I Want to Play EQ In Its Entirety

Discussion in 'Guild Recruitment' started by drew0987654, Jun 29, 2014.

1. drew0987654 Augur

...so I'll be deleting my char and starting over on Trakanon with a brand new guild and I need others to join me. the rules for this guild will be:

1) no mercs
    2) no free aa's
    3) no free lvl 85 chars
    4) no defiant gear or gear gifted through the completion of an achievement
    5) no fast travel (PoK is allowed but must be exited the same way it was entered)
    6) non-guildmembers can't be partied with.
    7) no hacking
    8) no bots
    9) no boxing
    10) "double xp" etc days translate to "vacation from eq today"
    11) strict death penalty: you must log out upon death w/o res and can't play again on that char for 24 hours, and post of your failure as punishment in a thread that I'll later create specifically for this purpose.

I recently quit this game b/c the first 16 games in this series have been trivialized. they can be skipped in a second as though they were just a tutorial... even if you don't opt to skip them, you can get to 85 easily anyway with the insane stat-capping gear and mercs that they've recently added.

the purpose of this new guild I'll be starting next week, "Death or Glory," is to give meaning back to those games and I plan to go through each one in sequential order if I can find others who'd like to join me. if anyone has better ideas for a death penalty or any other rules they'd like to request, I'm all ears, especially if there are any shortcuts that I forgot to exclude like any other special gear. I don't really expect any of you to drop your chars and start fresh on trakanon, lol, (especially on this site) but if anyone happens to be rerolling anyway or is on the verge of quitting b/c of the recent trivialization of past games, please join me.
  2. Edrick Augur

Have fun. Well, try to at least.
  3. Tarrin Augur

For someone that wants to play the game in its entirety..there are sure a lot of parts of the game that are not allowed.
  4. Wayylon Augur

Death penalty: just bag all your gear until you get back to the spot you died.
  5. drew0987654 Augur

yeah, the parts that disallow any semblance of the experience of the first 16 games in this series. the parts that were created with disregard for their effects on the original game, in the context of a character with a higher level than was even allowed in the original game. shortcuts are removed, shortcuts that SKIP/trivialize most of the game like the warp zones in mario.
  6. drew0987654 Augur

I don't care if you were being sarcastic, this idea is awesome and thank you anyway.
    Obiziana and Wayylon like this.
  7. Tarrin Augur

So just call it what it is. "I want to experience low level Everquest in a hardcore mode atmosphere"..not "entirety" :p
  8. Wayylon Augur

Nope, no sarcasm on that post.

I'd be down for classic to luclin, no defiant (gonna have to pass on all the other penalties), those were the real glory days imo.
  9. Yther Augur

Let's put it this way. The OP sounds like that is what you wanted, so I'm not surprised you get those type of responses. You'd get a few of them any way, since the majority of people don't want to play that way, without a special rules server in place to start with. Also, why I suggested the Guild Recruitment forum; People are less hostile there to out of the mainstream ideas. There is more 'like-minded' people that peruse that forum than this one.

Yther Ore.
    Geroblue likes this.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Except you can't, because the core systems are not remotely similar to what they were 15 years ago:

XP gains are massively inflated vs original. (Killing a level 1 orc pawn will give a -ton more xp today than it did 15 years ago).
    Defenses are massively inflated vs original. (@Level 1 a level 3 mob would facerape you 15 years ago but barely tickles you today).
    Spells. (The spell system is radically different than it was 15 years ago).
    Endurance. (Didn't exist 15 years ago).
    Maps. (Not on your list, and GL preventing people from loading them).
    Modern UIs. (Not on your list, and GL preventing people from loading a decent UI).
    OOC. (Didn't exist then, and GL preventing people from sitting).
    Etc.

This is what made Al'Kabor special and why the progression servers will never be period-correct without a massive time investment that won't ever happen.

You can't go back.
  11. Koutarou Elder

You forgot "must tape a blinder across your screen while meditating".

And how are you planning on disabling OOC regen?
    Chikkin and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  12. drew0987654 Augur

I won't complain if a mod moves it, it probably belongs there anyway. I'm willing to compromise if ppl are interested in an eq that isn't trivialized but also need some of these things in place to play. all I originally wanted was no free aa's b/c it made it impossible to party with anyone who didn't make the game too easy to be fun, and since the game is no fun by myself I had to quit....

when I looked for others with the same problem though, they all had problems of their own that made them quit a long time ago and upon listening to their arguments, I thought that if I wanted any luck with this thing I would need to cater to the masses who've already left this game. basically the crowd that doesn't want this game to be soloable since the addition of mercs and defiant gear mostly. sadly a lot of those ppl also happen to have a problem with "expansion X" though and aren't willing to play on Live anyway....:( it sucks to read about the feeling this game gave "when travel meant something," or "when you were terrified of dying," etc, and know you'll never get to play that game with anyone. how is it that the closest official thing to that is this thing that spoon-feeds, coddles, and carries you? I wish I had been around "back in the day."

if anyone's interested at all even with some sort of variation, I'd like to hear you out. the more demand SoE sees for a possible no-hand-holding server, the better.
  13. drew0987654 Augur

I never played back then and I'm not looking for a perfect simulator of the old experience, all I'm asking for is that the first 15 games aren't trivialized to the point of being skipped entirely (oh and to whoever said I was calling them games instead of expansions, well... expansions are games, I would argue that "expansion" is a subcategory of "game"). well maybe a little more than that, I also don't want them trivialized to the point where if you opt not to skip them they're incredibly easy given what SoE bestows you with so cheaply. I do also wish that the leveling was slower as I said in another thread but this would just be icing on the cake, I don't necessarily need it, I'd just like it....

it doesn't have to be perfect, as I said I'm only asking for the content to not be skipped, but I can see how needing a cleric in your group would be good for the community and I do wish I could play without the ooc regen for this reason alone. on the other hand though the ooc regen is probably reasonable enough. besides the free aa's though, with the few extra things I want but don't necessarily need, you would basically need at least 1 other person to get anything accomplished and it would bring back that feeling of interdependence that so many ppl speak of when they talk about what they loved about eq. if I'm asking for too much as you seem to imply, then fix it to your liking or to an extent that you believe wouldn't be too extreme. if you think the seeming greater enormity of the world without PoK isn't worth the sacrifice of PoK's convenience or believe that ppl simply just won't do it, for example, just say so....
  14. Fendy Augur

Original EQ didn't have them so I'd say don't use maps or mounts as well.
  15. Tobynn Augur

I suspect the OP never "partied" with anyone during first 16 "games", or even played at all for that matter. Wants to go back to how things used to be, but has no first hand experience with how they used to be.
  16. Hayzeus Augur

I think that PoK and Guild Lobby (and all housing) should be outlawed. It was too convenient, and was only introduced in HoT(?)

All bartering must be down in West Commons Tunnel or Gfay. Hah, it would be neat to see people using /auction channels again.
  17. Yther Augur

No linking of items either. And GL was Dragons of Norrath, while PoK was Planes of Power.
  18. Wayylon Augur

The main reason I say classic to luclin is that you end up having end game content ALLLLL over the place, and gear that lasts for a long time...Also the items back then were so much more unique, different meaningful procs on the weapons...I'm not a fan of the spreadsheet gear we get now, a tank can equip caster non vis and still be fine and vice versa.
  19. Hayzeus Augur

You're misconstruing the opportunity presented by their posts Drew. Yes, perhaps their only goal is to poke holes in your idea, but that's a golden opportunity to resolve the questions asked by those poked holes. Chances are, the holes are real. Don't get upset about them. Plug them (the holes, not the posters). So, if your revision 1 idea isn't bullet proof. No big deal. Just work with the discrepancies pointed out by fixing them. I hear you asking for only constructive posts, but you fail to see that negative criticism can readily be constructive if it helps version 2 of your idea to be better.

You said it yourself... you expected the types of responses you got, and you were right to expect them. Your negative reaction is out of line though. You need to embrace it instead, and use it to make your idea better.

Lashing out at them the way you have is far less constructive than their criticism. In fact, the lashing out is going to make people that are interested shy away because you're knee jerk name calling is a bad sign in a guild leader. The idea itself can have all the merits in the world, but if you fly off the handle like you have so far in the face of some adversity... the guild itself will never work properly.

It's like a rabid dog in your back yard. You may love that dog, but if you never ever know when it's going to bite you... you're not likely to pet it or embrace it.

Quest is right. Some of the posters are interested more than you give them credit for, and you are attacking some of them. Some of the posters are trolls, but they're pointing out legitimate discrepancies. Ignore the troll part, and address the discrepancy. Your guild idea will be FAR better off for it.

I like your idea, but I would never join your guild because of your apparent tendency to fly off the handle at any provocation. That doesn't make me a troll. It just tells me I have to like all of your ideas, or I risk making you upset.

PS: Quest is also right - you should sleep on it, and then come back to this thread to see what great ideas have accumulated. Discard the chaff. Keep the wheat.
    Elricvonclief, Quatr, JacklSK and 2 others like this.
  20. Lily Augur

Why disallow only free AAs, when there were no AAs in the original game?
    No Nexus either.
    No buffs above your level.
    No potions.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.