Guild Hall Anchors

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Windance Augur

The issue there is they still take up space in the guild hall and create a lot of clutter.
  2. strongbus Augur

should make it so each guild hall has 1 anchor and each member has to right click and attune themself to that anchor. just make it so you can unattune one self if you leave the guild
  3. Bobokin Augur

They could, but Daybreak often gives the, "we don't have time," feedback on most issues, so simple may be the only way it gets done at all.

As for clutter, most guild halls don't even use all of the rooms, so just make the anchors tiny and pack them in one of the rooms. You can pack the anchors behind a fake wall or even inside a wall using free placement. No one even needs to see them.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

The problem with that is each place anchor is counted against the max items in the hall reducing the ability to have other decoration.

DO NOT place an anchor inside an actual wall or anything else that will "trap" the character. You can, though, stack them on each other.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A suggestion was made so that anchors didn't count against the item limit which is what prompted the suggestion to move them to an unused room.
    Bobokin and Rijacki like this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Hand them from the ceiling or make a forest type room.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Bobokin Augur

Our guild tested placing anchors in walls before I posted, and there were no ill effects. It was an interior wall, so maybe that is better, but we have not tested exterior walls.

Yes, the suggestion was for anchors to not count against guild or home max items.
  8. Kompacte_of_Test Journeyman

you can scale them down and sink them in the floor just don't go too deep...scroll down until they are one wheel click below being visible and you wont get stuck in the floor when you port in.
    Bobokin likes this.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not reading everything so if this was suggested my bad. Why not just exclude anchors from the max count in halls and only have your own anchor get displayed? So you dont see anyone elses.. therefore no clutter.
    Rijacki likes this.
  10. Bobokin Augur

The latter would likely add too much work and a toggle.

The former is the simple route on first view, but perhaps the item numbers are hard coded, and they don't want to allow a gazillion anchors to mess up the database.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is still going to be a hard limit to the number of items that can be placed in the guild hall that they would count against even if it isn't the normal item limit.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

But it may be an irrelevant hard limit and by that I mean one not likely to ever be reached. Especially if the anchors dont show up for anyone else. I guess it would be more of a flag for being able to port to the guild hall.

Another answer is just give everyone the ability to port to the guildhall regardless of anchors which could be used for just housing I guess.
    Fenthen likes this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Well yes but in my suggestion the toggle is set by placing an anchor. I mean from the programming side I suspect it is just a toggle anyway with the current anchors. You place your anchor it sets the toggle.
  14. Loup Garou De loop de loop

The solution would have to allow it to differentiate between All Access and F2P - unless they want to allow F2P to set anchors in the guild halls which would be really nice.

So just a flag like the general chat flag for Silver accounts.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Has no one mentioned using the anchors as part of an elaborate device to torture recalcitrant guild members? Go AFK during a raid: To the hook! Loot the wrong thing: To the hook! And so on.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just because you hide other players anchors doesn't mean that the guild hall still doesn't need to track all of them. And I don't see how there wouldn't be a hard limit for items and how that wouldn't impact performance for the servers to have to track possibly thousands of anchors in lots of different guild halls.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You dont track the anchor.

1) Place anchor in guild hall which sets a flag.
    2) when you cast that anchors clicky it simply ports you to the guild hall of the guild you are in. Zero tracking. It is a single flag per player not for everyone else in the world. So it tracks as one flag on the character. So there would be more more of a performance hit then there would be for having any flag in the options menu.

You have no need to track it if there can only be a single guild hall per guild. The only difference between this and any other flag on the options menu would be the flag showing as an item in the guild hall. Since it only shows for that one player that player has a performance hit of one guild hall anchor. All other players would only suffer a performance hit of one guild hall anchor.

The guild hall limit performance limit is, I suspect, about how many things to show all at once. In my suggestion players would only see the number of items everyone else does plus their anchor. Instead of seeing all items in the guild hall including everyones anchor you would justt see yours.

You would not have to load the location data of everyone elses anchor to show its placement in the guildhall but just yours.

And yes even then you may need a hard limit but I would, suspect again, that it could be much higher and effectively one not reached.

If I am missing something let me know but it seems to me as if it would work.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You seem to be ignoring the fact that the server still has to track each and every object in a housing zone even if some players are not able to see it. In addition it would also have to track who can see which objects so it can determine which objects the players client needs to know about to render. The issues with performance are not just around what the player sees and their client needs to render.

Honestly if that is the route you want to go with it would be better to just have a single primary/secondary anchor that can be placed and people can attune to instead of placing their own anchor.
  19. Windance Augur

Create a new item with the same timer ( or recast ) as the primary anchor. This item will teleport the user to the guild hall pool.

Pro:
    - Every guild hall probably already has a pool.
    - Another way to get back to the guild hall ( even if its 1hr+ reuse )

Con:
    - Doesn't "clean up" the guild hall anchors already placed.
    - Requires making yet another "new item"
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The game is always going to have to track everything... well everything in the game. But you reduce load by not sending everyone the location of everything. Feel free to comment on this one too but the discussion has run its course for me :)