How do you wizard?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Elemental, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Elemental Augur

Question just started a new wizard, just wondering how does everyone dps on a wizard?
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  2. Szilent Augur

3. Elemental Augur

Now buddy I watch your videos and steal your raid strats and you don't even follow the order recommended in the above formentioned post. Common now spill the guts
  4. Elemental Augur

Nevermind you aren't kizant lol you are the lonely warrior who trolls everyone's posts on the forums get out of this thread
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

How'd you figure it out? You see, 6 years ago he spent all that time putting together that guide. Then, he waited. And waited. And waited some more. And then, FINALLY! Finally you posted an incredibly vague question "how does everyone dps on a wizard?" No idea what level you are. No idea if you're grouping, soloing, raiding. No idea of any details at all. But this was his opportunity! He posted a link to this guide he wrote 6 years ago, and BOOM! GET TROLLED NOOB! He got you so good!
  6. Kazint Augur

Szilent's post still has useful stuff but don't bother with dicho at this point. Maybe next version will be worth it.

This thread has some damage/spell breakdowns worth looking at:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/wizard-tov-raids.262619/

Drogba has a good description of AEs that is still valid:
    http://forums.eqfreelance.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=1c1629ceb28ed51000293f2a7ccda3c5&topic=16645.0

Sancus has the only updated guide that I know of but you probably want to read through threads on here too.
    RPoo likes this.
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Playing a wizard isn't easy mode like a lot of people say. You're managing hate and mana more than anything. The traditional way of DPSing on a wizard are:

1. use an /assist macro,
    2. wait until the mob is 70-80% hp (old wisdom, I've found that with a tank that knows what they are doing and uses the tools at their disposal correctly I can start nuking before the mob is at 90% hp)
    3. cast a single nuke, count to five, rinse, repeat.
    4. Once you get concussion and higher level variants, nuke, concussion 1-3 times based on how well the tank is holding aggro, rinse, repeat.
    5. if you steal aggro or get summoned, DO NOT PANIC. Spam cast concussion 3-4 times, then back away a couple steps. Pop a heal potion ASAP so you don't get low health aggro on top of being top of the hate list. If you are clear, move away, start off your chain with at least one more concussion.
    6. Regarding manaburn, my routine is to start off with 3-4 casts of concussion, hit manaburn, followed by a few casts of concussion.
    7. Rains are usually your most mana efficient nukes, but don't use them if your CC is parking them on top of each other, because you will likely get you both killed when you break mez.
    8. As soon as you can, get Spell Casting Subtlety AAs, they help a lot.
    Some other things to consider are keeping an evac spell loaded and ready, and incorporate the casting into a macro so the group knows you are activating GTFOH mode. Send the message to /gsay and don't be afraid to make the call to evac before anybody else suggests it. Do the quest for the Staff of Temperate Flux, and later, the upgrade quest for the Staff of Elemental Flux. Instant cast fire/cold debuff, low hate even on a resist, can be cast on the run, and since especially at lower levels, mages and shaman are less likely to debuff resists, it will be the only one you get. It's a must have for quad-kiting, and in a pinch you can act as group puller, or tag mobs when you have a monk/SK/necro using FD pulling.

Acquire clickies that perform common spells, so you can keep your spell bar loaded with pain. Several items can be clicked for invis, there is a clicky evac staff, the 1.0 epic has a rune, though the cast time is long, and it is eventually surpassed by self buffs. Jboots are a must. In the early months of a new TLP, particularly if you are raiding, you'll need items that can be clicked for an instant or near instant junk buff, because raid bosses will dispell.

On Live servers you can easily get a mount right away, especially if you've ever bought an expansion where they were part of the package. On TLPs you have to wait til Luclin, but get a mount right away. There is a compete elimination of sitting aggro while in outdoor zones and mounted.

Keep in mind, this is aimed at a new wizard on a newish TLP. Liver servers are completely different.
    CrazyLarth, Kazint and Jumbur like this.
  8. Biltene Kingslayer

Just put a ranger in your group, and all your DPS problems are solved.
    Lophophora, zleski, Raccoo and 2 others like this.
  9. Majin-ryokoryu Journeyman

great tips until you pass level 65, except the rain thing. Rain nukes are craptastic all the way. Modern wizard is frantically spamming stuff that casts fast, does crap for damage, and hoping for AA and claw procs to pop in just the right ways to actually make a difference in the fight. if it isn't a crit it's a waste of mana so maximize your crit to 100% or better with the right ADPS support. Seriously a crit is the difference between one-shotting a green mob for 8 expansions ago or doing 4% of it's health in damage your average crit in current content is gonna be like 2-3% of the group mob's health Just hope and pray that your once per 15 fights Arcane Fusion pops and that you trigger claw refresh procs to kill your big cooldown stuff as that's more like 5% of their health if they crit and fire off all the nukes they can.
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

You missed the very last line of my post.

I readily admit I have very little experience playing ANY class past OoW. I took lengthy breaks for a lot of reasons. Work schedule and finances were the top two reasons. And even with literally every TLP until Mischief, as well as the Live game, I've gotten behind very quickly, and was never able to catch up. Sure, I popped a Heroic character token once, but I was completely lost. Between renaming and consolidating AAs other things, unless you learn as you go, for some it can be difficult. Even if I had experience in the 85+ level game as a wizard, I never would have said anything about more advanced stuff. The OP clearly stated he was a new wizard. The information I gave is great for somebody just starting to play.