How can I tell if someone is hacking

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bizaro, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Oculus Elder

I'm a french model
    BlankStare_001 and Sinestra like this.
  2. Izzy New Member

Well...I just yesterday found out my account also got suspended

Apparently for a day last week where I had a twink camped out in Lady Vox lair after a kill a while ago

When I logged the twink in last week, I thought I was at safespot, but instead I got instant aggro, was feared into bear pit and died and zoned to guildlobby. Was online a total of 35 mins that day, so Im thinking even SoE can make mistake and the fact I instant aggroed a "raidmob" maybe made it look like I warped up into vox lair

Still working on the issue with CS support and offered them my /log from that day, but that wont be proof enoough I guess since it could be edited :-(
  3. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Yes he does. In this very thread 9 posts up Maverick posted a very detailed response to 3rd party software. Also the thread about [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] has MANY replies from SOE empoloyees on 3rd party programs, of which made very specific refrences to Gameparse and other log file reading programs are infact NOT a violation of the EULA or the TOS and are not subject to punishement. They also, Piestro to be exact, went as far as saying software like [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], that only passes a key command from the top layer instance the the instances below it, are NOT a violation of TOS and EULA as long as you are at the keyboard and can respond to any /tells for CSR if they choose to speak with you.

You have repeatedly implied that Gameparse and GINA are direct violations to the EULA and TOS when infact you can not be anymore wrong about that. For instance, if Gameparse was illegal, SOE would then ban just about every raider in EQ and more then half of the playerbase that does not raid. And if a Audio Trigger helper was illegal, those same raiders and players would be banned yet again, and there would not be built in support for audio trigges in the game.

Please refrain from assumptions and stick to the facts.
    yaddab, Sinestra and Liliana like this.
  4. Liliana Augur

The only time Sony has ever banned for programs like [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], gameparse etc was back during 2000-2001 when there was a large banning of players using eqwindows. Which was then overturned when they introduced windowed mode
  5. Starlanae Lorekeeper

Again....
    this information was not available, and produced by nobody but mav. Mav just posted this info and as well this info has a post date of over a year ago. As I and many others have never seen this information before today and they are still considered "Third Party" programs and by that term alone they still fall into the same category as hacking programs. You quoted me on a post that was written before Mav shed light on the subject. If you read my posts they merely state that if you are not sure why you were banned then follow the EULA to the letter and ditch the programs, this is just common sense. Do not come here and attack other people for giving the best advise they can without all the facts that in this case have been buried on posts that are over a year old and archived out of the way. Even while I admit to not having all the facts, these boards are here to assist others with issues based on our knowledge of the game and post possible solutions based on our experience. Until now...How much useful information did you provide to the conversation other than a late troll to the topic?

Hey Piestro,

Man you know I think you are one of the best, if not the best Dev we have ever worked with here...but how about posting a permanent post on the boards that is stickied and easily referenced on some of these programs that we are allowed to use without fear of getting banned...please. If not, then please re-iterate Sony's official non-support of any third party program just so everyone knows. Either way, a little clarity is needed.
  6. Pirlo Augur

A Deep Space Nine reference AND a reference to the "Bon jour" guy in the commercial!

<3

P.S. I miss Sisko

Oh and to the OP. Sorry you got banned. Someone must have been hacking while you were grouped with them, guilt by association.
  7. Starlanae Lorekeeper

And actually...HE (Yaddab) does not know for a fact as Yaddab produced no evidence to support his claim. However, Mav offered up support and enlightened all of us off of a post made over a year ago. So stop misquoting people and refrain from your own assumptions and stick to the facts.
  8. yaddab Augur

SHE has enough common sense to know that reading/analysing a text file on your own computer does not constitute a violation of the EULA.

Also Piestro is not a Dev just a fyi
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Starlanae Lorekeeper

Actually if you want to get gnit-picky, Gherig called you He first..=-P...and in your original post you stated that you were "manipulating" the logs, not "reading/analysing" them. Manipulation, can be construed as relevant in this conversation of hacking. And as I said before, you produced no facts or posts to back up your claim that could be shared with the rest of us. Your statement offered no helpful information at all. Mav produced the informative information that was sorely needed from the beginning, for anyone to make any type of helpful suggestion. You all got mad when I recommended that these programs were violated EULA as far as I understood it and after information was introduced to refute it, I admitted as much. It was also stated that these programs can be used in conjunction with, and "Manipulated" into hacking software. So stop trolling people that are trying to help others and go back to general chat where your trolling is surely missed. It is no wonder more people don't post on these boards if they are run by wish-they-were know-it-alls like yourself MAAM.
    Have a nice day angry person.
  10. Fenthen aka Rath

I was grouping with someone who was ghostkilling back in... uhm.. 2007 or 2008? I got my account back in July after I petitioned, fed information, told my side of the story, and agreed to one final warning.

I admit it. ;)
  11. Piestro Augur

Thanks for the compliment. I'm the Community Manager, so my responsibility is different than a Dev's is. The most public aspect of this role is communicating back and forth; essentially I'm the spokesperson for the game.

Unfortunately a permanent list is a really really bad idea. This is because we can't control development of these third party programs. Another issue is that some 3rd party programs are OK used in a normal way, but not OK used in a cheating way. Finally our policies evolve over time. 13 years ago rules were very different than they are now, and 3 years from now they will probably have been further refined. The best rule of thumb is don't use anything that 1) does things for you automatically, or 2) allows you to do things you can't normally do in game.

Parsing utilities for example function by reading log files. You can read log files. This is just organizing reading the log files in a different way, ergot it's not cheating.
  12. Fenthen aka Rath

I'd say that anything which MODIFIES GAME DATA would be cheating. Warping, ultra fast attack speeds, whatever. Reading of data (logs for parsers, memory for item collectors) etc isn't cheating since there's no modification. Autofire programs, as Piestro said, are not allowed if you're going AFK, but are totally cool if you're at the desk, and can't hit repetitively. As long as you can respond to a GM /tell or some such, SOE has always said it's okay (especially before /autofire!)
  13. Hatsee Augur

It seems easier to me to just think of it like this.

I use Gamparse and similar programs, they are no different from reading a book. If I edit that book later on it doesn't change anything and the person that sold it to me wont care if I read it, obviously.

Hackers are like Kathy Bates in Misery, they kidnap the author and break his feet in an attempt to get what they want, a book written in their own fashion. This ends badly and usually gets them banned.

Don't be Kathy Bates.
  14. Braveheart Augur

Everyone stop using /autofire =P
  15. Kurayami Augur

That's an interesting case, I hope it goes in your favor, being bad at choosing a camp spot causing a ban is definitely not a good thing... I am notoriously bad at picking out FD spots when I bio and such, lol.
  16. Talif Augur

Mmmm rye fungus.
    Leerah likes this.
  17. Leerah Augur

This may be true now but it wasn't true during the POP era in which the OP last played. People WERE banned for being in a group with someone who was soloing PoTime. I heard of a ranger and a rogue on Quellious who were the last persons standing when Fabled Aerin`Dar died and they were suspended for "hiding in geometry." I got suspended on two accounts who weren't on agro when the Fabled Prince died in Chardok. Ten days, same charge, except they said my level 1 trader was "hiding in geometry."

What you need to know to reassure you is that they are suspending people who warp or chain zone. If someone looks like he's warping, it's probably lag, shadowstep, or a number of other things that propel one around. The most important thing is now when their software triggers a suspicious activity a real person looks at the logs. So go enjoy the game and don't worry about false alarms getting you suspended.
  18. Leerah Augur

I had toons camped in Vox's lair during Fableds. When it reverted to normal zone and I logged in, I was simply banished. I cannot see why they would suspend you over that. The tracking program was already in place during Fabled. Could it have been something else?
  19. Gimagukk New Member

Sorry to be Johnny-come-lately, but I just saw this thread. As the developer of GINA who has put a lot of hours into the app, I just wanted to confirm that GINA does comply with the EULA. The often misquoted sentence of the EULA regarding third parts apps is "You may not use any third party software to modify the Software to change Game play."

GINA operates by parsing the log file to provide audio/visual alerts based on text patterns which you define. It does not (and will never) automate activity in Everquest for you in reaction to those alerts.
  20. Bizaro Journeyman

One other thought. I read that people that lag can be mistaken for warping. Now, I force myself to play in windowed mode with extra lag than I would in full screen at a lower resolution(gina requires window mode, and it's just so much nicer to be able to alt+tab to google quickly)
    Sometimes when I get in trouble and have to run I hit "ALT + ENTER" while I have "autorun" button pushed. This switches me from window mode to full screen or vice versa while continuing to run forward. I have no idea if the lag this causes could appear to be a hack but I would be happy to recreate this for anyone in game. This is probably reaching but it has to be SOMETHING besides a hack and this is something that stuck out in my mind. I just do not have the proper education to figure this out. Game play will literally STOP for several seconds, screen will go black, then full screen will appear with severe lag as my character is moving forward, then it will synch up, all in a few seconds