How much data does EQ use?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Eyashusa Lorekeeper

As Tucoh pointed out it will depend on what you are doing and how your filters are setup. On a raid night with filters set to capture everything, I can generate a 200 MB log file. If you are not raiding, I highly doubt you will have an issue with data usage, but I still suggest you turn off all the spam that is not important to your style of game play.

Eya
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Filtering things from your UI does nothing to prevent your game client from receiving them. The game client MUST get this data in order to tell the engine what to render, what's happening around you in the game world, etc. Filtering has no impact on EverQuest's data usage. In fact, there are no user-adjustable settings that will impact this data usage. Where you hunt, how populated the zone is, how many fights you are near or in do impact the data usage.

Update on my data usage: the number of game clients I am running is now up to six. In the month of December, including raids and the ToV update, I used 4.5GB of data over 117 hours played/afk.
  3. Diptera Augur

Don't know if that's strictly true - EQ *did* add server side filtering in the past, specifically to stop (some) data being sent to the client in the first place:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...rverfilter-if-it-still-does-something.203272/

No idea if it is still functional, though =/
  4. Tucoh Augur

How do you know this is true?

If I turn off bard songs (for example) and have server filtering on, does it still send bard song messages over the network to my client?

I've got my boxes set up to receive minimal information, but I never tested it to verify it reduces network utilization.

I also wonder if hide AFK pets reduced the network utilization too.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Deduction. If you filter bard songs on a character, then group with a bard, you still get the benefits. Thus, the game engine is receiving the data.
  6. Diptera Augur

Sure, because it affects *you* - if you turn off "others hits" messages, it makes no difference at all if you don't know that Warrior_01 hit the mob for 200hp on a Bash, though...

As I mentioned above, server-side filtering definitely WAS in the game at one point, just not sure if the setting is still honoured today =/
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It's sort of a moot point today anyway. EQ is so bandwidth-efficient compared to modern games it's silly. I downloaded a whole expansion for less bandwidth than I use to watch one episode of The Mandalorian.