Is anyone gonna play tormax?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lamberduim, Apr 14, 2024.

1. fransisco Augur

bet theres gonna be more on tormax than everyone is saying
    Rijacki and Yinla like this.
  2. Sheila Elder

I feel like history isn’t on Tormaxs side. Oakwynd is the most recent example in a line of TLPs where players have taken to the forums to talk about a ruleset that didn’t land and that translated to a poor population. It’s not too late for them to adjust course. Treating Tormax as an overflow for Teek makes sense. Even with no ruleset change and just having a date to merge the servers. There seems to be quite the interest from boxers like myself and would be a good time for them to do a non truebox too.

I get there may be a subset of rerollers that want yet another ‘standard’ tlp. But I’ll be so bold to say that they’ll play tormax or teek long enough for a server to come out anyway if they just reroll every new tlp anyway.
  3. fransisco Augur

Your putting WAY to much stock in whats on the forums, not only is it a small subset of people, but most of the long tlp posts end up being the same 5-8 people over and over again.
    As well, Oakwynd is bad is a common refrain nowadays. Saying it was always bad, no one was there, ect - which isn't true.
    The thing is, the keyboard warriors and those who couldn't train/ks are VERY present on the boards and post over and over again.
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Magneress Augur

I only hear good things about Oakwynd from the ppl actually playing there. Not only that PoK had a big healthy population when I checked in on it last night.
    Rijacki likes this.
  5. Sheila Elder

Well I guess we shall see. There are other indications of tormax not doing well, guild recruit, few people asking about it in general. I think you’ll see a huge month because of queues on Teek, then it’ll not be great.
  6. Sheila Elder

This is an indication of very little. It’s like people that use common lands and general chat. Seen multiple people post about the mass exodus of Oakwynd, which isn’t indicative of starting population issues, granted but paints a different story than logging into PoK :)
  7. Kahna Augur

Every TLP since Mischief has suffered from Mischief's popularity. Every server after Teek will suffer even more. They are just so darn casual and returning player friendly, without ruining the core gameplay that just makes EQ feel like EQ for so many people. Take a break, no big deal, you can be caught up in no time and back to playing with your friends. Regular servers will never have that. Taking a break means leaving forever for a regular server, 9 times out of 10. That will kill those servers every time because breaks are just part of being an adult who plays games.

They found a winning formula and people stick with it for the long haul.
    Cfuson, sadre and Sheila like this.
  8. sadre Augur

Uber You is now included, standard, every new tlp cycle.

Who among us does not like to log on and kill a dragon and get the loot?

"Ya know, I wish I could just pay $200 to go on a raid and kill a boss and get some loot some day, and then I could be UBER, and sneer at noobs like me, cuz that’s what I am.”
    Fluid likes this.
  9. Fluid Augur

The funny thing is, all those hard core classic and uber mode ADHD multibox people's $15/month to DB buys the same amount of groceries for the developers. I don't always like the results in game, but I do wish DB a Merry Xmas. They got to do what they got to do to keep the lights on. If they don't, no more EQ for anybody. Such is life.
  10. Kahna Augur

I would 100% rather support the devs and keep the real game on, but let's not pretend someone wouldn't be working on a Mischief-style private server the second DPG announced it was closing it's doors.
  11. Larsen Augur

The difference is that Oakwynd had a ruleset that some players were actively against. Tormax is just a vanilla server. We saw as recently as Yelinak that there's decent demand for that. It doesn't have to be ultra-high population in order to be a perfectly serviceable server.

And Oakwynd's population wasn't all that bad until the dupes.

As long as there's only one server at a time where you can get the traditional Everquest experience (as much as one can on a TLP), there'll always be enough players there. A subset of the community doesn't want wildly unique rulesets that completely redefine how the game is played. For all the same reasons that P99/TAKP/Quarm have remained healthy and stable for years on end, a vanilla TLP will have enough players to justify its existence, even if it typically winds down towards the end of PoP.
    Rijacki likes this.
  12. Ddezul Augur

no krono=no mischief popularity.

Hear me now, believe me later.
  13. jeskola pheerie

Like you?
  14. jeskola pheerie

Never in the history of dual progression server launches has there been a disparity in guild recruitment greater than Teek vs tormax. Tormax is DOA.
    dwiguslowater likes this.
  15. Cidran Augur

I prefer traditional rulesets so I will play Tormax for sure, however I'm worried that progression servers keep taking longer and longer to be assimilated into live servers. Some innovation regarding the speed of later unlocks would be appreciated.
  16. fransisco Augur

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:
    Yarteb likes this.
  17. Yarteb Elder

You are mistaken. People would enjoy Mischief and Teek (or an Mischief style private server) even without krono. The extra drops and free trade provide an abundance of cheap "leftover" gear for non-raiding players, alts, and others.
  18. Yarteb Elder

Initially at least, I think there will be a fair number of players going to Tormax just to avoid the long queue on Teek. Some have expressed dislike for the expanded loot and free trade but the masses will head for Teek.
  19. jeskola pheerie

Tormax will be a ghost town 2 weeks in
  20. Kahna Augur

I would play on a Mischief server with no krono. (and by that I mean a private server version of mischief that would undoubtedly pop up should DPG ever shutter the game. While DPG still exists I will play on their servers.)