Highest DPS class in the game?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Arcaine, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Phrett Augur

... nor should they ever be, as hybrids.
  2. SyDiko Augur

Without using any math, I think it's safe to safe that universal game design rarely allows a hybrid class chart topping capabilities. Now there is always that odd case when a hybrid will exceed in certain areas, but that will quickly be addressed. As for rangers, it all depends on their mechanics. A good question to ask in this regard is: If they run out of mana, does that impact their sustained damage per second? And, if so - how long can a ranger maintain their mana before the end of an encounter?
  3. dpsdpsdps Elder

rangers..cannon fodder with bows. give me pred, camp out and get on some other class to raid and/or group with me.
  4. Coldmouth Elder

Looks like im rolling a Wizard next! I remember back in the day when Mages nuked harder than Wizards... think it was PoP era or slightly before? been -awhile- so I forget.
  5. SyDiko Augur

Yep, that's the consensus it seems.

If the playing field were equal, I'm willing to bet that a Magician could possibly keep up with and/or pass a Wizards DPS score at level 100. The thing is, if a Wizard gets a chain of lucky die rolls behind the scenes, their hardest direct damage spell: Ethereal Incandescence could burst him up to areas that would force the Magician to play catch up for a couple of seconds. On a short fight the Wizard would win, but drawn out fights - there is some fair game to be had!
  6. Necromonious Augur

I don't use lesson that much because I eventually get crazy and try to burn down 4-5 even-yellow cons with all cooldowns with my 2box and end up killing myself ;)
  7. Coldmouth Elder

Right now Ill have a 90 Bard 90 Shaman and 2x 90 Mages.

Sucks not having a porter in group, you guys think I should just bench a mage for a wizard? Is it worth starting from scratch is my main question.
  8. Ratbo Peep Augur

If 2-boxing.
    Find light blues for lesson. Use Wizzie Merc on Burn and Cleric Merc on Reactive.
    Pull for them and then help...... let the wizzie tank. :)
    -R
  9. Ratbo Peep Augur

Rangers have had a turn or two in the DPS sunlight. A well played Ranger does "very good" DPS.
    -Rat
  10. Ratbo Peep Augur

Yes it does - by a lot.
    Our Archery DPS relies both on Disc's and the mana using Called Shots effect (once) coupled with focused arrow spell (twice) rinse and repeat.
    When archery burn is done we can melee - but the ability to spam the 2 above spells plus the Mountain Dew line adds greatly to DPS during that phase as well.
    I ran OOM during a raid last night.... and knew it... :)
    -Rat
  11. RangerGuy Augur

Rangers are ok dps but they are not anywhere near the level of wizards or zerkers. HoT was the last time we really competed and that was sustained.
  12. Dabrixmgp Augur

Wizard if Lazy
    Beastlord if Pro
    Mary Poppins likes this.
  13. Tharrg Augur

I think you have a toss up between wizard/monk...... for sustained dps...
  14. Mary Poppins Augur

I don't know about the beastlord part, but spot-on assessment for wizzy. I highly recommend it.
  15. Kiillz Augur

tho I may seem bias on this regarding my class, I would agree on the consensus here on the thread on wizard or monk, depending on you like of game play, finger wiggling or meleeing.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Charris Journeyman

Ahh if only all you people knew what a good Rogue is truly capable of, this thread may have been very different, such sadness. :(
  17. Necromonious Augur

Do you play necromancer? Because you necro'ed the heck outta this thread ;)
  18. Fle2ch Elder

The thing is EQ is never as simple as raw damage output. Targets resistances and the type of target have to be taken into account.
    Certain classes excel against certain types while being mediocre At best against others. Other classes are more rounded.
    Certain mobs are weaker against magic while others weaker against physical damage.
    I think the most important thing is to play a class you like , feel comfortable with and one you are good at.
  19. Whitecloudx New Member

some numbers:
    raid wiz 1 min burn :
    160K~180K dps with self buff.
    180K~210K dps with full support.
    ps. for 1 min burn, raid wiz dps is just 6% higher than group wiz.

zerker/rog
    1 min burn with full support:
    300K dps
  20. Brohg Augur

Those numbers look somewhat different for a 10 minute burn, eh? Black Wolf 2x + IoG for 8 minutes more "disc" damage ain't something solo wiz do.