Leave Hardcore Server Alone!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by trollmind, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Lumiens Augur

I know it may be too much for for them to do, but I'd like the Hardcore in Hardcore server to mean more challenging raid content, making it an accomplishment to be able to clear everything in era based on difficulty, not cramming everything into 1 month unlock time factors.
  2. Crayon123 Augur

QFT, what in the world are you people smoking? Coirnav catered to the SLOW AS MUD 'XP' crowd and it had an insane drop off of players in the first 2 weeks. My entire guild was gutted from the get-go, NO ONE was interested in that junk XP rate - and that's without the stupid XP penalty of Mangled!
  3. Locnar Journeyman

Please ignore Mangler if you want faster xp, you have selos. Simple enough. The truth is Mangler needs MORE gimmicks in addition to slow xp to truly deserve the tittle of a hardcore server. Hardcore server = EQ how it was back in 1999. Where are the corpse runs? Where is the non- spell progression? Where is the need to look at the actually landscape and landmarks instead of staring at a ezmode mini-map to get around? Where is the actual boat travel that gave you a sense of travel and isolation when you took the time to go to Odus or Erud's crossing, or Ocean of Tears?

Will we get even a fraction of the above? no, and its hilarious that after 20 years and 10000 servers, people can't even accept a server with slower xp.

Leave it alone and GO TO SELOS.
    ch0rny likes this.
  4. Stagentti Augur

People have been looking for xp rates that low??
    snailish and Crayon123 like this.
  5. Crayon123 Augur

Haven't seen a single thread asking for lower XP rates, that's a negative.
    snailish likes this.
  6. Stagentti Augur

Exactly my point.

He claimed the server fits a niche people have been looking for.

Yet no one has been asking for xp rates this slow.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  7. snailish Augur

I think it is a fallacy to think that Daybreak wants to mimic P99 and steal that crowd, only now they will pay to play it. If hardcore is original vision (which was disjointed, relied on players not knowing stuff and was a lot of tedium/timesinks) Mangler as announced isn't even close to what P99 offers in respects to hardcore joy.

Casual/hardcore is a meaningless debate as people don't agree on what it means, or where they fit.

Selos has one problem... someone put an "ultracasual" label on it. Remove that label, fixed! --Lots are looking forward to playing on it. Leave it as is. Note that I doubt I even log in to Selos, not championing what I want for me.

Ragefire/Lockjaw showed 6 months unlocks would be fine. Saying "Phinny destroyed it because of 3 month unlocks" is choosing convenient facts. Truebox hype* and AoC reality are the much bigger factors. *the problem box armies didn't all stay on Rage/Lock.

Mangler has AoC... nothing hardcore (I prefer classic-ist to go with the OP's apparent intent) about that.

Extra death penalty just means your pick up group in the 30s that screws up and eats a death will now lose 2 hours of effort instead of 1. This is why people complained about the relaxed alt (casual?) game on Phinny and stayed away from Coirnav in droves.

Low XP is not a sell. If it is to you... play a non-ideal solo class and ta-da --you have slow XP challenge. Lower than Phinny XP would doom Mangler to start with a very low population.

Selos is the fast progression server. Just look at the rules, and how the excited people say they are going to play it.

Several existing progression servers offer a tweak on "average" and remain viable.

Mangler should serve the "Slow progression" market. But not with slow XP as the limiting factor. That's the niche I would serve. If someone wants to contend that a "Hard progression" is the way to go that is fine, but not seeing many if any coherent concepts of that lately.
  8. Ceffener Augur

Most will, especially if they change the unlock speed. But it’s hard to call Selos the “Utra-Casual” with 1 months unlocks. Something has to change to these servers.
  9. Rolento Augur

Your right, it needs more gimmicks, slow exp though is probably the worst gimmick of them all. If you want the P99 experience you should go play on P99. If you want Mangler to survive and have a population to support it, the exp rate has to change.

I do definitely agree with you though that it should have more "gimmicks". Aside from the suggestions people have offered over and over like FV rule set. I don't see much else they can do.

I also think they shouldn't have labeled the servers Casual and Hardcore, because everyone has an opinion on what that is to them. They should drop those two titles to the servers.
    snailish likes this.
  10. snailish Augur

Being the only server in classic is a gimmick/sell. [I personally don't enjoy classic in classic]

Focus effects being turned off until Luclin is a sell. --reality is it is a much needed tuning adjustment in the right direction.

AoC is a sell to anyone not into a racing unlock competitive scene.

Free trade loot is a funny one. Sell to some, total turn off to others. They could do it this time.

Totally agree that slow XP and more death penalty is a negative rather than a sell to the vast majority of players that otherwise might have gone Mangler.

3 month unlocks is meh... average and tolerable. Not a true sell. Shorter unlocks on Mangler wouldn't be a sell... Mangler has the opportunity to be slower and have that be the gimmick. Long unlocks is the way to do this --this would be a sell to the niche population that wants this to not be an intense atmosphere server (i.e., casual in playtime, casual in intentions, not concerned about beating everything in era though a guild could since there is lots of time).

Selos is the opposite. Being polars is a great gimmick. If a person dislikes them both... lots of "average ground" servers already going. Coirnav just got to PoP... Agnarr is PoP/LDon lock and good XP rate. Phinny and Rage still have guilds doing in-era... most progression have population and will after these two niches ones drop.
  11. Brunlin Augur

....OR bump Mangler to Agnaar level xp, and watch this server compete with Selos on population.