How to log into test server?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Blud, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Blud New Member

Noob here (I played EQ the first couple of years after it came out - what was that, like 1999? Maxed out a few characters and left - so noob again). I found one of my old account log ins, but I was hoping to start a new character on a test server, but I don't see it on the log in screen.
  2. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

On the launchpad click the gear icon on the bottom left above the blue bar. Click on Test then patch and it will load up the server select for Test.
    Most of us on Test make a copy of our EQ folder so we can use one for Live and one for Test. Just put shortcuts on the desktop for the launchpad or whatever method you use to log in from each folder.
  3. Blud New Member

Thanks! What is the purpose of the separate folders, if I may respectfully ask?
  4. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

To avoid having to patch when going back and forth. It also makes it easier if you need to be on Live while also on Test and there are other benefits like separate UI files etc. I box all toons out of one folder either for Test or for Live. Some folks do one folder per box but that would take up a lot of space eventually.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Also if live is down then you can still get on test if you have separate folder and vise versa
  6. Havanap Elder

Three reasons
    - if you want to make live server- or test server-specific customization to your UI, spells, etc
    - if you need to be able to play in both environments at the same time
    - if you don't want to be reliant on the Patch Server to switch from one environment to the other
  7. Blud New Member

Got it - thanks! Made a toon for the Test yesterday, interesting - feels like I got in a time machine.
  8. Krushor Journeyman

When the servers are locked for maintenance there is a screen that blocks the ability to get to that gear icon. How can we get around that when there is a maintenance window?
  9. Fuldarin New Member

I'd like to know that as well. Usually during maintenance the launchpad comes up and I can click on that gear to change to the test server. This time, there is a notification message that prevents the launchpad from being displayed. Is there a command line option to launch to the test server?
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.