I can has double exp holiday weekend?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lilura, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Lilura Augur

Well Daybreak? We all got alts to feed.
  2. Riou EQResource

There may or may not be one coming up this upcoming weekend :) from sep5-7.
    Elricvonclief and Iila like this.
  3. Numiko Augur

it was even mentioned in the test update....
    Iila likes this.
  4. YellowBelly Augur

Is there a reason people have been writing forum titles like special need kids lately?
  5. Khat_Nip Meow

It's no worse than very terse titles that give no indication as to what the subject is even about.
    Nolrog and Silv like this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

It also could be someone who isn't fluent in english. Or maybe, a refugee from the TLP servers.
    Mintalie, Geroblue and Silv like this.
  7. Rykard Augur

Be nice!

Can I have a double experience holiday weekend, please?

Fixed it with a little politeness added in.

Rykard
  8. Lilura Augur

So I guess some people have no clue about LOLcat humor?

Guess so.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Battleaxe Augur

"Can" denotes ability as in "Can I swim?". I don't know, can you?
    "May" refers to permission as in "May I have a double experience holiday weekend, please?".

Fixed it and without ending a sentence with a preposition. Yw..

I would note that the various forms of this question have not been answered... thus far. This could get ugly - just sayin'.

PS
    #LRN2STRUNK kplsthnx~
    Rykard and Motherlee like this.
  10. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

They already put the alert in on Test.
    Motherlee likes this.
  11. Rykard Augur

Good point. I tried to rearrange the original topic as little as possible.

But.....

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/can

Can and may are most frequently interchangeable in senses denoting possibility; because the possibility of one's doing something may depend on another's acquiescence, they have also become interchangeable in the sense denoting permission. The use of can to ask or grant permission has been common since the 19th century and is well established, although some commentators feel may is more appropriate in formal contexts. May is relatively rare in negative constructions (mayn't is not common); cannot and can't are usual in such contexts.

Depends on your view of can or may.

Rykard
    PrathunEQ likes this.
  12. Battleaxe Augur

Certainly in a context where one individual is chiding another for writing in the vernacular it is more appropriate to suggest improvements using formal speech rather than common.

But, since the crises under discussion appears to be averted, and to preserve the comity of this forum, I propose that we all use the words and construction that we prefer.

#UDOU/UMADOME
  13. Rykard Augur

Battleaxe,

Can May I have a double experience holiday weekend, please?

I prefer "may" as well as it seems more polite and less like slang.

Rykard
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I haz cheezburgers
    Silv likes this.
  15. YellowBelly Augur

There are millions of Internet users around the world. We can't all check knowyourmeme.com every day. Whatever this meme is just makes a poster look slow. No offense.
  16. Blankslate Elder

What the hell is a meme anyway?
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL Cats have been around for many years which is why I suspect the other post was surprised you were not familiar with them. They get mentioned in tv shows, talk shows etc... pretty much a regular part of pop culture these days.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/lolcats

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/lolcats/photos

Just so you too can be in the know :)
  18. Zarakii Augur

this is going to be my theme song to go off in gina when i hit my burns on raids..........
  19. Reval Augur

Maybe I've been in tlp forums a bit too long, but you know what would make this weekend really great? If it was a half exp weekend. That's twice as long that we would all get to enjoy levelling with all of our friends.

Also, maybe there could be a gun that works in game using chronos as bullets for billions of damage a hit on live servers. That way, if guilds don't have enough mages, all they would have to do is pull the ... chrono trigger (applause).
    PrathunEQ and Silv like this.
  20. Borek-VS Augur

Go ask Richard Dawkins, he would know.