reCaptcha fails in firefox

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Svann2, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

IDK if its the forum or just me but starting this afternoon Ive been unable to log in using firefox. When I click the box in recaptcha the "Im not a robot" blue circle just spins and spins. Works fine in edge and chrome though. Ive tried clearing cache for the site but that didnt help. Adblocking is turned off for the site. Anyone else having an issue, or advice on how to fix?
    edit: opened in troubleshooting mode and it still did it.
    edit2: nm the problem finally fixed itself overnight
    Fanra, fakenames, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  2. GNOME_POWER Augur

I mainly use firefox and have no problems.
    minimind and Nennius like this.
  3. Gialana Augur

The same happened with me this morning with Firefox on 2 computers with Private Browsing. I then switched to normal browsing, and the Captcha loaded. Without closing the Captcha or browser, I started another Private Browsing, and Captcha loaded this time. On the second computer, I haven't tried in a non-private browsing session, and the Captcha still won't load.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Noticed Captcha getting worse over the last few months, pictures are blured and pixleated, also very slow to update pictures when they want you to select from another batch.
  5. fransisco Augur

never had a problem in firefox. Are you using a mobile version or a mac version? Or the normal one? Cause they are all different.
  6. Quicksand New Member

I use firefox and have not had a problem with captcha here on the eq forums.

However, last week for a day or two, firefox was having issues. When I would close out of it, no matter what site I was on, it would pop up a message that it crashed and to send in a report.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I've not had a problem with Firefox until just now. After checking the I'm not a robot", the hourglass circle is spinning and not actually moving on to log me in or even show the reCAPTCHA.

I'm using Edge to write this.

I wish they would move beyond CAPTCHA to Cloudflare's Turnstile replacement..
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Firefox is acting funky on many sites for me. I use Opera as a second browser and it is not having any problem so I would assume its a Firefox issue.
    Gialana likes this.
  9. Gialana Augur

Yeah, it happened to me again this morning with Firefox. Opening a non-private browser did not fix the problem for me like it did yesterday, either. I'm using Chrome now. Eww.
  10. Bernel Augur

This is probably reCAPTCHA's problem, but it seems more noticeable here because the EQ and DB sites ask you to re-login so often. On other websites I only have to redo reCAPTCHAs after I clear cookies or log out, but here I have to relogin every time the network changes and every day on mobile platforms. If you're doing the CAPTCHA every day on the EQ site, you're going to find more issues than if you were on a site where you only had to log in once every few months.

Sometimes reCAPTCHA has me do 10+ CAPTCHAs in a row. I'm becoming an expert at finding crosswalks, hydrants, bicycles, stairs, motorcycles, busses and bridges. I have no clue why sometimes it lets me in right away and sometimes it makes me do endless CAPTCHAs.
    Nennius and Yinla like this.
  11. fakenames Journeyman

i had to log in with edge to do this post the one i made yesterday worked in firefox though. i also cant log in to petition with fire fox i always have to use edge.
  12. GNOME_POWER Augur

Looks like I need to retract my previous post. This is the first time I'm having trouble with reCaptcha on FireFox, and I'm posting in Edge.
    Very strange indeed.
  13. EQJoe New Member

It's failing in firefox for me as well. Looking in the developer console there's a stack trace error with message: "Error in protected function: oB is not a function", cause: TypeError, Y: true
  14. GNOME_POWER Augur

The fix at Google has made it work again.
    Fanra and Nennius like this.
  15. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's fixed now. It was a problem with an update to the recaptcha js, they've rolled out a fix. (It wasn't a Daybreak problem)
  16. fransisco Augur

Big problem with lazy development is that cross browser compatability testing has fallen on the wayside. Which is silly because alot of dev works better on firefox now than chrome. It has such crazy aggressive caching and other things that web dev on firefox is easier. But people are stuck in their ways, thinking google/chrome is still a good company that improves its products instead instead of encrapification
    Nennius likes this.