Fixed Launchpad broken. Cannot enter game today

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Sheebea, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Claan Elder

They changed something between this morning and this afternoon. Logged into beta and live fine this morning but now both are inaccessible by normal means.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  2. niente Developer

This has been explained a couple times but just in case this helps:

Create a file named StartEQ.bat or whatever you like.

Put the following in the file, replace accountName with your account name.
    Code:
    cd "C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest"

start eqgame.exe patchme /login:accountName
    You can also start with just eqgame.exe patchme.

If your EQ install is not in C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest, you'll need to replace that with the correct path as well.

Double click StartEQ.bat and the old login client will start. You can log in without LaunchPad in this way.
    Tyranthraxus likes this.
  3. Nekk Augur

Niente just proved my point, thank you. I was just trying to help, done arguing.
  4. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Thanks Niente!

Any chance this is a temporary setback?
  5. Sheebea Augur

PM me. I'll give you an AD to send $200. I own a Macbook M1 for everything but EQ.
    Fanra likes this.
  6. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I used to do the same, until Win7 was no longer supported by Microsoft, and it became more susceptible to viruses, malware, and other nefarious incursions. But the fact is, there are a lot of people that are still using decades old hardware that can't run on newer versions of windows. This has been true since the early days of EQ. I remember the move to Dx7 and then Dx8. The forums were riddled with the same kind of angst, mostly people complaining about their Appollo program era hardware no longer able to run the game. (That's sarcasm btw.)

My point stands, stop playing on a potato, hardware OR software.
    Fenthen and Tarvas like this.
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

If you're on a Mac, then you're not my kid, whom I already bought a new PC earlier this year, nice try. Maybe stop spending so much on an overrated computer, get your morning coffee at a convenience store rather than the green mermaid for a couple weeks. Do DoorDash or Instacart for a couple weeks. Or mow a damn yard. I don't give to e-beggars any more than I give to the fake beggars on the corner at an intersection.
  8. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

False. It's actually pretty solid. If you're just going to Youtube, the forums and playing EQ you have nothing to worry about. Malware only comes from running shady software and visiting shady sites.

Might be a valid point if EQ was a new game, but you're basically saying "all those computers that ran EQ before modern ones existed are no longer good enough, (even though they literally are)".
    Also, tons of tech experts agree Win 7 is better than 10 and 11, especially for older games. If you have an off the shelf version of 10 or 11, they'll have so much bloatware and telemetry nonsense that you'll LOSE performance on the same PC compared to 7.

And I'm fine. I have a way overpowered new PC I can switch to right now, but I'm still worried that enough people will be unable to play that it will impact the game's income and lifespan.
    Mukkul and CatsPaws like this.
  9. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

What's also been explained a couple times is, if you lose your PW and your Email service closes down so you can't retrieve it, the launcher is the only way to log in. Maybe that's not the intended function, but you did put the feature of saving PWs into the launcher so it's not like I'm asking for a lot here.

Also, you didn't address what the cause is.
  10. Tyranthraxus Grognard

I have a windows 7 sitting next to a windows 10, both run the same gpu and have pretty similar specs, windows 7 outperforms on eq.
    Annastasya and CatsPaws like this.
  11. Sheebea Augur

This helped me-
    Sorry bout UNsubscribing my 12 mo plan earlier. Couple days away from renewing. Better to go 1 month at a for us old people.
  12. niente Developer

The update that broke LaunchPad for Windows 7 is being looked at. LaunchPad is developed by another part of the company (not EQ1 directly).

I just wanted to provide a workaround in the meantime.
  13. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

Can you confirm my suspicions that this cannot be fixed without a manual download of the base game files?
    Because you'd have to run the launcher to fix the launcher...
  14. Monkeychunks Augur

But EQ still supports Win 7 and that's all that is important.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The launcher tried some shenanigans when I logged in today.

Using Win 8 and the patcher would not open. It lagged a bit and then flashed up this error:

Application popup: LaunchPad.exe - System Error : The program can't start because chrome_elf.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

As I stated it flashed and then disappeared and the launcher opened. I went into my computer to grab that exact message.

I did not reinstall or do any other troubleshooting. Posting the error in case it helps them.

But all 6 copies on Win 8 are open now with no further problem
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Will this also work for beta?
    tanith likes this.
  17. Sheebea Augur

Your ignorance is overwhelming. You neither make a decent mind reader nor a psychic. Come back and reply after you become a septuagenarian, on a fixed income. Your alluded that $200 is a trifle amount of money. Not so apparent as you so rudely infer that I am a beggar, and refuse to part with that so easily.
    NONE of your business, but I had over $10K over and above normal expenses this month.
    So invite me to dinner when you 70+ yrs. (if you are lucky to live this long) I'll bring an extra can of cat food, in case you have run low.
  18. Annastasya Augur

it's happening to me on Windows 10
    Yinla and Rondor like this.
  19. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Deleting my reply. It was inflammatory, and I really should have thought about it three times, before posting. Let the other person be the childish one.
  20. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Run Windows Updater, and see if that resolves your issue. Keeping Windows up to date generally prevents issues. Not always, but generally.