Leave Hardcore Server Alone!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by trollmind, Feb 17, 2019.

1. trollmind New Member

The majority of EQ players have always wanted a less hardcore game. That's a fact. The constant cries for faster exp go all the way back to 1999. Give these people what they want -- on Selos. And ignore all their endless complaining, requests, wish listing for Mangler too.

After all these years of progression, it's finally time Daybreak makes a x99 style server where investing in characters actually means something in EQ again.

The reality is even most the so-called 'hardcore' players are actually casuals. They want fast exp and loot handed to them on a merry go-round of AoCs.

If they had their way, they could buy all their epic drops FV style, AOCs timers would be reduced in half, all drop rates would increase, exp would permanently be increased 500%, and loot would rain from the heavens literally.

No matter what you give this community, the majority of them will be 'satisfied' at best. None of them will agree on what was 'ideal' hardly.

Caving in to the casuals and the forum posters is a mistake on both servers. Let them have Selos. Make it as close to what they 'think' they want as possible, and leave Mangler alone.

Remember that the majority of us don't post on forums. This is always an overly vocal 1-2% of the total population of TLP or any server.

The reality is that Mangler will become popular for the very reasons that x99 and classic EQ were popular. Everything you do on Mangler will mean something. If you have an epic toon, you earned it. It will hold more value to you because you worked harder for it. Part of the problem with all modern gaming is that it leans toward just giving players everything fast and easy, and then they are bored in a month and crying for new content, new games, and new ...gasp...TLPs.

Leave Hardcore Server Alone plebs! Daybreak please ignore the 1-2% of forum posters and trust your gut. We don't need another clone server of phinigel/agnarr/coirnav. We've already had years of the same exp rates, 3 month unlocks. Make this one hard, and roll the dice! People will always blame and complain. Any hope for a true 'hardcore' server is being lost in all this noise.
    Chrispy, Locnar and ch0rny like this.
  2. Shakara Augur

I agree that the server should remain as is. it fits a niche that people have been looking for.
    ch0rny likes this.
  3. Trox2010 Augur

Yeah they should leave Mangler alone; that way Fippy will look super populated in comparison.
    Zephiron likes this.
  4. Nolrog Augur

That is your opinion. Your opinion =/= fact, nor do you speak for the majority of EQ players.

And if you're going to post things to incite arguments, at least be man enough to do it on your main account, don't hide behind an account you created today.
    Duladin, Zephiron and Bolten_DA like this.
  5. ch0rny Elder

I agree. Most people calling for Mangler changes are actually calling for the “hardcore” server to be less punishing and more friendly to content racing as if simply doing that AGAIN is the only definition of hardcore out there. Has there been a TLP that didn’t already have guilds move there and race? Speed runs are old.
  6. Fiyero Augur

What niche would that be? Mangler will be DoA. Nobody is going to put up with super slow XP and massive XP loss from deaths.
    Zephiron, snailish and Crayon123 like this.
  7. Ceffener Augur

The only thing Mangler has like x99 is slower XP. Then there is a cash store that will sell you potions to get around that.

I don’t understand how you feel more accomplished by doing the exact same thing over and over for a longer period of time. The only thing that earns you is the “i sat in LGuk the longest badge”. Challenges should come from the game itself, not artificial time gates.

Problem is the game isn’t hard for many expansions, especially when all fights are known.
    Brunlin and Crayon123 like this.
  8. Umul Augur

It is not an exaggeration to say, that at MOST, 1 guild on Mangler will actively pursue open world raids and race to them. If the rules stay it might be the only guild on the server. The proof is on Phinny, Agnarr and Coirnav, quite literally one rehashed version of the same guild is the only guild that races.
    Zephiron likes this.
  9. ch0rny Elder

We can argue that nothing in EQ is hardcore that way. How is beating stuff that’s been beat for 20 years (but fast) hardcore? At best some guild will kill Naggy 30 minutes faster than on some other TLP? If racing is hardcore, then doing it faster with slower exp is still more hardcore. Keeping your guild leveled after failed raids and death touches with a punishing death penalty is more hardcore. If anything in EQ is still hardcore, doing it handicapped is more hardcore.
  10. ch0rny Elder

My meaning is just that hardcore could be more than just content racing. To me, it would be doing the old stuff in a much less forgiving environment again. I was excited for Mangler....even wanted corpse runs.
  11. Umul Augur

I agree with some of this. I was truly intrigued by a "challenge" server. People calling for different rules on Mangler is more a symptom of neither new TLP being an ultra casual server, by definition of the forums. I love no focus effects on the server. I just think gimping the xp is kinda lazy. If they want to make it challenging, then they could have been way more creative than that. Buff the mobs, make the level cap 48, idk. If there is no other way to make it challenging besides XP manipulation than scratch it and go the other way, cause after all, there is no casual server, by definition of the forums.
    snailish likes this.
  12. Ceffener Augur

Here let me sell you an XP potion, they are 20% off. Woo handicap gone. At least ask for a server that actually makes things challenging.

Quoted the wrong post, but you get what I mean. The old stuff would have to actually be brought back, just tweaking the XP looks more like a cash grab than any “hardcore” ruleset. AoC is still there, it’s every other TLP, just slightly slower.

But how is clearing the same content with slower XP, more/less “hardcore” than cleaning the same content in 1/12th the time....not like XP was boosted 12x launch rates.
    Umul likes this.
  13. ch0rny Elder

I’ve come to think there is no identifiable casual player. Some think casual is to play slowly, but experience ALL content in era, and others think it’s to sample content as they choose before getting bored. I saw one post saying Selos is too fast to be casual and the very next saying it’s too slow. Both people claimed to be casual.
  14. Umul Augur

Quoted for Truf points
  15. Umul Augur

Well no one told DBG to call them casual and hardcore Lol. They should have gone with difficutly level instead of labeling by a play style with a fluid changing definition.
  16. Ceffener Augur

I think it’s safe to say anyone claiming 4 weeks is too slow is probably trolling. At that point FV or Test is a much better ruleset. If your just going to unlock to live in a couple months and the entire playerbase is past you...we don’t really need a new server for that.
    Umul likes this.
  17. ch0rny Elder

I guess in interpreted hardcore differently. I don’t care about firsts and what. I was happy for a more punishing environment. However they manage it. Steeper death penalties will breed a different mindset just because people would want to die much less. Especially when coupled with slower exp. I think playing there would have had a different feel other than just people complaining about slow exp. I never imagined it would be wildly popular. It’ll probably be changed anyhow. =(
  18. Ceffener Augur

After clerics have 96% Rez is it really that big of a deal? Back in era the corpse run being able to get a rez was always the concern, but for raids Clerics always brought you back. So without CR the more XP doesn’t seem like it would do much.
  19. ch0rny Elder

Went back and looked. He actually said 1 month was great for him. Not too slow.... others were too slow, so he got bored by Luclin so Selos is perfect for one last tour of EQ. I have a friend who thinks kinda the same. Says he’s done 1-50 countless times, so Selos means he can quickly level and try out any content missed before without being stuck in one expansion too long.
    Yinla likes this.
  20. ch0rny Elder

It may or may not. Other than the few raids with death touch, it means at least spending time finding a willing cleric. Exp rate will also affect soloers as it’s probably not the most efficient. The difficulties are in no way insurmountable, but I still feel it would have a unique feel to it and people would make more trusted friends for regular grouping. Not necessarily the ideal tho.