How much data does EQ use?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Cicelee Augur

Curious-

You play EQ for a 4 hour night. How much internet data do you use up? As in, if you have a 6 gig data plan with xyz company... how much of that 6 gig has EQ used up in that 4 hour night?

Also, does what you do affect how much data is being used? Does playing non stop for a 4 hour XP potion use more data than standing AFK in a guild hall for 4 hours?

Again, just curious. I am 99.99% confident I have unlimited data with my cable internet plan (as opposed to my phone plan, which does have a limit) and I use EQ with cable internet. But I wonder if others know the actual facts...
  2. Riou EQResource

AFK uses less data then actual playing, yea

Last I saw EQ uses super low data, like you could still pretty much play on 56k dial up

I don't know how much data it uses while fully playing, but AFK uses like 1 kb/s, so if you were AFK for 4 hours you should use something like 15mb of data
  3. Raytan Augur

I don't know exact numbers, but here is a link to a forum thread from a couple years ago...

http://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/playing-on-a-mobile-hotspot-data-plan.230440/

They were discussing the data usage and using mobile hotspots while traveling. Not sure if that is what you were looking for.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I take that what you actually mean is "bandwidth".
    If so, EQ is very efficient on that. How much you actually use depends a bit on your (serverside) filtering too. Of course you create more packets when you actually do stuff - use discs and such - than if you idle around.
    The base is VERY low and while i do not have any current number, it used to be around 25M (down) per (active) character per 24hrs several years ago when i actually monitored that to any meaningful degree.
    These days, with unlimited traffic and upwards of 50Mbits bandwidth in most places, what EQ uses is - in the grander scheme of things - neglectible.

Even though it gives only a total for the whole system, including surfing the web etc, you can check yourself by looking at your internet connection in control panel. Get your own number by limiting yourself to EQ and system only for some time and average that.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

EQ doesn't use a whole lot of bandwidth other than patching.
    But it's sensitive to latency. A satellite connection is bad for it, which may be perfectly ok for movies.
  7. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

What? Bandwidth clearly refers to the "width" (the maximum size, in bits or bytes, of the gateway between 2 devices) of the "band" (the digital signal itself). In other words, how much data can flow through at any one given time. I'm sure you knew that. But the OP asked:

They want to know how much of their limited data plan EQ actually consumes. No idea! Sorry!
  8. Bigstomp Augur

Wasn't sure they actually had limited plans any more. Every plan I've seen lately has been unlimited with some cap before they say they'll throttle you. The only question has been at what point you get throttled.
  9. Zhaunil_AB Augur

And i've given what info i have on that too, thanks for reading before posting.

Oh, and before you post like the above, go and educate yourself.
    If i know how much bandwidth an app uses, it's a simple thing of 5th grade math to determine exactly what they wanted to know. And if you are done making a fool of yourself, you might even see that i've told them to find it out for themselves, since the actual figure varies not only by activity but also by other factors that depend on the individual use.
    The best one can expect from others by such a post here is an approximation - that's the nature of the thing.
  10. Havanap Elder

Nennius and Cicelee like this.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

In the last 30 days my EQ game has used 1.95GB playing around 80 total hours for the month.
    Cicelee likes this.
  12. xxGriff Augur

How many clients?
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Oh, right. 5 game clients.
  14. Cicelee Augur

Thank you so much for the info. Basically 400 mb of data used for a month per client/account for playing 2-3 hours a day.

The primary reason is that my wife and I have a 6 gig plan with phone company that we use maybe 2-4 gig a month if that. We also have cable internet. I was thinking about maybe getting rid fully of cable internet and going straight phone and saving some money that way. Even bump the plan to 8 gig if need be. Knowing this info helps me to make a potential better decision...
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You're welcome!
  16. IblisTheMage Augur

Busted :p you now play EQ as a half time job...
  17. Baeltor New Member

My wife and I use mobile hotspots, and we don't use a gig each each month. I know not what exactly asked, but if you don't box then a gig is amble.
  18. Tucoh Augur

Data usage will vary on what you're doing too. If you're a level 1 fighting fippy in Qeynos with no other players around, you'll be getting very small amounts of data. If you're raiding with 53 other people who are each spamming their 20 different abilities with a dozen procs and autoattacks, it's going to be substantially different. I don't know how much data it actually is though. You can monitor network utilization in the task manager and a variety of other tools.
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

I used the app., but it just laughed at me and called me a "Filthy Casual" for playing less than a 50 hours a month. I am sad now.
  20. SunDrake Augur

Odd way to necro a nearly two year old post.