Importance of Charisma?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dafroo, May 5, 2015.

1. Beimeith Lord of the Game

A few people did. I made one. The problem is even with a calculator it's pretty complicated to use since there are so many variables.
  2. snailish Augur

Very happy to see a dev response in a charisma thread...

This thread is kind of a funny one to be necroed and answered versus some of the more recent options:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...arm-after-19-years.248163/page-4#post-3647199 which the following is snipped from (pointing out other recentish charisma related threads.

3. Ronzark Augur

Can you please tell me what SPA 3, 20, 22, 31, 34, 63 and 99 are? Are they different charm effects?
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Machen, snailish and Sumonerr_Tunare like this.
  5. TLP Addict Augur

I've always been of the choose your target wisely crowd.

Lvl difference and Magic resist both > Cha. Getting tash and malo on does far more than any stat imo.

Also having some AC, Hitpoints and max defense help a lot as well. Not giving your healer a heart attack every time it breaks is probably of greater benefit than slightly less charm breaks.
  6. Brolie Lorekeeper

Is the want for low cha to increase fear chance a thing or was it ever? I remember back in the day necros trying to lower their charisma to make it more effective.
  7. fastboy21 Augur

Here are the issues on progression with folks understanding charm:
    1. Toons, even naked, are way OP compared to most of the old group content. A naked enchanter with only their base stats, if the player knows how to play, would be able to charm and recharm just fine. In fact, I've grped with enchanters in cloth gear for hours before realizing how under geared they are. You do, however, notice a player who is semi-afk or just stupid right away.
    2. Break rates are not the most important variable in an enchanter's success. If you are going to charm mobs to DPS in a grind group, regardless of how long your average charm lasts, you're going to need to react and recharm the mob often (whether its once ever 6 min or once every 8 minutes on average). When that happens how the player reacts is more important by far than the charisma stat. How the player budgets their mana (timing buffs, etc.) in order to make sure that they can buff, CC, and recharm as needed matters much more than charisma.
    3. Its true that in a min/max group where the players are pushing themselves to edge of their characters abilities to get the most exp/hour that the stats will matter more. Most people aren't playing like this.
    The result is that, at least on coirnav, while charisma matters (a little) it is dorfed not only by other variables (like mr, level difference) but by the player's ability at the keyboard. In other words, even though it matters the chasm is wide enough that I'd take a naked enchanter who knows how to play over a geared 200+ charisma enchanter in a heart beat --- in fact, not even close.
  8. Ronzark Augur

Or, from another point of view, the enchanter (who meets your standards of not being a donk nor being afk) who has sufficient CHA will have less breaks at bad times, because he will have less breaks overall. Therefore, less danger. Therefore, less death. Therefore, faster exp and frankly will have more fun, because no one likes corpse runs.

Biggest lesson IMO? Always keep your CHA buff on when you're charming, unless you're over 200 CHA.
  9. Ronzark Augur

Thanks Bobby, you're the best!
  10. fastboy21 Augur

Yes, which is why I said in a very high end grp where folks are really pushing themselves it matters.

In most PUGs/exp grps it's rarely an issue. A good enchanter is always ready for his charm break whether its been 10 seconds or 10 minutes...a bad enchanter is never ready. The biggest factor BY FAR isn't how often the break happens, but how good (non afk, non idiot, etc.) your chanter is.
  11. Ronzark Augur

Yes, but you fail to acknowledge that it matters all of the time, depending on your view of what "matters".

As you grow, you will find most things in life are subject to the point of view of the viewer. Yours is not the only opinion that matters. And make no mistake, we are talking opinion here... none of this is fact. Your opinion is certainly valid, but just like mine, it's still just an opinion.

And you are correct, by far the factor that matters most is how often charm breaks... which DOES depend on CHA (even if by a small amount, it still depends on it). If high CHA = less charm breaks... then you're hampering yourself for not adding CHA when you can (NOT making it a priority) to your gear/stats.

Again though, you are comparing "good" enchanters vs. "bad" ones. This is a false analogy, because what I'm talking about helps BOTH of them to maintain charm longer, regardless of talent level. So, there is no distinction between talented and non-talented chanters, both need charisma to be more effective.
  12. Scrax Elder

SPA 3 = movement rate, ie snare.

Snare does not have a 5% chance of breaking every tick. Snare never breaks early, that's why it's so good.

This tells me that this dev is giving outdated information before the stat and SPA rework.
  13. Febb Augur

Probably a typo. He most likely meant SPA 31.
  14. Darchon_Xegony Augur

On PCs snares can regularly end early.

On NPCs you’re correct snares don’t randomly end early.
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

Id rather my enc hand his pets negative mr items than throw up a near worthless cha buff. As it is, charmed to 60 with 75 charisma and but used the right items and it was easy mode.
  16. DaciksBB Augur

34 might be the monk Echo line and the rogue Smoke Bomb line actually
  17. doah Augur

I had charisma at 130ish all of classic -> luclin and focused on focus effects and INT as an enchanter and I never had any issues with any spells. Unless
  18. Scrax Elder

SPA 31 is enthrall, it also does not randomly end 5% early. This dev is just giving very outdated info.
  19. Ronzark Augur

He's giving you outdated info because this dead horse has been beaten to death over the past 20 years and I personally find it incredible that devs have to keep coming back over and over and over and over and telling people the exact same thing they said 20 years ago.

All the rumors about CHA have been started by players. ALL of them. And it's just as fake as fake news. I have an officer in my guild who insists that the devs lie and CHA doesn't have any impact at all, and he got MAD when people tried to tell him the truth... THAT is how bad the lies about this have spread, he really believes the devs lie when they describe the reality about WHAT THEY PROGRAMMED.

Amazing the amount of cognitive dissonance this subject triggers in people.
  20. Febb Augur

I don't think charisma is all that important. I mean you can be anti social and not have much charisma and still do just fine in life.