Learning Norrath's Languages

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Agrippa, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Randomized Augur

Correct. You can't queue commands any more. So just make one and spam it
    Nennius likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

KarmaKitty and Randomized like this.
  3. CrazyLarth Augur

trying to understand this but I think they are saying that if 25 peeps choose to spam 25 different languages in a single channel your toon is in it going a lot faster then one on one.
  4. Randomized Augur

Game wide channels do not work.
    Has to be group, or within /say range

But what we're saying is you can't press 3 different hot buttons set up with 5 lines of talking (for 15 lines of talk total), and have all 15 lines come out at once. So spamming 1 button with 5 lines is just as effective as trying to spam 3 buttons with 5 lines.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

The mythbuster did some work today:
    He compared two different hotbutton setups and the stopwatch results were about equal. Just a difference of 3% in average for five runs each which is statistically not significant. Chat channel was set to group. Languages got raised from 1-100. So much about Uzuns.

Shillingworth's setup:

HDQRS MUZJIK EXPTL FCONV GAWBY

vs.

Iven's setup:
    a
    b
    c
    d
    e
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

a long time ago a dev taught me that it takes 3 letters to count as a line.

More letters than that just take longer.

/g abc
    /g def
    /g ghi
    /g jkl
    /g mno
  7. Iven the Lunatic

Looks like another myth that has to be busted. :D Any proof by testing that against one letter words ?
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Back when the conversation with the dev happened, luclin was live and we were in Shadowhaven on Karana server. Our group tested it then and it was true. Much has changed though. Yes, we tested it and it took 3 consecutive letters to count as a word. How we've always done it since. More than 3 is an utter waste of time.

We were trying different methods and several players grouped. A couple players in group were doing single letter lines and if slowed down, hence asking the dev, who happened to be in zone randomly at the time dealing with another issue. We all reset to three letter words and it went noticeably faster.
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

the chat window scroll has a finite limit. More data overwhelms that, so yes, but to a point.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

Another myth has been busted. :cool:

Did eight runs with:

abc
    def
    ghi
    jkl
    mno

and six with:

a
    b
    c
    d
    e

Used a different toon this time and the Shadowrest zone. a, b, c, d, e was 5% faster but basically all methods are equal in speed. The INT stat has a significant influence on raising languages but not the text lines.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

If you include rouge or teh, does it subtract language skill?
    Joules_Bianchi and Tatanka like this.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

Only at 12 pm during a friday the 13th.
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Jsut a little :p
    Joules_Bianchi and Nennius like this.
  14. Fluid Augur

I did it on an Arduino Leonardo but since I used serial vs the USB, it should work with all of them. I had some trouble with missed characters so I dropped the BAUD rate to 300 and added a 50 milisec delay. Computer thinks you are typing via a serial keyboard.

Lot's of oddities in that it just sends the alphabet so if you have 'I for open inventory, your inventory opens! Bunch of other stuff too like Claims.

If anybody is interested in the code, #1 my laptop became unplugged and battery died! But trivial reproduce program. I normally have the Leonardo acting as a keyboard so I can automate a few things for attended macroing. Still takes 5-10 minutes to master a language, but that's good enough for me.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

ikr?
    Nennius and Rijacki like this.