Increase difficulty of mobs - reduce pressure points

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hateseeker, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Blingx Augur

Good point.
    It's true they may only have access to the scripting tools and are unable to make code changes. However, the scripting tools they have are pretty powerful.

Here is a quote from a Dev (Prathun I believe) that has since been deleted(or lost) from the EQ boards but still exists in quote on other forums.
    "That said, we can seed an NPC with items post-spawn using a script, based on any number of criteria. This would not be a change to the behavior of the system, but specific hand-crafted special case instructions. The scripting language has enough tools that we can seed the NPC with a cloth cap if it rains at 3am game time on a Sunday, or if they are hailed by an enchanter in ogre illusion, or if someone with under 50 hit points zones into the zone. This functionality is rarely used. "

I'm sure if it has tools to seed loot it would also have a tool to spawn a mob with different attribute values. Hell, Test server test dummies allow you to change attribute values(dmg, speed, etc) simply using keywords! Maybe not totally different abilities like Rampage, DT, etc, but it does seem likely they would be able to script an increase in mob difficulty(easily) in the way the OP suggested.
    They could set the scripts to replace normal mob spawning on our server only.

Another train of thought, the ability to increase difficulty of /named/ mobs is already in place. Fabled. I'm not sure what level/gear range Fabled are tuned towards, or if they would even need retuning, but it is an option.
  2. Aaramis Augur

Increasing the difficulty of mobs just makes certain aspects of the game nastier. Imagine a PoFear break for level 46-50 characters on Classic EQ with beefed up mobs; or a ToV break when your gear is just barely good enough; etc.

There are a number of various options to improve things for 3.0 without doing this.
    Some thoughts off the top of my head:

- change respawn times on bosses to be random. This will somewhat slow down the perma-slaying of bosses as they could potentially respawn an hour after death, or up to X hours later.
    - add in more banish level ranges such as what Naggy and Vox have, in order to encourage progression instead of endless farming of old-school mobs. If, by PoP, you have various bosses banishing at 52, 56, 61, etc., you're going to have less people having specifically-levelled alts in those level ranges.
    - consider making all boss mob gear tradeable, or even no trade (both have their pros and cons). No trade would lessen the somewhat, although people could just then sell looting rights. Tradeable may just encourage people to farm even more, or it could devalue things so that they're more easily accessible. Not sure which way it would go.
    - adding on to that, having many tradeable items as LORE could also alleviate the issue. You're not going to farm FBSSs all day long if you can only loot one or if you're already wearing one. Again, people would probably sell looting rights though, although dungeons with not-so-easily accessible mobs may alleviate this. Not every level 5 warrior will be keen on a CoF if they somehow have to navigate their way to Naggy's Lair. (note - CoH will nullify this).
    - instancing, as various threads have suggested.
    - triggered raid mobs, such as the epic quest triggers (Venril, Trakanon, etc.). You could add in some mechanism to ensure raid forces don't just stock up on the triggers, and spawn the mob over and over again. Maybe triggered with a timer (i.e. the trigger turn-in NPC disappears for an hour or more. Again, like the epic mob trigger NPCs).

Just some thoughts.
  3. Blingx Augur

Increasing the difficulty would just make it more in line with what it was during classic.
    Why are you comparing classic characters breaking into an enhanced fear with modern characters breaking into an enhanced fear? The reason for needing the enhanced version are because characters were enhanced but mob difficulty stayed the same. Now it's a trivial encounter, though not solely because of character enhancements but a main factor.

There are a number of options for everything. It's not fair to discard others' ideas simply because you don't agree with them. Try to make their idea better rather than simply discounting it and then providing different idea's altogether. If you have a solution that is different then make a thread for discussion about it.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  4. Aaramis Augur

Because they're really not all that modern. They're not running around in full Defiant breaking into Fear. They're going to have either their starting newbie quested armour, or the level 30ish stuff (i.e. Crafted, Ivy Etched, etc.). Either way, they're not uber by any means.

What will make a difference I'd wager is the hordes of super Mages and Monks, but that's not fair to tune things to them when the next group may not have any of those classes.

Why? You just discarded mine :p
    Sorry I don't like your idea, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Not everyone is going to agree with you. There's no need for a different thread about it - then we'd have 105391375013795 threads when everyone and their grandmother posts their ideas.

It makes much more sense to post additional ideas here, and together work towards something that we can all agree upon.
  5. Blingx Augur

All classes have received skill cap raises since Classic, more double/triple attacks, easier to hit mobs that are red to you, more mitigation against them, less spell resists, etc. Newbie quested armor, while not overpowered for the era is still more than Classic characters would go into Fear with.
    The point is, raids aren't meant to be trivial in era. That's why they required an entire guild to complete. You can do most raids(all?: In classic) with a single well played group now.

It's not my idea. I was simply adding my thoughts to the OPs idea. Simple forum etiquette, keep threads on topic and the topic is about increasing mob difficulty. You can express that you don't like it and your reasons and even examples as long as you stay on topic there's nothing wrong with that.

*Edit: I'm not disregarding your idea's, at least one of them I have actively supported previously. It would just be bad form to discuss your ideas in this particular thread. /Edit*
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  6. Ootax Augur

All the raid mobs are already a piece of cake for any guild. They need to be increased in dmg and hp just to make it somewhat of a challenge which I'm sure any raid would welcome. It's all due to what has been said dmg/mitigation of players has increased over time making the raid targets trivial.