component you can choose how you want to use it. There may not be a need for all the counters toward the end of a fight. If you want to make sure mana burn isn't on the mob use an inspectbuffs audio trigger.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I actually prefer the current implementation. :)

Question: does the debuff block the nuke component of the following MBs, or can 4 wizzies combined "insta-gib" lesser mobs now?
  10. Goodn Augur

It seems there are 17 ranks of mana burn for purposes of damage. There are 23 ranks of the aa. So 6 ranks are for hastening refresh (I think).

I just tested with 4 wizards in RT. 106 at rank 18, 110, at rank 18, 109 at rank 18, and 110 at rank 20. The 3 at rank 18 cast mana burn 12, while the one at rank 20 cast mana burn 14.

Cast order was as listed above. Just mana burn was cast on the mob. As long as each wizard in succession had at least the level of mana burn (number of ranks in aa) as the previous one AND was at least the level of the previous mana burn caster, mana burn landed. When the 109 wizard tried to land mana burn 12 on the mob (a poor grove braxi), he got a did not take hold message...which implies that there's some sort of level component to whether or not the mana burn effect will land.

Since the mobs hps went down in 3 chunks, I'm going to say that yes, you can continue to hit a mob for the first part of the mana burn as long as everyone is at the same level of mana burn and character level, or at least you are always staying the same or going up on both. The buff will be refreshed if a same level lands.

Here's an interesting thing I found...when the fourth wizard cast mana burn 14, both the mana burn 12 and mana burn 14 buffs showed up on the mobs. So you can at least have multiple versions of the mana burn buff up on the same mob at the same time. Waiting for mb to repop before trying to see if both buffs are in effect. [See update for more info]

So long story short, the answer to your first part is no. For the second part, the answer is sort of.

Remember, the 25 percent of hit point max is current hitpoints. So, if you had 4 wizards with max manaburn aas casting on a mob with 11.2M hitpoints, the most you could do is 68.36 percent. Spells cannot land simultaneous...so the first hits for full (2.8M - 25%), the second hits for (25% remaining - 2.1M), etc. If the mob has more hitpoints that 11.2M to start, you are doing even less percentagewise with 4 mana burns.

So every 36 minutes, you can knock a mob down at most 68.36 percent with 4 mana burns at once. Woo Hoo!

UPDATE:
    I brought in a 5th wizard, 110 and max mana burn. Did all in proper level/mana burn rank order and every one landed the dd part. The manaburn 12 and 14 buffs landed, but manaburn 17 from the 5th wizard overwrote the manaburn 14 buff.

So whatever the aa description says, is wrong...there's nothing that prevents multiple wizards from mana burning the same mob within a short time frame and getting the main dd part.

Since I actually read the aa description again, it would seem that rank 12 is the last mana burn where the buff doesn't actually do anything. It's mana burn 13 and above which has the next 500 dd spell component.

I suspect with ranks 13-17, you can only have one up on the mob a time. I'll keep playing around with it if I can find out anything more useful.
    Jumbur likes this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Hmm, I was under the impression that it was 25% of total hitpoints...

So you can never get a killshot with a manaburn, no matter how wounded the target is? :confused:
  12. Goodn Augur

Actually I think I spoke too soon...I didn't realize that the non-max aa wizard's mana burn did such little damage. When my wizard main fired his mana burn on a goral grove at 32 percent, he went down to 7 percent...which would imply that you can kill a mob with 4 mana burns.

Waiting for timers to pop again to try in a lower zone...

...be sure to catch the newest video series 5 Wizards and A Healer Merc as they travel through Norrath testing mana burn and then standing perfectly still for 36 minutes.

Update:
    Yep, the 25 percent is at full health so 3 mana burns at aa rank 19 or better (mana burn 13 or better) will knock a mob 25 percent of its health. So you can mana burn a mob to death with 4 mana burns up to 11.2M hps starting.

Note that aa rank 18 (mana burn 12) and under don't have the cap, so you can just kill mobs outright with it...up to 80k hitpoints.
    Jumbur likes this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So MB is now behaving more like it did when it was introduced at level 60 :)

Time to badger the raid leader to get all 9 wizzies in the raid at once and see what kind of damage we can do on raids now if we all cast MB together. :)
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The problem with that approach, is that the majority of manaburn damage comes from the aftereffect. and there can still only be 1 aftereffect active at a time(unless you use a really low rank).
  15. kizant Augur

Not really. One twincast from Skyfire, or even better a mage's Volley, is going to do far more damage with max adps than mana burn.

And the idea of using 4 to instant kill a 10 million hp mob is a huge waste. If it weren't for the 500 counters it's a pretty underwhelming ability and they don't know how to scale the upgrades properly each expansion so it keeps getting worse until it needs another revamp.
  16. Wolfimus New Member

#make mana burn