Learning Norrath's Languages

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Agrippa, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Agrippa Augur

Players are able to learn and teach all of the languages within seconds now? How is this done? The fastest way that I'm familiar with was spamming merc in a group and it could take hours.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

A little more background would help. Did you see this in a patch, hear it from a friend? Are they using something they shouldn't?

I also only know of the merc method. That doesn't really take hours though. Maybe 10 minutes each language
  3. Stymie Pendragon

I agree with CatsPaws on the 10 minute part, though it may take a little longer at times. I setup a group macro that repeats "hello" 5 times and spam it. It starts out slow, but the skill ups increase in frequency after a little bit.

On FV everyone needs to know Elvish to communicate. The other languages are mostly optional.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Agrippa Augur

250 minutes sounds about right for 25 languages. There are several players in the /newplayers channel on FV that are able to teach them all within a minute, though. It's been several years since I last played, so I had just thought that more advanced macroing might be easily possible in today's age. GMs are welcome to check my logs if anything sounds off.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I must be thick this morning cause I see nothing that says how they are doing it. Do you know?

We are not GM's and no GM will be looking at your logs cause there is no reason to. We are just trying to find out what you are talking about. But your welcome to screen shot this and post it.

How is it done? If there are several doing it then perhaps ask them and tell us here? Sounds to me like you want to report some cheating but don't want to come out and accuse them
  6. Gialana Augur

I would imagine that if you got together a full group that wanted to learn all of the languages, you could speed up the process by a factor of 6. Each person in the group would speak a different language in group say.

But as far as speeding up the process when using just a mercenary, there's no way I know of. Even if you repeatedly press your 5-line macro, it won't make you learn faster because it still takes a finite time to get through all 5 lines of the macro.
    Annastasya and Rijacki like this.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

2 factors. Well, 3 really:

1 - Spammers on FV are likely lying about how long it takes. You don't have to believe everything you hear :)
    2 - Yes, multiple PCs in a group is how you really speed it up. Buy a few points in several languages on each, and have each use a 5 line macro to spam stuff. With 6 in the group, you'd be surprised how effective this is
    3 - about 2-2.5 years ago, they made a change to skilling up (for everything BUT tradeskills) where, if you were far below your present skill cap, skillups would come much more quickly. I have seen this for many different skills, no reason to believe it wouldn't also apply to languages.
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

This still depends on your guild or group of friends. Not as much as in the 'old days' (i.e. the first years after the server opened) but there are still roleplayers on the server.

Or all speaking the same language.

In the long past, if you maxed the Int or Wis of a character (spell, item, etc.) you would increase the skill-up speed. It might still work to some extent but I know there has been some changes to the RNG for skill-ups such as noted by Tatanka above. The change was definitely before 2020 when I returned to EQ and was quite noticable on my ranger who had been stuck on her fletching when I left the game in 2004. At that point, it had been more than a year and hundreds of combines since her last skill up. When I started her fletching again this year, I got a flurry of skill ups until I ran out of components and bag space. Tradeskills on my other characters has also been a lot less painful than in the old days.
  9. Agrippa Augur

I'm trying different things on a new character right now. It had seemed as if the player had made a fairly complex macro that had /g 1, /g 1, /g1, etc. all in one line of the macro...however the breaks would happen. Then they were able to switch to several different languages, too, in the same macro. I'm unsure what the command to do that is. Anyhow, I had simply thought that in today's age they had made more complex macroing possible. It surely didn't occur to me that they might have been using anything questionable.

At a *much* slower pace, I'm wondering if lengthy /g lines with several words would be any more efficient than /g 1 would be. It can take several seconds between skill ups any of the ways that I've attempted it.
  10. Shillingworth Augur

This is how I used to do it to teach players many languages at a rate of a language every few seconds. Load up a hotkey with 5 copies of a message that contains at least 1 of every character and with no repeating characters. The one I used recently was: "HDQRS MUZJIK EXPTL FCONV GAWBY". Then put this hotkey on multiple spots on your hot bar that you can press as fast as possible, for me this is 1 2 3 in order to roll my fingers very rapidly.

How it works takes a bit of knowledge about the game. The game does everything on a unit of time called an Uzun (invented by Roger Uzun). There are 12.5 Uzuns per second. When you enter a message, be it by typing and hitting enter or through a hot key, it goes into a buffer. Every Uzun it will process the oldest X amount of messages and no more. You can add as many messages as you can possibly generate per frame to that buffer. It is very easy to stuff the buffer so much that it takes seconds or even minutes to work it's way through the entire buffer. While it's doing so it will be dumping messages into group chat as fast as the game possibly can. You can switch languages via the context menu on a chat box while it's processing messages, so you can stuff that buffer then start cycling through languages to teach your group all languages you know.
    Razorfall, Annastasya and Treiln like this.
  11. Agrippa Augur

@Shillingworth: Thank you! This was what I was exactly what I was looking for!

Edit: I'm sure that I've done something wrong, but made a macro with five /g lines with the gibberish mentioned above. Then I put the macro on my second hotbar in five places. Here's where I may have gone wrong, but I bound all of those five hotkeys to my E key. I used to have sixteen spam abilities tied to my E key, so I assumed the macro would work in the same way. It's not going any quicker than it was with a single macro with five lines of /g 1. Did I do something wrong with the macro? Or will I actually need to assign the hotkeys to separate keys to get them working overtime?
  12. Treiln Augur

So with a spam key like that, it can only operate one command/operation at a time. Like when you have 8 spells, you press it, it fires off the first spell and that spell goes into cooldown/recast, and then you have to press it again to get the next spell to fire off.

Same thing applies with your social /g. You press it once, and it can only fire off one of the 3 macros assigned to it. And nothing goes into the buffer. Now if you assign it to 3 different keys, you can fire off 3 different commands. Mind you this is the same thing had just spamming “E” three times in rapid succession too. Just doing it on keys 1-2-3 feels smoother to some people as compared to smashing the same button over and over
  13. Moege Augur

/language #
    e.g this is Elvish (that is if you know all 25 languages)
    /lang 4

/lang help
    for the list of languages you know
    Gialana and MasterMagnus like this.
  14. Project Mayhem New Member

I'm on FV and there is someone who teaches all languages to the max in about 10 seconds. I believe he uses Auto Hotkey or something similar. I've used him on several characters. The amount of text that flies by and how fast the languages level, Im sure its not just 3 macros he is pushing over and over.
  15. Iven Antonius Bayle

20 seconds per language should be the minimum but it does require a full group and very quick fingers ;). I do not get the point why a long hotbutton phrase like HDQRS MUZJIK EXPTL FCONV GAWBY should be better than just one letter. Just one letter does work good enough and might be even faster as it does use less informations that have to be processed.
  16. Treiln Augur

Someone surmised and tested that the more individual letters you use, the faster the skill up worked. There for 5 lines of actual gibberish, or words, was much better off than a 5 lines of a single letter or a single word.

How much of that is actually true, I dunno. But logically it makes sense. You don't learn a new language by simply counting from 1-10 over and over again ;)
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

What if a character in EQ were to be dyslexic?
    Iven likes this.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It does not require a full group. I have seen this between 2 players
  19. Razorfall Augur

This is super interesting. I need more game facts like this.
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Bernel Augur

I don't think you can use multiple hotkeys like this anymore. Pressing a 2nd hotkey while the 1st is running will just start the 2nd hotkey at the line that the 1st was currently at. It will start the 2nd macro in the middle rather than at the start. I recently opened this thread for this issue:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...tart-at-random-line-rather-than-first.292254/

I don't think there would be any difference between pressing 1 key or multiple keys the way it works now.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.