HE or DE cleric

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ethiris, May 21, 2017.

1. Ethiris New Member

Hello :). I intend to play on Agnarr but haven't been playing since late 2001 so I'm absolutely clueless about everything haha. Last few days I've been getting used to the basics again. I can't decide on a Dark Elf or High Elf cleric. I played a HE one during Classic, Kunark and Velious and enjoyed it but I really like the DE's too. I was wondering whether a DE might be worse/better? During PoG my guild needed every cleric they had so I messed up my Tunare rep, I figure it might be easier to not have to worry about that this time. But at the same time I feel I might be overlooking some obvious negatives (like being kos everywhere... or is that manageable?).
  2. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

being kos is easily managable..

also as a DE cleric you get a snare necklace...
  3. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

and let's not forget Hide ability
  4. Dulu Augur

Human Clerics can worship Innoruuk and are welcome in Neriak, in addition to many "good" cities.

Dark Elves have low Charisma, which plays a role in lull. Getting a critical resist as a Cleric is typically game over.
  5. Kiani Augur

Dark elves get innate hide, which is nice if you want to go afk in an area where there are mobs that don't see invis, but not game breaking.

Dark elves of innoruuk can get the snare necklace, but again, this is hardly game breaking, you'll usually be grouped, and usually have a snarer there.

High elves start in Felwithe, since it's off Greater Faydark, it's a great place for origin and getting a TL / port. Neriak is a 3 zone maze, but some people like it.

If I were you, I'd go with what you fancy, you can always change it later on.
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

7. malaki Augur

Gnome is the correct answer.
    That One Guy likes this.
  8. Ethiris New Member

Thank you all for the responses, I appreciate it! I do love hide, it's so convenient. It's good to know I'll be fine either way :).
    I'll think some more on it (and I'll consider that gnome... *grins*).
  9. Rojas82 Journeyman

Halfling so you can wear sweet Inny Flip Flops.
  10. Green_Mage Augur

I don't know if this is relevant on TLP, but in classic, it was more difficult to do the work for the Cleric epic as an evil Cleric than a good one. Also, Dark Elf is not very good stat-wise, which matters more on a Fresh TLP then other situations. I only highlight these negatives because the positives have already been discussed.

I like to max Charisma when I go High Elf. It plays a noticeable role in Lull, and their base Wisdom is good anyway. That being said, Lull is a relatively small concern for most Clerics who mostly just sit in camp in CH. It's the more active small group Clerics that put it to use.

High Elf will be a little better stat and faction-wise (especially if you want to spend a good amount of time on Faydwer). But in the long run, most power-gamers would argue the snare neck wins out all other concerns.

Other Cleric races people consider are:

Dwarf -- best stats except charisma, good crafted armor in Kunark

Human -- good balanced stats, lots of deity choices.

Halfling -- Besides decent stats and exp bonus, Halflings also have access to Sneak, which can be used to shop at hostile Merchants (like in Runnyeye for example). It was a bigger deal in classic/p99 because you couldn't just go to a aug merchant to shop in any non-KoS town. It still could be convenient.

Gnome -- They get tinkering and some dig being the smallest race.

Edit: Sal`Varae's Robe of Darkness is an insanely good chest in Velious that lasts until PoP easy. Cleric is the only priest class that can use it, but it can only be used by Robe races: HUM ERU HIE DEF GNM IKS FRG DRK. Just something to consider before all you Clerics out there role Dwarf or Halfling etc.
  11. Samueru Journeyman

Stat wise, they're about the same.
  12. Rhodz Augur

No noticeable difference outside of hide and factions.
  13. MaestroM Augur

This.

Cha doesn't matter for lulls. And if it does, Human cha > DE.

Human Cleric of Innoruuk = clicky snare neck gg.

Additionally, Clerics are a plate class.

Plate is heavy AF. Even with your 40 slot 100% wr bag, a full set of bronze + weap and shield is gonna be a lot to carry around. the extra str and sta from human = powah
    Rhodz likes this.
  14. Rhodz Augur

I swear I havent started a char that wasn't human unless the class prevented it since I figured this out. A long time ago, but my wife thinks elves are great and does that. But playing? Nah give me the ability to haul out loot.
  15. Tachya Elder

When playing a DE (or other low STR) cleric I'd gear like a druid early on... leather, and try to get +wis pieces. Until you get the better gear, with PoHate armor you're fine.

The early quest armor (chestplate of the constant etc) is good too and then you have plate (unless that's not in on TLP?).
  16. Ultrazen Augur

The correct answer is Dorf.

1. High starting str, plate is heavy
    2. Old character models
    3. Dorf roll on jump

DE and HE both suffer from low STR, and suffer you will.

You'll be on a server with 109840938943 druids and rangers and sks so...snare probably won't be too much of a problem, still nice to have though. Hide can be handy. Faction can be a bit of a pain for certain things.

If you want to start a good class over in Fey, Dwarf is just so much better, unless you hate the look etc.
  17. Green_Mage Augur

It's true that Dwarf is the best from a strength perspective, followed by Human.

Human Stats (+25 wis,+5 str)

str 85
    dex 75
    agi 75
    stam 80
    int 75
    wis 110
    cha 75

But you can do High Elf stats like this (+25 str, +5 wis):

str 85
    dex 70
    agi 85
    stam 70
    int 92
    wis 110
    cha 80

And they come out more or less the same.

Basucally if you care about str/sta at all, Dwarf takes the cake (+25 wis, +5 agi):

str 95
    dex 90
    agi 75
    stam 95
    int 60
    wis 118
    cha 45
  18. Rhodz Augur

They could do it that way but they dont except maybe the dwarves.
    As far as dwarves are concerned just can't get to like playing a shorty though tried many times, something always feels off. Humans just have no stat holes and are the blank canvas I will paint my picture.
    Heheh
  19. Trevalon Augur

Well with the nerf of the DE leveling area I wouldn't make a DE for anything to be honest unless this gets fixed.

My Cleric is going to be a halfling, because well, 5% is 5% and Halflings never have to get shrink and lastly Rivervale is a very decent Origin only 1 small zone from Commonlands and how doesn't wanna hear Rivervale music everytime they origin?

Though if you dont wanna go Halfling, I actually think Dwarf is the best cleric and still has a very good origin spot, quick couple of portals and your in CL
  20. Tachya Elder

I always saw more HE and dwarf clerics than any other races, but our guild had HE, dwarf, human, DE and halfling clerics and they were all good. Gear and skill matter more than race eventually.