How can some be so strong?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Peter_The_great, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Phiyre Augur

I'd suggest considering what you see doing in the long term of your eq stay. Do you want to play mainly as a f2p account? Best off rolling something other than a tank. Tanks imo pretty much require a sub to keep maxing aa, etc. If you see yourself subbing for a long time, keep working the tank, if not, go to a class that isn't so gear/aa dependant.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I never once advocated that soloing was preferred. You're just angry that the best retort you could conjure up was 'Seeing is not same blah blah'.

Have fun!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Silver-Crow Augur

Couple of things here.
    Can you confirm what your defence skills are at e.g. dodge/parry/block/defense etc.
    If you're not getting hit while levelling (e.g. merc is tanking), then these will likely be low and leave you squishy irrespective of armor.

Next CA/CS aa's are these maxed for your level - think you said they were, but I thought i'd check. They don't seem to do much on paper, but they do make a huge difference.

Lastly Arcstone is a POR zone which is quite far on in the lvl 70 expansion flat spot. Mobs are generally tougher due to power creep, than the likes of omens of war mobs which are of similar level. Try fighting in some of the omens zones to see if you're tanking a bit better.

Finally look at your weapons, the 'elegant' weapons are rubbish. Check the bazaar for something better, or even ask the pally channel what they would recommend group tier. and go camp it.

Lastly find a guild. You may find some people are at a loose end and will be more than happy to help you gear up.

Good luck in the hunt :)
  4. shiftie Augur

At level 70 you should be in the hole grinding xp for aa when you get strong enough or bored enough go to the ruins of illsalin way better xp than arcstone and when you have outleveled that you do direwind then frostcrypt.
  5. Riffs New Member

Generally speaking all the classes seem pretty bad/slow at killing the higher you get in level. My SK around your level is painful to play because the next realistically obtainable weapon/armor upgrade comes at lvl 75. The paragon armor/weapon at which point I feel things should pick up, until that point I am using the highest level defiant weapon/armor and the j1 healing merc only doing the daily hot one quests. I think 65-75 is basically the new hell levels for gear dependent classes. I suggest sticking it out because I know if my 68 SK can slowly kill these quest mobs using only auto attack and no spells or skills you can too. I also feel most the forum either box or take for granted their ability to farm themselves good weapons using higher lvl characters for this lvl range and are unhelpful telling you AA’s are going to make a noticeable difference. Long story short a raid geared, max aa’s, and max level paladin is probably a force to be reckoned with, getting to that point is not easy.
  6. Peter_The_great Elder

I'm back! Now my Paladin is lvl 77 and I put 793 AA's points on the sucker, and I manage to buy a ''good'' sword in my opinion.. (Unrest Battle blade)

But still I'm useless..struggle with lvl 65 monsters and without my GF's beastlord I'm nothing..

I take 2000+ dmg in critical and I deal ~750dmg no critical. (I use Alacrity X, total 185% Haste) I hit almost everytime..

Seems to me that Paladin is a dud character.

Strange is my GF's Beastlord only deliver 100dps, yet she can kill so much faster then me..and her's beastlord is lvl 75, but over 900 AA's.

[IMG]

[IMG]

My character, no buffs (Only that the items does)
  7. AcemoneyFV Augur

What server do you play on? I have enough currency and toons full of Solteris raid gear to outfit you. Only if you play on FV.

I went from an SK, to a Rogue, to a Paladin with a Druid box. I can two box everything from EoK and down. I got to 100 solo (PL rest of the way), sure it's slow and boring, but Paladins vs undead is easy xp. I haven't tried anything above RoS yet as I'm doing every ach. But by the time I get there, I think my two box could do it as more xpacs will have come out.
  8. Peter_The_great Elder

I wrote wrong, I meant that I deal ~2000dmg in Critical hit. Not ''take'' as I wrote wrong.

I play in Standard Vox I think, I tried to do quests so I could get Paragon set, but I stand 0 chance of fighting the beast of bears and infected animals..and I struggle a lot with the cadaver..
  9. Newbasaurus Journeyman

Hey Peter_The_Great,

Now you are level 77, you should be using Trial of Honor (spell) for sure. This will help with your damage mitigation. Add that into your rotation. It has a dmg mitigation component, so recast when that part drops. See how it goes when you use it.
  10. Mixolydian New Member

As a point of reference (and grain of salt indicator) I play a raid geared paladin on a TLP that the current max level is 70.

A paladin isn't considered a DPS character, your strength is tanking and healing / support. Aside from undead w/ slays you aren't going to see a lot of big numbers. A beast lord is always going to do more damage than you are.

Assuming you want to stick with your paladin and be a support character, your HP / AC seems a bit low for 77. Again, I'm not sure what it "should" be but on a TLP at 70 you could get close in group gear. So I'm wondering if you have augs and if so are you focusing on AC?

Getting your AC up will help considerably with the damage you take. There are a lot of posts around about gearing up on live so I won't even try to suggest what to do there. I like the raidloot.com site for searching upgrades in particular slots.

Your AAs seem low as well, are you auto-grant?

Two handers are nice but you should be ready to switch to a 1 hander and shield when tanking something that is hitting you harder than you like.

Also keep your defensive buffs up and don't be afraid to use your disc(s) if you are fighting something tough. You can heal yourself to offset damage you are taking. Lay hands on yourself if things really go south.

If you are alone you should have dispel magic up and remove any combat buffs from your targets, like haste or some of the crazy self buffs like bolster. If you are with the beast they should be slowing things.

You can heal / cure. Make sure any debuffs you can remove are removed.

You and a beast lord should be able to do quite well in a group even without mercenaries.

I love the paladin character and you can do quite a bit with it, but aside from jokes in the guild about my leet deeps, you have to enjoy NOT being dps.
  11. Laronk Augur

Paladins don't really do good dps, even against undead its so so. They're one of the lowest dps classes in the game but that's alright because they're great tanks as for healing they're also great healing.

Really at 70 it might seem that way but once you get tanking AAs and get higher level you'll see that paladins are a "full tanker". If you're looking at an exp grind paladins at max level can actually just find 5 DPS and go to town in zones that are good exp without a dedicated healer the paladin can tank and keep his group healed.

Mostly classes come into their own 85+

At 70 it might seem that a cleric is a better pick for fighting and healing (you can actually "battle" cleric all the way to 110 as long as the tank you're grouped with isnt bad too) but you'll find that generally clerics are not good dps also which is fine because they have a stupid amount of healing (even more so as you get higher level)
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You need better gear. You need augs. You need to use 1h/shield if tanking. You need a lot more aa.

Work on all those. Combination of effort put into all of them.

I have a 65 paladin alt, that is only there to play with some alts my wife made at one point. Has no augs at all, only 119 aa. But it can solo in PoP. Unbuffed his AC mitigation value is only 36 points lower than yours. That means your AC is terrible. He also has more hAgi and almost as much hDex, though I have half as much HP mostly from the level cap.

Transfer to Xegony. I'll find you and get you straight. You're swimming in the deep end without a floatie and without having learned to swim properly. Eventually, that water down your throat will either drown you or push you to quit.
    Annastasya likes this.
  13. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Sword and board until you can gear to allow trade off to 2hander for some content.
  14. Fluid Augur

I'm not knocking you, more about expectations vs the way things work.
    I decided to check your stats vs a level 78 J1 Tank Merc. Pretty obvious even a conscientious Paladin will come up quite short to what DB considers a tank when it comes to AC. Your character is about 1/2 the AC of a Tank Merc.

[IMG]
  15. Fluid Augur

Better clip/easier to read. [IMG]
  16. Wulfhere Augur

Keep in mind that low level (1 to 100) mercs are tuned with higher then raid gear mitigation AC. Starting at level 101, mercs were re-tuned to have much less mitigation and more avoidance AC. Here's an example:

level 97 J5 tank merc (no gear or buffs, no AA) AC: 6297 / 1724
    level 105 J5 tank merc (gear and buffs, and AA) AC: 5545 / 3444
    Skewert likes this.
  17. Peter_The_great Elder

I've figured it out..its not me who is ''weak character'' its spells that is way OP in this game..no matter how good weapon a fighter get..a good spell beats any high lvl weapon..

I'm now lvl 80 with some paragon EQ and dead mans axe..a great axe.. yet a beastmaster at lvl 77 with some poison spells takes so much more damage in battle even on undead monsters.
  18. Peter_The_great Elder

So give all characters access to poison spells or nerf down all magic or raise elemental and poison resistens on the monsters..

Then the game would be more balanced.
  19. Peter_The_great Elder

[IMG]

Not fully buffed. I get around +30k HP..

Now I can 1 vs 1 lvl 60 monster without taking a sweat. lvl 70 monsters it gets hard..lvl 75 is 80% chance of die..lvl 80 monsters I die without my Healer merc.

I have spent 949 AA points.

Yet it feels like Paladin is a dud char..or the other characters are OP.. or the devs don't like Paladins :p

Yesterday I saw a lvl 75 berserker kill all (8 of them) catapult zombies by herself in Oceanhill..sick player..I die of one of those catapult zombies xD haha..
  20. Peter_The_great Elder

Does Aggro or hate really do anything on Paladin?

If I recall it right they removed aggro or hate from Paladin..only Shadow knight and other char benefits of aggro or hate.