Losing subscribers due to no 2nd Ragefire server and long queues

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Chips, May 24, 2015.

1. Draden Elder

We have no idea how many people are waiting in que or how many aren't even trying because it's rediculous. We have no idea on how populated a second server would be. There might a be another 4k players that would fill it up for a long time, or just a few hundred that would make a 2nd pointless.

I have a feeling that DBG doesn't know either, so it would be very hard to commit a server without good knowledge on those numbers.
  2. Vanrau Augur

The reason why they do not want to open a 2nd server is because of the ghost town Fippy and Vulak has turned into. They want to keep the progression players consolidated onto one server even if that means people waiting in line. I'm surprised they never merged Fippy and Vulak. But then again, it's probably a ton of work they just can't afford at this time with such a small team.
  3. Regnon Journeyman

I think the biggest problem is the multi boxer's who sit there with all 4 of their toons all day every day and never log out, or the Plat farmers doing the exact same thing.
  4. Makenzi Journeyman

Ironic if they can't afford it because 6 out of the 10 that came to play with us have all canceled all ready. Most only had evenings to play so they' made only 3 levels since they could hardly log in. I honestly think they were only in it for the first month sub's. Reminds me of some swg crap pulled back in the day.
  5. Mardy Augur

If they have every intentions to merge the servers when one becomes low populated, then I'd support a second server without hesitation. But having gone through Fippy/Vulak, and my main characters were on Vulak, I watched Vulak die a slow death. Without merging Vulak into Fippy, the game lost more subscribers than probably the people leaving now due to queues. EQ is simply not EQ without population, you can't really enjoy old school EQ without the crowds. And if you're someone who likes to do your own things and don't need the crowds, then I point you to EQ Live server, where you can go lvl 1 - 105 all on your own with just yourself and your mercs.

So given what we know about the slow death of Vulak, this is why I don't support a second server. Today I happily waited in queue for 45 minutes, knowing when I login there's gonna be crowded cities and zones, and lots of LFG/LFM. EQ is the kind of game where if people start feeling lonely, start to not have people to group with, play with, and cities & zones become ghost towns, people will quit faster than you think.

Now again, if they indicate they would merge the 2nd server within a year or when population falls below a x number, then I'm ALL for a second server. Until then, queues mean a healthy game for the type of game EQ is, given the era we're in.
  6. Regnon Journeyman

Even in the old days you never sat in que for a hour though...its just stupid.
  7. Ultrazen Augur

It's going to be a self correcting problem, as a lot of people won't bother, especially now that some time has gone by, and they aren't really in "the race" anymore. Unfortunately for DBG, that self correcting problem is going to cost them a lot of money.

Why they didn't just plan on 2 servers and a merge down the road when they first thought of this is beyond me. In todays market, putting up a server isn't nearly as expensive as it used to be, it's a bit of a /boggle as a business decision.
  8. Mardy Augur

It's moot to compare to the old days. This is how it is today, and avoiding another Vulak collapse is a good thing if merging is not an option for them. When Vulak died a slow death, I left 10 characters I leveled because it wasn't fun anymore. If I wanted a whole zone to myself I would've just played on EQ Live.

Yes waiting in line sucks, which is why people should adjust how they do things. Rather than come home from work/school, take a shower, make something to eat, then sit down and attempt to login. It's better you come home, login and get queued up, then take a shower, make some food, etc..

Like today I woke up, rather than do the usual when I wake up, I logged in to get queued up first. Then I made coffee, food, shower, etc.. It really isn't too bad knowing once you're in, you're in for good and you can play your hearts out.
  9. Karhar Dream Crusher

waiting 58 minutes, just to ld in 10 due to my internet taking a dump, and boot my character to log back in, back in line i go.
  10. Mardy Augur

The part about being "in the race" is true, but the same people who are rage quitting because naggy/vox have been killed, would've rage quit on the 2nd server when the same dragons are killed roughly in the same time frame by another guild.

People are gonna quit for whatever reasons, and those that are very touchy to things such as boxing, powerful mage pets, raid kills, inability to find a group in 1 minute, etc.. those folks won't last long no matter what Daybreak did. And yes they'll leave, rage quit, and the server will open up like it did with Fippy/Vulak. Except this time with the hardline stance on not having a 2nd server, we won't end up with an empty server this round. So those enjoy playing with others get to continue enjoying it.

Now if they would just open up Kunark sooner than later, then we'll be set, there will be less dungeon crowding issues due to the amount of content Kunark adds to the game from lvl 1-60.