Heroic Rogue

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Ricice_Milner, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Ricice_Milner New Member

Ive always loved the rogue class but never really got to play one until now. With this heroic character thing I wanted to make one to play with friends and such. My problem is I have no idea what skills i need on my bars or what burn macros I need or basically anything but backstab. Are there any good semi up-to-date guides out there that can help me figure this guy out?
  2. Harabakc Augur

3. Ricice_Milner New Member

Not really what I was looking for but if thats my only option I suppose im stuck with it
  4. Raynard Augur

My main bar is attack/backstab/"evade" hotkey/thief's eyes/pinpoint vitals/twisted shank/bleed/assault
    I use daggerlunge as often as possible to start fight

start burn fight with envenomed blades/sleight of hands/BP click
    keep thief's eyes up and use bleed/twisted shank/assault(watch agro from this one) endurance permiting
    right before burn click glyph of the cataclysm/epic/third spire/pinpoint vitals
    burn with shaman epic if you can, use rogue's fury and frenzied stabbing discipline
    when frenzied stabbing fades hit assassin discipline
    when that fades you can use intensity of the resolute with twisted chance

feel free to space those discs out if its a long fight to use with subsequent epic clicks
    Twisted Chance should go to main burn if you cant get mobs back
  5. Ricice_Milner New Member

Do you have a multibind key for backstab + others or do rogues not do that?
  6. Raynard Augur

I don't, but others might.
  7. Ricice_Milner New Member

8. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

[IMG]

EDIT: My rogue is 100, so some of this stuff you won't have available yet. A good deal of it, though, you already have, just a lower version of it.

This is a screenshot of my setup on my rogue. I use AYA UI, with a custom setup. The top bars are clickies and bags. Then my disc bar. You can see which discs are on it. The others show keymapping, other than the first one. Some things I've renamed to a shorter version of what they actually are. (MD is actually Deceit, but MD is what I call it in my head, so that's what's on the key.)

The socials are as follows:

SoS Go! - turns attack off, followed by /doability # for hide, and /doability # for sneak.
    raid - /stand, /hidecorpse npc, /hidecorpse looted
    corpse - /corpse
    autoinv - /autoinventory
    Escape (in blue!) - /attack off, /alt activate for escape
    Burn - /disc frenzied stabbing discipline, /alt activate for third spire, rogue's fury, and envenomed blades. (With buttons visible for third and fury, because sometimes latency causes issues)

Banestrike is tied to 4, so when I hit Incursion, it fires as well. I have a few other keys mapped to different locations, cause it works for me. My potions are 1, 2, 3, and 4 on my number pad. Cycle corpse is my / key on number pad. /corpsedrag is 8 and /corpsedrop is 9 on the number pad.

A lot of setting it up is just going with what works for you. I usually have my left hand on the number row of my keyboard, so a lot of my stuff is mapped in that direction. My right hand stays on my arrow keys, so I can strafe easier. The other thing to remember is that keymapping is global for your EQ folder. So if you have any mapped for your main, it will affect what your setup will be for your rogue.

Hope this helped some, and maybe answered some questions you had. Feel free to send me a tell sometime if you want to ask specific questions about my setup. povar.Winnowyl
  9. Harabakc Augur

I don't recommend a bind for backstab, or evade.
  10. Brogett Augur

Indeed I still have separate sneak and hide keys because they do different things and sometimes we can use use without the other.
  11. Kanolth New Member

That and hide can sometimes fail. Either because of a fail skill check or you moved and interrupted your hide attempt. When you have them macroed together, this can get confusing and messy. Granted there are AAs that allow you to hide while moving but they are not 100 percent. I said that only for the newbie rogue's benefit.

I also find using Razor's Edge with Rogue's Fury nets me some pretty nice numbers. /shrug.

As for my set up, I click everything except incursion, backstab, TE, evade and melee attack. Like Winno I have banestrike tied to incursion.

Q: Attack
    E: Evade
    1: Incursion/Banestrike
    2: Backstab
    3: Thief's eyes
    4: Knifeplay

1,2,3 I am using constantly. 4 is good because of fast up time, and it's pretty much a must to have going at any time you're not burning.

Everything else is clicked. I don't do burn macros because depending on the situation I burn differently. I play EQ2 as well so clicking icons on massive hotbar setups is not a problem for me ;p
  12. Kanolth New Member

Also one more piece of advice. I have two escape keys. Once is just the escape ability which I use to drop aggro if needed. The other is a macro, which turns attack off, pauses and then triggers escape. I find it convenient when moloing or when stuff goes south with a group.
  13. Esero Elder

Good advice on the escape macro - you can also insert /disc rest in there if that's another thing you're using it for (which I do quite often)

I don't think I've evaded years but, I suppose it's still needed at times until you are able to use Misdirection/Deceit & it isn't too much of an endurance drain on you to do so.. when I did evade on raids I generally wouldn't macro it but rather manually hit whatever key binds i set up for attack off/hide/attack on just to get it done in a few miliseconds
  14. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

/nod. That's a good portion of the reason I have the 2 escapes up there also. Hotkey 5 is plain escape, which I hit during fights just to dump agro. The blue Escape is /attack off + escape.

I've got Hide and Sneak separate down by the mount, so that I can start summoning it, and click them while they're right there. Hide on my 3 key is cause I sometimes (rarely) evade during a fight, but I DO use it frequently when speaking to npc's that don't see SoS. Hit 3, say my thing, then hit 3 again, and I'm good to go.

My SoS go keys have /attack off, hide, and sneak on them, which I generally use while travelling. I also made unobtrusive AT's for when hide and sneak fire. Over the years, I've gotten to the point where I don't even really notice them.... unless both don't fire. The LACK of 2 tick sounds tips me off, rather than listening for them to fire specifically.

As for my burn key, while I DO have it set for Frenzied, Fury, Third, and EB, I am also able to Shift+3 to fire Twisted Chance instead, then hit Z to fire the AA's anyway. Same applies if I use counter, though I have to manually click it. Anything that's up on my bar though, I can just Shift +# to fire it off.
  15. Brogett Augur

I still have escape as the original single ability as I like being able to see when abilities pop up, but I recall a while back the devs added a /command to make a hotbutton stay "pushed down" for a set length of time, so it acts and looks like a normal ability. Can anyone recall what it is? I've started to get fed up of hitting escape+rest only to find some AoE hit me in the half second between the clicks. Grrr

I have attack off on my assist key too. It sounds odd, but it's not the same as the /autoattack off (or is it /autoassist off? I forget). The latter doesn't turn attack on, but if it is already on for some reason then nor does it turn it off. Occasionally I would use an evade macro (attack off, hide, attack on) just as a mob dies and then have attack on. At that stage as soon as you assist you don't want necessarilyto also immediately hit. Granted I also don't use evade so much these days. The aggro drop is tiny now so it's only a useful skill if you have top aggro.

For burn hotkey, I have Rogue's Fury, Frenzied Stabbing, Twisted Chance and some sundries on the same key. I spam click it to get all to fire (so often it misses one at random) and can use the same key for both parts of the RF burn. If I want to swap the order of FS vs TC I'll click it manually before hitting the burn key.
    Harabakc likes this.
  16. Songsa Augur

It is /timer "duration". For example i have this macro :
    /alt act 670
    /timer 600
    /disc Thief's vision Rk. III

It does Twisted shank, put a 60sec timer on it (red icon until it is refreshed) and use thief's vision disc.

I also use gash with absorbing agent AA like that :
    /disc Gash Rk. III
    /timer 910
    /alt act 1175

It does gash and absorbing agent and put a refrresh timer of 91sec on it (AA is 90sec refresh).

About Escape key i also have 2 escape key :
    one is the normal hotkey, other one is
    /pause 5, /alt act 102
    /disc Rest Rk. III
    It does Escape then rest after 0.5sec to cover possible lag.
  17. GeezerGamer Journeyman

I'd like to start my Rogue out slowly with the bare minimum of hot keys necessary to sustain dps. As I get comfortable with the class, I'll integrate more AAs/Disc into the mix.

My hot keys (all subject to change) so far are

attack
    back stab
    evade
    hide
    sneak

So which AA/Disc should I start using first? The bare minimum?

Thanks
  18. Songsa Augur

What level are you?
  19. GeezerGamer Journeyman

Level 85 Heroic
  20. Songsa Augur

Discs
    Bleed, jugular slice (2 dots so watch out if you escape you can re aggro with that if dot is still running), pinpoint vitals, assault and thiefs eyes for dps.
    Vigorous dagger throw, smokescreen, desperate escape to pull and split mobs.

AA for sustained dps
    Twisted shank, envenomed blade

Burn = Rogue's fury, twisted chance, frenzied stabbing, third spire of the rake, epic click, pinpoint, then can use assassin disc.