LDON Expansion This Year Please.... Also Side Rant..

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by khat, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Flatchy Court Jester

If they went back to LDON , that would be the expansion I might just take off. I could spend the year catching my current 4 box set up with achievements. LDON was well BORING. Canloe are you a boxer? I don't recall your name on the forums , then again I am old. I box because I like playing diff characters like say in the old Baldurs Gate where you ran all of them. When I do play its usually with my buddy in England who only plays one character at a time. So its my 4 and him and his healer merc. If we see another friend we will invite them with us. I don't mind dropping an alt especially with campfires there , just in case loot drops I want for an alt. Now If I play one character its pretty boring to be honest.

The biggest PITA to a boxer is autofollow. Its garbage in its current state. I would give every class my blessed SK HT if they would just make every Group leader be able to COTH.
  2. Canloe Nusback Journeyman

I was away for a few years, and I sometimes was boxing. Boxing for sure can become a habit and even being fun, but it is not my favourite playstyle. It is more a dilema.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

1. I did not suggest that was the only reason that people are starting to box, I just listed it as a single reason.

2. That doesn't mean that LDON is some magic bullet that will fix the game as people claim.
  4. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Ok the game was made with grouping in mind. Every mission, task etc required a healer, tank and dps and you made a group to fill up those slots and be successful.

Time goes on and less people are playing but the game still needs the holy trinity to make a good group. As this happens players turn to boxing.

Still more players leave the game and the dev's come up with Mercs.

Now we have the ability to have the holy trinity again in our group with or without boxing.

Personally my boxed alts and mercs are better behaved than most real players as shown by the cantankerous, outrageous, opinionated, augmentative, bull headed and biased posters on these forums who go after other posters just to prove they are better/right whatever. :D
    Bilderov likes this.
  5. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Wait you need holy trinity to beat fungi mission in LS???? I have soloed it in full group gear half of which is from previous expansions so holy trinity is no longer needed for most group stuff. You have not really needed the holy trinity in most expansions and can do the holy duo with 1 player and 1 merc.
  6. Bilderov Augur

I think the biggest point that we can all agree on is that we don't have as many players as we used to, and we're also not as inviting (or forgiving) as a community as we used to be.

Personally, the only real negative responses (players getting angry, logging off, booting me from group) has only ever happened in FFXIV (trying to learn Primal fights) or WoW (not fast enough for speed-runners).

Even with the holy trinity, some of the group content is very tough. I tried 3-boxing (with mercs) on Griklor for ages before I finally managed to do it. That was with higher level characters and better gear than what would have been current at the time.

When I did finally do it, I realised that I'd have to over compensate for every group mission going forward and it just broke my spirit.
    Loup Garou likes this.
  7. Bilderov Augur

I agree that LDON isn't a magic bullet either. We don't need any specific kind of content, we just need enough of the variations to keep the majority of the player-base happy.
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Canloe Nusback Journeyman

As long as mercs are around, the players will continue with boxing and moloing, as those features do not motivate the players to build a party with other players, and mercs are making boxing so much easier.

LDoN 2.0 without mercs would be great, and the demand for players with healer and crowd control classes would be high (again). As long as the healer merc is around, everything is about tank and DPS classes (tank & spank). That merc type did made the game very trivial and comfortable. Boxing cannot and shouldn't be forbidden as the experiences with "true box" TLP servers had showed us, but it would be totally possible to make boxing more challenging again, which could motivate more players to form multiplayer groups instead, if those would be more rewarding and comfortable than other play styles.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

I didn't read all this posts but I wanted to comment because I really liked LDoN. It was one of my favorites.

I liked it because as an ENC, I got to pull and CC. In the modern game, with the vast amount of abilities tanks have, I don't see myself enjoying LDoN. They've pretty much turned us into wizards. Dungeon crawling in EQ now wont be the same as it was in LDoN because the game mechanics have changed. Mobs go nom nom on non-tanks but tanks can handle multiples while discing.

I have a hard time seeing a LDoN reboot being successful. People either loved it or hated it. The people who loved it wont have the same experience and will be disappointed. The people who hated it will still hate it.

Leave LDoN be. Some reboots are just better left undone.

One thing I will say however, is that if the devs ever found extra resources to keep LDoN EXACTLY the same, do not change anything, do not relaunch an expansion, do absolutely nothing, except increase the level scaling so they can be done now for XP, but they are otherwise untouched, then that I can support. Maybe add in the ability to buy gear 2-3 expansions old, so LDoN can be a catchup mechanic to current content, that could be cool. But don't change the gameplay. Don't reboot it. Just scale it.
    Flatchy likes this.
  10. Canloe Nusback Journeyman

Would be nice as a bonus addition to increase a possible LDoN 2.0 expansion size, and for the catch-up mechanics, but not as a single expansion. The graphics and the geometry sizes are outdated, and older players already had played in that content up to hundreds of times.

Remember that 48 instanced zone layouts would have to be populated for many new level tiers. For normal and hard modes each ! Additionally 12 instanced raid zones and Nedaria's Landing. That would end up in a few hundred zone population sets, which could keep a dev busy for many months.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

They could just make it increase mob level and increase HP and DMG by a % per level.

Like I said. My opinion. Don't make it an expansion. Just scale the mobs so it can be played by higher levels.
  12. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Sadly this is a common theme in EQ. Wish they had some sort of a basic system in place in the beginning (or even now?) to ensure anything means lost knowledge and spaghetti code mess.
    Canloe Nusback likes this.
  13. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Nothing in this game would encourage me to group with other players anymore. The group game is dead. Unless your TLP