Loot boxes declared as gambling in Belgium and Hawaii

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Millianna, Nov 21, 2017.

1. strongbus Augur

the thing is that the reason they got in trouble for gambling was that the box could contain something worthless or contain something that help you be more powerful(a uber rare weapon or such). for daybreak the pets in a bag wouldn't count as the pets don't help you be more powerful in anyway.

that is why it was considered gambling in that country. it wasn't that it was a random chance for something that don't have a impact on the game(for example the armor skins. they don't add stats to your just change what you look like). It was that people where paying to try and win some uber item that make them more powerful(lets say for example daybreak offered a selection of uber rare weapons. but to get them you had to use station cash to buy a random box that open and give you a weap or some useless crappy item that dose nothing for you in game.)
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The big difference is that with base ball cards you can sell/trade away your duplicate or unwanted cards or even just buy individual cards you want. In most cases you can't do that with loot boxes and you can only hope that you get lucky when opening them.
  3. Xnao Augur

4. Uxtalzon Augur

[IMG]

It's Star Wars, you don't mess with Star Wars. It was just more blatant cash grab with loot crates.

Daybreak has EA beat by the sheer number of schemes, though.
  5. Hateseeker Augur

Planetside 2. You can buy multiple implant crates, get 100% duplicates, get a few hundred ISO-4 back. Planetside 2 is a Daybreak game.
  6. Numzan Augur

Regulations where thrown out the door years ago. Everyone finds ways around it.
  7. Millianna Augur

Who knows if anything will happen. However, if loot boxes are legally defined as gambling, I really doubt you see much more of them. Each state may have a different way of dealing with them, causing an absolute nightmare scenario to implement them.
  8. Xanumbik Augur

star trek online I cant tell you how much $ I have spent on that game the loot boxes drop like candy but you have to buy the keys to open them its horrible to try to resist opening them lol
  9. Smak Augur

Is a company secret santa gift pool considered gambling?