I hate reCaptcha

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nennius, May 2, 2024.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

It just spins and spins in Firefox. I had to hold my nose and download Chrome to be able to post. Anyone else having issues?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Thanks. DownDetector also shows LOTS of issues with reCaptcha today. Perhaps it will resolve itself.
  4. Ghost Of Fippy Augur

Firefox developers are working on the reCAPTCHA issue. They are saying it has something to do with changes on Googles end effecting Firefox.

Who really knows, I was able to login using MS Edge instead, and I did more than just hold my nose.
    Fanra and Nennius like this.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

Now I want to make a toon and name it reCaptcha....
    Metanis, Nennius and Sissruukk like this.
  6. Exmortis_MT Augur

Be nice if EQ would add support for MS/Google authenticator, and just remove it.
  7. Exmortis_MT Augur

Opps double post I was not thinking and paid attention to the error message on posting.
  8. Sissruukk Rogue One

Good ol' reCaptcha.
    reCaptcah: select all the tiles showing a motorcycle (only one motorcycle in the image)
    Me: Does this tile with only the end of the handle count?
    Jack, Nennius, Fenthen and 1 other person like this.
  9. minimind The Village Idiot

10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Problem seems to come and go.
  11. fransisco Augur

captchas in general are worthless. Bots have a higher success rate than people do on them.
    Sissruukk, Metanis and Nennius like this.
  12. Metanis Bad Company

Skynet smiles.
    Sissruukk and fransisco like this.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

There is still hope for new and better forums, that are also better structured: Stickies, guides, more subforums, dislike button, private messages instead of conversations, etc. The captchas are pretty pointless. It got mentioned that something is in the pipe, but it might never be released. It could end up that we all do wish the current forums back.
    Nennius likes this.
  14. fransisco Augur

Dislike button is always a bad idea. It makes people not want to participate, because it turns every post into a popularity thing. It can only decrease participation.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

And I would still like to dislike some of my own posts.
    Flatchy, Yinla and fransisco like this.
  16. JetZeppelin2h Augur

They already have the proper dislike button. The proper dislike button is called reply, you can use this button to reply to a post you disagree with and it even gives you this box to type in your reason for disliking it. This is so much better than just clicking dislike since you are required to put a reason for why you dislike it. This leads to more discussion on the topic.

The like button is fine because generally you don't need to say why you like a post although you can use reply for a post you like and make a comment but when you dislike something it really needs a reason since noone knows why you dislike it.
  17. Iven the Lunatic

Your arguments for and against like/dislike buttons are interchangeable. It could be as interesting to know why people do like posts, just as their dislike comments. A dislike button would prevent many troll, rant, and flame posts, which I assume, would be in Daybreak's interest. People who want to discuss and post comments would still do, as like/dislike buttons do not supress that. They can only reduce their amount a little bit.