Mana ?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Jmag, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Jmag Journeyman

I am a mage. I group with two wizards and sometimes a necro. The necro NEVER runs out of mana. The wizards use my mod rods often, but never seem to run out of mana.

Whereas the above, I run out of mana when chain-pulling while the others do not. I click my mod rod at 90%, 70% and 50%, I use Gather Mana at 50-70% and again when lower. I use Mana Reserve when I drop below 20%. I think I'm doing all I can to maintain my mana pool, but it never seems to last.

Could you please make our Gather Mana as good as the Harvest wizards have?
    Ibadan Kun'Tirel likes this.
  2. DruidCT Augur

Second post comparing yourself to a wizard. Go play a wizard if thats what you want. Most classes have various tradeoffs and benefits. As a Druid I have always had to know and accept that I would be far behind the best at anything. If you want to see mana disappear watch me pretend I can DPS. I make up for it with the breadth of abilities and I wouldn't want to play any other class (well except maybe a Mage, Beastlord, Warrior..... oh nevermind).
    Benzarden likes this.
  3. Piemastaj Augur

Although Jmag is going about this in a pretty bad way, he is not wrong.

We used to have trade-offs with other classes, we do not any more. We have a meat shield, and that is the only thing we do better then classes. Which is great until you have an actual group, or are on a raid where the tanking does absolutely no good.

Then we have mediocre DPS, absolutely no mana pool, and happen to be one of the worst classes to raid with because we are reliant on 2 things that can not be controlled easily to actually DPS.

One class can only be nerfed so much before people simply stop playing it. Looking like House of Thule all over.
  4. Cicelee Augur

Well you forgot to mention Thaumatise Pet, Elemental Symbiosis, and Water Elemental form. And several clickies to improve mana regen.

Not saying you are or are not using them. But you be surprised how many Mages I see not even use their KOTP clickie before it was made into an item AA...
  5. Brohg Augur

Or Wand of Dark Modulation (which doesn't share use timer with Giant Modrod), or Forced Rejuvenation (which moves you from 3 to 4 Gathers per 20 minutes).
  6. Cheryberryfairy Elder

Don't use forceful for mana! Wtf! That's DPS all the way gawd damn.

Pie what 2 things are mages dependent on? Wizards sucking aaaannnd? :p
  7. Piemastaj Augur

Normal pets and Swarm pets which are tied to our nukes.
  8. Brohg Augur

I opine that the scenarios in which you're FRing away the 19s cooldown on Servant are separate from those that require the full mana bar plus Gathers. FR can indeed be used for a bit of dps boost, but it can alternately be used for +13k mana. Split card, choose your mode, etc.
  9. Gurnney New Member

New to mage. I am learning there are more tricks then I thought for the mage. A few brought up here I'm not sure what they mean.
    Thaumatise Pet - what is this?
    Elemental Symbiosis = Dark Symbiosis I imagine
    KOTP clickie = no idea what this means.

I appreciate the help from reading boards
  10. Cicelee Augur

Thaumatise Pet is an Underfoot expansion spell. Does a small DD to a mob, then gives you mana back over time for a minute or so. Refresh is around 2-3 minutes or so. Be warned I could have spelling of it wrong.

KOTP = Knowledge of the Past. Found generally on rings. Adds mana regeneration.
  11. Drayze Elder

Thaumatize pet is a level 83 spell that nukes your pets target and returns you manage over tjme. It is one of those spells that the mage community wishes got an upgrade from expansion to expansion. But it is still one of our best mana regeneration tools.

Kotp = your knowledge of the past clickie....it gives you manage and health regeneration.

Edit to add that Cicely beat me to it :)
  12. Leex Pewpewer

You'd think the fact that Mages are masters of mana aka mod rods they'd be the class with the highest mana reg of all the casters, sadly we aren't.

We get a self rod vs Wizards who get an AA harvest. Our rod is instant, the harvest AA gives more but has a cast time ( not nearly as long as spell though ) so I mean there is a trade off of sorts but after so many years the AA harvest is pretty OP compared to our self rods.

In the group game you should switch to rains and then just use spears when you've got mods running. Rains will help the mana pool out a lot. Thaumatize pet is great but make sure you use it every time it comes back up otherwise you're basically wasting a spell gem slot.

Are you using Mana Tonics? They help a great deal, also if you want to use AA's to help your mana out, you could use Glyph of lost secrets, but just remember if you do use secrets you can't use cata for your burns.

Necro's will always have more mana then you, although you should be able to keep a competitive mana pool with the Wizards for the most part, overall they'll keep more mana but not by much.

Rains and the Mana Tonic will probably be your best bet though..
    Axxius and Sancus like this.
  13. Gurnney New Member

Thanks for the reply guys. I got the 83 spell for the nuke mana regen and will test it out.
    It also looks like I need to farm for the 15% evocation and conjuration augs. I will also look to buy the mana tonics.

Good information all around.
    Leex likes this.
  14. Igniz Augur

Am I the only mage who thinks needing to use a Spell from 20 Levels and 6 expansions ago to use our "best" instrument for mana return is a little bit sad?

TBH, I banned it from my spellbar. Gaining 1200 (always) - 2000 (1% of cases) mana every two minutes really is a drop in the bucket, especially on current raids, where DPS > all ... Between 4 different nukes (from two or three different expansions, depending on setup), maybe even rains, if my group allows it (mez-pulls, e.g.), swarmpet, Malo, Pet Heal + Dichotomic, Self Rune, Gather and Spell Twincast, and Elemental Symbiosis, there already are awefully many more worthy candidates for my spellbarespecially considering our current spear costs 4900 mana base, 100 spear 4200 mana base ... Rains still 1900 on average ...
  15. RPoo Augur

obv your chanters should be nuking more to give you gifts of mana!
  16. Piemastaj Augur

Issue is, by banning something that returns mana to you it kind of means you don't actually need that mana if your not using all the tools you have to recover it.

While I certainly see your point, it becomes hypocritical when trying to argue for us needing more mana tools if Mages don't use the ones we already have available.
    RPoo, Leex and Igniz like this.
  17. Brohg Augur

An update with halfway worthy damage to go with its mana return sure would be nice, though. As it stands, casting it maybe doubles the mana return of just not casting a spell for those 4 seconds, and it's only maybe more more damage than meleeing for those 4 seconds :/

I only cast it between fights.
  18. Heatwave Journeyman

Put thaumatize as last spell in your nuke multibind, it will fire automatically when the mob dies and you no longer have a valid nuke target. Don't sacrifice dps for the mana return.
  19. Cicelee Augur

One of a Monk's primary DPS disc comes from 45 levels ago and 21 expansions...
    Leex likes this.
  20. Heatwave Journeyman

And does adds the exact same overall damage now as it did 21 expansions ago too, right?

Thaumatize does not scale and give a certain amount of our mana pool back to us, or anything like that, unlike melee discs that scale with them.

Invalid comparison, discs that scale vs a non-scaling spell.

Edit: I also don't believe Thaumatize is anywhere near our 'best' personally... I loathe any mana return with casting times and personally feel all instant or long lasting mana assistance is better than something that must be cast repeatedly.
    Igniz likes this.