How can I tell if someone is hacking

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bizaro, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Starlanae Lorekeeper

They do run programs in the background while you play. These programs flag potential issues to be looked into. As information is gathered, determination is made whether the program is running any third party programs or the player is using exploits. This information is gathered, gone over, and if justified, sent to the people who ban the account. You know all of this sir and have been told as much. You ban was only for a week so I would be thankful and leave it at that. In the mean time, uninstall GINA and any parse program or anything else that might be considered a third party program from your computer to make sure there is nothing on your end to cause this in the future. If there are people in your group or guild that you even suspect of using these programs...remove yourself from them in all ways. Hey man, i been giving you advice for 2 days now on how to handle this situation and all you have done is freak out. Piestro even offered assistance and advice and you continue to freak out. You have been given all the info you can possibly get in order to remedy this situation when you get your account back. Just chill out and read a book or something before you stroke out from the stress, lol. People aren't going to give you any information here that you haven't gotten already. The only people that can tell you about hacking are the hackers and they are not going to implicate themselves and anyone else is just guessing at this point from what they have heard from others. Just chill and be thankful they didn't ban the account permanently sir.
    Elricvonclief and Liliana like this.
  2. Uxtalzon Augur

Huge wave? They did a sweep or something? Can they do a sweep for cute girls, too?! Oh hello, Liliana. :3
  3. Starlanae Lorekeeper

Soo..you have the word of a Dev on this? Did someone from Sony put this in writing for you and nobody else? You do have proof of your claims right? You do know that altering game files on your computer is bad too right? Unless you have the word of Sony that you can share here right? I have no idea what impact these programs have on the game, probably none...but I have not seen Sony say "Hey all..here is a list of programs that are just fine to use....". Sir you and others lack any common sense if you think using ANY "Third Party" program not included in EQ itself is ok. I have no idea the impact of these programs as I do not use them, but I do know that the term "Third Party" is pretty straight forward.
    I do know that there was a lot of fear back when Sony started these sweeps of hackers because even Magelo is classified "Third Party" software. Do not come in here and piss on peoples heads and tell them it is rain. You have this list from Sony saying what is ok and what isn't, then produce it and I will shut up, otherwise offer some helpful advice instead of coming in and trolling destructive advise on others by telling peeps what is ok and what isn't with no evidence to back it up. All I am doing is telling OP and others that it is better to be safe than sorry in this situation. Sony will not tell OP why he was banned for many reasons, most of all to keep hackers from circumventing their sweeps. If he is telling the truth and GINA is all he was using, then common sense tells me that he should stop using it. If someone was using hack that he was grouped or guilded with, then he should distance himself from those people. Exactly what part of my advice was rubish?
  4. Nolrog Augur

Bonjour . . .

Hope you get the reference.
  5. Nolrog Augur

I'll just say that they don't ban proper without good reason, and often they will err on the side of caution and let something slide when not 100% sure.
    Elricvonclief and Starlanae like this.
  6. Ronak Augur

Except for that last big sweep when they accidentally banned everyone who got the 'the instance is not ready to receive visitors' and were ported to safe spot in zone as well. They did rescind all those bans, and post an official, and very snarky, apology at least. But, they can, and do, make mistakes.

Did they in this case? Only the banned knows, and no amount of argument will sway anyone's opinion here anyway.
  7. Starlanae Lorekeeper

Oh, and by the way..I never said there was anything wrong with these programs..I like seeing others parses in groups, I wish EQ had an integrated parse program. Using an audio trigger program other than the one in EQ is kind of risky. I don't know what the advantages of it are, but I am sure it has to do with custom audio files and possibly updated trigger downloads from others that use the program. Look, I am just saying that these programs are not part of the EQ client and therefor are "Third Party" programs. Regardless of impact on game, if this software is sending up flags for hacking detection programs, then stop using them.
  8. Bizaro Journeyman

Lots of great reads, thanks everyone. Lets all try to be civil so the moderators do not feel compelled to close this thread.

I knew there was a reason for using GINA other than it just makes everything so much more efficient. It reduces lag. I understand everyone has different experience with lag, this is to be expected. I have found for me that using the in-game audio triggers leads to extra lag on raids. There is already enough lag on raids I have to turn everything down to the minimum and cannot show spell effects etc... I am getting off topic again and am no expert on how these things work. All I know is that the in-game voice chat equals lots of lag for me. Same with the journal and the in-game audio triggers. I will keep doing research to see if I can find a solution to the lag. I do not plan on using any 3rd party programs until I've completely studied the T.O.S, EULA, and all that fun stuff. I have read it, a long time ago..
  9. Liliana Augur

Enough with the clueless card. In the future dont use macro quest and you won't get suspended/banned
  10. Hatsee Augur

Rubbish.

Parse programs are not getting people banned, there are a dozen legitimate things he could have done that got him banned but without him being completely honest, and a completely detailed account of how the automated systems work, and the gm logs which show why they banned him, we're all guessing.

But what you are saying is all completely wrong.
  11. Bizaro Journeyman

I posted my appeal and communication with the GM's in a different thread under the Account Support Forum. This was closed either due to people being nasty to one another or whatever else...
    I am not going to do that again.. It has done no good. I just want to equipped with all the ammo I can possibly have for if and when I go back to playing.

To those saying I hack and to get over it. That's fine, you're entitled to be that way. I don't really blame you. I don't know how I would feel on the other side of this situation. I do know that I can't possibly seeing myself beliving that hacker would go thru all this trouble instead of just hacking again.. I assume a hacker can level fairly quickly.. That does not make sense to me
  12. maverick Elder

12/05/2011 08:25:34
    Subject: Re:Re:Re:Cheaters and Exploiters in EverQuest Put on Notice: Stop Now.
    [IMG]
    [IMG] Piestro [IMG]

Community Relations

Gamanern wrote:
    Piestro wrote:
    I'm not gonna create a list of approved programs, however I will say that common sense is more than enough to tell if you are cheating.
    Parsing - Not cheating
    Item Collectors - Not cheating
    Program that has autofire button (and you are still in the general vicinity of the keyboard) - Not cheating
    Swimming on auto-run into a corner to raise up swimming - Not cheating
    Cheating - not allowed.
    If it's reasonable and not unfair it's not cheating. If it gives you an unfair advantage and allows you to do things that can't be normally done in game it's cheating.
    I have three main 3rd party programs that I wrote and support: GamParse, GamTextTriggers and GamSettingsMover.
    From above, GamParse appears to now have the green light.
    Can you also confirm the other programs are allowed also:
    GamTextTriggers - reads the log file, outputs to either text-to-speech, play a wave file, or creates a transparent window above the game to display text and a timer. Basically extends the in-game audio triggers functionality, adds a text display, and works like a stop-watch on timers (much like the new timers when you hover over an AA that has been used showing remaining time and a re-use red-tint till its usable again)
    GamSettingsMover - Simply copies people's settings files, if a user renames their character, or transfers to a different server, or both, the program will assist them copying the correct files so they retain their settings. This actually has to run before the game has started.
    While I believe my programs are all acceptable, I would love to have confirmation so people can feel confident they are allowed to use my programs.
    None of your programs allow people to do things that aren't possible in game, therefore none are unacceptable.

Your browser does not support iframes. Iframes are a requirement to see a user's signature.
    [IMG] [IMG]
  13. yaddab Augur

Thanks Maverick I knew Piestro had posted that but could not find it !
  14. maverick Elder

U are Welcome, and thank you Piestro.
  15. Bizaro Journeyman

The only reason I've come up with for being banned and my appeal not being over turned is I grouped and gained an expierence and or item while they were hacking. I do not remember the incident. I wish they would at least give me a day so I could narrow down the suspects. When I can see my toons friend list again that will hopefuly pin point the perputator. As of now I am clueless and everyone I suspected has been online in the past few days.

That is why I posted here asking for help to try and prevent this from happening again :(
    I care deeply about my character (obvious, no?) to almost a scary point. I would not jepordize this over hacking. I only play one character at a time, I can not see a viable reason for me to hack other than sheer lazyness.

Unfortunatly, under these unique circumstances SOE is unable to provide any information that may help me better prepare myself in the future as this will aid hackers.

I feel like I typed this before =P
  16. Liliana Augur

Yeah yeah we get it, you're a clueless innocent who's account just happened to get flagged for third party active hacks. Enjoy your vacation
  17. huadmer Lorekeeper

The quote did not show up right. It was from piestro about [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]
    Also about [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software].
    Almost any 3rd party software can be modified to cheat/exploit, so, there will never be a definite statement that says yes we allow any and all 3rd party programs. There has been plenty of times someone from eq has stated that as long as it doesn't give a person an unfair advantage over what already is capable of being done in game, then its fine. This does not give any 3rd party program a free license to be used in every way possible, it's a guideline to be used by those who can discern what's fair play and what is not. There will always be a conflict of this line and if you find yourself on the opposing side then you'll get the ban stick. I chose to take the risk and trust in my discernment.
    Starlanae likes this.
  18. Piestro Augur

Best way to tell if someone is cheating: They are doing something not possible in the game.
  19. Diptera Augur

Bashir: What I want to know is, out of all the stories you told me which ones were true and which ones weren't?
    Garak: My dear doctor...they're all true.
    Bashir: Even the lies?
    Garak: Especially the lies.
  20. Starlanae Lorekeeper

Thanks Mav

I have never seen anyone from Sony or the Dev team take any stand on this issue before. Glad you posted it and now there is some info out there. As this was posted well over a year ago I would still air on the side of caution and research any program you are going to use for these functions. As these particular programs seemed to have been flagged as safe and clear at the time, I am sure there are others out there that may not be the same and as safe as these seem to have been deemed. I still believe these programs are still considered third party and Sony still has the right to change their view of these programs at any time in order to catch the real cheaters. No matter what, educate yourself and be careful. Also, not knowing this information before still does not change any of what I said before. Is still sometimes better to be safe than sorry especially when the Devs are not telling anyone why they were banned in the first place nor should they have to. Have fun everyone and thanks again Mav for shedding a little light on this conversation.