Wizard ToV Raids

Discussion in 'Casters' started by kizant, Jan 22, 2020.

1. kizant Augur

Here's some videos I made for T1 since some people have been asking. I'll include final parses for each and a combined parse at the end. For Grilklor my parse for others should be pretty decent since we're all close together but I'm definitely not #1 for the 2nd event and I'm sure I missed a lot for the last event. And I did die at one point but I managed to recover OK. At least for our guild mana hasn't been a big issue so far.

Anyway, I wouldn't put too much weight on the actual position I'm showing up as but it might be useful to compare the DPS I'm getting to what others are seeing.

Combined (12): Griklor the Restless in 349s, 4.81B Damage @13.78M, 6. Kizant = 187.30M@585.30K in 320s

Combined (33): Servant of the Sleeper in 973s, 5.53B Damage @5.68M, 1. Kizant = 357.77M@373.45K in 958s {GM}

Combined (81): a restless Kromrif in 1087s, 13.60B Damage @12.51M, 5. Kizant = 535.28M@514.69K in 1040s {MX}

Combined (126): Griklor the Restless in 2409s, 23.94B Damage @9.94M, 3. Kizant = 1.08B@466.07K in 2318s {GMMX}
    Ecos, Kuvani, Cicelee and 3 others like this.
  2. kizant Augur

Also a spell breakdown in case anyone is interested in how new Pyromancy or Arcane Fusion stack up.

[IMG]
    ChiiChii, Kuvani, Sancus and 2 others like this.
  3. kizant Augur

Two things that seem low ADPS wise are that bard suffering song and druid aura were a bit lacking. I probably could have had another 2% or 3% or more DPS. hmm
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Very nice. Thanks for posting the numbers and videos.

I would agree that the mana situation has been fine. You have to stay aggressive on it (at least I do), but I have not needed to go to mana savings lineup (in spells or gear) for the last part of Beta/first run of ToV.

We haven't had our second run and I didn't have an optimal group during our first run (the vagaries of Noon eastern weekday start times). But I saw about 2/3 your damage over a longer period of time. Not a very good run by me for dps … I had better runs on Beta. No deaths though … which probably means I wasn't aggressive enough.

Just looking at the breakdown, I had a much higher Arcane Fusion numbers than you - 22 hits vs your 12 (476M vs 227M). But my Pyro numbers were only about 3/4 your damage with virtually the same number of hits (almost entirely due to differences in criticals I suspect). And you were (as always) much more aggressive with your instances (flash and beam).

Looking at my own numbers, ice procs had about a 8 percent resist rate … force of ice was about 10 percent. Restless Ice Brand from Confluence had about a 10 percent resist rate as well (really low numbers though).

We'll see what happens in the second go on Sunday.
    Drogba and Sancus like this.
  5. Skvoid Elder

Thanks for posting this, helpful for us Wizards in low end guilds to see what potential there is.

I notice you use beam a lot, even on single targets? Never thought to add that to my normal rotation, so it's worth adding in for single target stuff? And you use Flashbrand over cloudburst, only just came back to EQ at start of ToV but I always used to use Cloudburst over Flashbrand as it was better dps?
    What's you criteria for casting dissident, on GoM procs only? You didn't cast it a lot so wondered why you used it when you did.
    Blaze of fire is a proc off your weapon from spell casting or melee? it's a decent amount of dps.
    I cast Vortex on cooldown think I will stop doing that might be lowering my dps a little.

Being in a low end guild I often don't have a good group make up and as a whole fights last longer as we have a lot of causal players who struggle to do good dps, which affects my DPS as well as fights last longer.

Again thanks for taking the time to post this and put up the videos!
  6. kizant Augur

Yeah, it looks like I did get a bit unlucky with Arcane Fusion but that's also the price for using instant nukes more too I guess. Might have to think about that more during a burn.

I try to use beam on two or more targets. We usually had at least one add I believe. If I cast it when there weren't any I was probably just not paying attention that the add had already died. It does pretty good damage against 1 so it's not terrible but it does lose out on some ADPS that requires single target like our Familiar's spell focus so it's not ideal for sure.

Cloudburst still has some cases where it's good to use but I haven't thought too much about when I'd switch. The issue is that Firebrand will work with your casting fire procs, pyromancy is generally going to be stronger than arcomancy, and cloudburst won't benefit from season's wrath and similar effects. The singe effect it has is also pretty decent. With general raid lag the shorter re-cast time doesn't seem to help too much either. So, I'd give Flashbrand a try especially if you have your procs.

For me, I don't really consider GoM. I use Dissident whenever I'm not twincasting and I remember to hit it. Sure, if I'm low on mana I may avoid it or if I notice I have GoM I might use it. I should try harder on using it more.

Blaze of fire is just from the 2h TBL raid staff. Those procs are pretty big and it helps to melee with it. I'm not doing that as much as I used to either but that's another reason it's getting extra procs. The melee and casting effect are the same on that staff so you're seeing both together.

Vortex is tricky. I tried to use it more on adds that I'm on or during a burn where I can follow it up with an instant nuke. With the synergy procs factored in it should still be better than using a 2nd ethereal at the least.
    ChiiChii, Kuvani, Micaiah and 2 others like this.
  7. Skvoid Elder

Thanks for the reply Kizant, our guild should be attempting Griklor again tonight, will switch up my rotation a little more like yours and see if It helps.
    Scornfire and kizant like this.
  8. Sancus Augur

One thing worth noting with Dissident is that it has some pretty decent interactions with some single charge proc buffs. Conjurer's Synergy is a big focus so that helps it a lot (Dissident has a very high base damage to focus). There's another one (not a synergy, but a single charge proc buff) that also helps Dissident a good bit; I'd suggest playing around with them.

In practice in raids it's pretty hard to line up stuff like that, though, and I don't know if the marginal benefit given you're only casting Dissident once per minute is very high. But at least from a theorycrafting level it's something to think about. I also find in more mid-tier/low-tier raids on my Wizard there's less lag than we have in RoI, which makes it a bit easier to line up procs if I care enough to try.
    kizant and Renotaki like this.
  9. Renotaki Elder

I also think two of the T1 raids are pretty terrible for optimal dps testing. Although the confounds to being able to dps fully do make it a more "realisitic" parse I suppose, since there are factors that prevent sitting and going full blast uninterrupted. Grilikor has so many pauses in it that there isn't an uninterrupted four minutes of time anywhere I the event to get full use out of our fury burns to their full potential, for example lol on Sunday, I spent half my time Waiting for something to hit in the event.

Then of course servant of the sleeper has the degrading mitigation shield in it so no one gets to do full damage for the entire event. (that and I was in the group that had to go take out the adds that spawn out yonder, which took some time away from attacking the other mobs full time).

At least the Ring War raid is pretty good to test out sustained dps. You can spend almost all time in the event attacking something and melee range is viable throughout.
    Drogba, Lannin and Sancus like this.
  10. kizant Augur

Yeah not the best things to parse but if it's all we got... I'm also not really sure how to approach these events yet and just going with a normal burn at the start. It seems like people are slacking during the mitigation on sleeper to me just because numbers will be lower but we got to do damage to get through it so I don't see why it should change anything.
  11. Zildjiin New Member

This might be a better/more productive strategy. I'll get my ADPS to adjust.
  12. Sancus Augur

This doesn't make sense to me based on my understanding of the event. As far as I know, Ngreth made the unstable adds (which lower the mitigation) timed, so dropping more HP early doesn't drop the mitigation any faster. Both our runs through the event have been about 15 minutes long. That's long enough to use shorter burns and use them again, but you're not going to get in a full ITC burn twice (especially since this will get shorter, not longer, during farm).

Therefore, given the option of using those big burns once an event, why would you burn at the point where the most of your burn damage is mitigated? You definitely want to make sure you don't burn too late (and then waste time on your burns), but I'm not sure burning at the start is an optimal strategy.
  13. Ibudin Augur

I am not a wizard, but if I was a wizard, I would want to be Kizant. Very informative thread and huge help to fellow wizards I can imagine. Wish we had more of this on other classes.
    Treiko, RPoo and Cicelee like this.
  14. kizant Augur

I think it's difficult to expect any sort of reasonable game balance if the devs don't know what your class is doing. So, trying to hide everything seems like a bad idea to me.
    Scornfire likes this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

I am not a magician, but if I was a magician, I would want to be Sancus. I mean, he has gone through thousands of scenarios and situations to be able to know when the best time to cast a mod rod is, the proper magic DD rotation, and most importantly- where to position your earth pet when tanking raid bosses.

Invaluable to the magician community.
    RPoo and Sancus like this.
  16. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

What the hell does this have to do with Wizard ToV Raids?

Sancus is a wonderful member of the community who is very good at figuring out the nitty gritty of all the SPA stuff that most of us really just don't care about. But he's a magician.

If you really thought he was that great, probably should have created your own thread in casters.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. kizant Augur

This week we did a split raid so our times were longer. We had I think 30 people in our instance but ADPS was better cause everyone was burning earlier like we normally do. So, even though the times are longer my DPS actually went up.

Combined (12): Griklor the Restless in 483s, 5.02B Damage @10.40M, 6. Kizant = 264.93M@617.54K in 429s {M}

Combined (37): Servant of the Sleeper in 1157s, 6.63B Damage @5.73M, 3. Kizant = 547.61M@477.85K in 1146s {7M}

Combined (98): a forgotten enforcer in 2141s, 14.65B Damage @6.84M, 4. Kizant = 1.09B@526.94K in 2075s {GMG}

Combined (147): Griklor the Restless in 3781s, 26.31B Damage @6.96M, 4. Kizant = 1.91B@522.18K in 3650s {M7MGMG}
    Kuvani, RPoo, Drogba and 1 other person like this.
  18. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Yeah … didn't approach that tonight. Those numbers are amazing. Griklor and Sleeper at least have main targets you can focus on (well, at least the last half of G man), but that GD number is ridiculous.

I don't get a bard though... (just kidding … bard doesn't begin to make up my difference)

So … on an event like GD, what would you say is the biggest factor in your large amount of damage? Good mob placement to run AEs whenever you can? Lining up the extra adps synergies and the like? Something else?

Just trying to chase better techniques...

As an aside, I used Restless Ice Comet Rk. II instead of Ethereal Skyfire Rk. III tonight on our ToV raids just to see how the resists were on it. 12 resists in 114 casts. For comparison, Brand Rk II had 4 resists in 223 casts. Burst of Ice had about a 6 percent resist rate and Spike of Ice (from the Velium Empowered Gem) was also about 6 percent resist. Icerend Strike was only about 3.6 percent resist … which was much lower than last run.
  19. kizant Augur

Because there's not much time between each chance to damage Griklor I try to use more instant nukes and throw in a few wildether even when I'm using ITC. I burned from the start and was able to get in two spires and two twincasts.

[IMG]

I thought these counts were bad for a second but I forgot that only like melee procs have begin casting messages or whatever. I forget but this won't show all the procs.

[IMG]
    Kuvani likes this.
  20. kizant Augur

I've been meaning to get back to this. OK so this was GD. Again I've been burning from the start and trying to get in as much as possible. The 2 glyphs also probably helped a lot. But here's the actual spell cast counts. I can't think of anything special but I do try to AE adds as much as possible. Besides vortex + AE I'm not sure why I would do a lot more tbh.

Also, it looks like I accidentally included some coldains that were being killed outside the raid. There's the updated parse just to show the total raid time is the same:

Combined (82): a restless Kromrif in 2120s, 14.64B Damage @6.91M, 4. Kizant = 1.09B@526.94K in 2075s {GMG}

[IMG]

Then the breakdown for everything that did at least 1%.

[IMG]
    Kuvani likes this.