In Progress graphics exploding into kalaidascope

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Svann2, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Windance Augur

For those still getting these errors ...

Please open up your eqclient.ini and post the settings for:

TextureQuality=1
    MipMapping=FALSE
    AllLuclinPcModelsOff=0

I have not had any visual artifacts since I made these changes.
  2. Windance Augur

The other thing you can do is try to identify which item is causing the glitch.

Try zoning out and coming back in, does it happen again? if so note WHO it is so when you do a bug report the devs can narrow the issue down.

Its going to be very hard for a dev to fix something with no information other than "its broke" please fix it.
  3. Lodestar The Undefeated

Cairbrae knows what the issue is. They changed deferred texture loading mechanisms in the DX11 code in the most recent patch, reverting the methodology from 2 patches ago. This particular bug resurfaced at the same time deferred loading (and related grey textures) were fixed. There is likely a correlation with this issue and those DX11 texture loading changes.

There is no reason for anyone to be attempting to troubleshoot a fix. You will be wasting your time. Cairbrae already acknowledged this was likely fixed internally, and that it's "elusive"--hence, you won't be finding it in an .ini file. In other words: It's "elusive" in their own code. Users can go days without experiencing the glitches, depending on the server and amount of players in the most commonly impacted zones.
    Scila likes this.
  4. cleriche New Member

Thanks for the info LS, and Windance those are the current setting of eqclient, Just love that I can play EQ with the original models, my pet looks just fine with 8 bit color and 16 bit polygons. Well at least I learned a lot about EQ, I now know /Gems still works great after 20+ years and the /netstat command is more useless than ever.
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

I only get this kinda garbage in PoK and Guild Lobby. Other zones are fine.

[IMG]

I do not have an entry for MipMapping but the rest are correct.

[IMG]
  6. Fenthen aka Rath

7. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm also getting missing weapons (seems to only be LS weapons) and missing hat ornaments in LI, in addition to the Lobby and PoK.

It *appears* to be tied to zone population. If I zone into LI and there's 50-60 people, the weapons and ornaments won't show up. But if I /pick over to another instance with just a handful of people, everything is fine. I honestly can't remember the last time zoning into LI with it having a small population.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Lodestar The Undefeated

They forgot to put the San Diego minimum wage starting salary in the MOTD.
    Velisaris_MS and Fenthen like this.
  9. Lodestar The Undefeated

There does indeed seem to be a correlation with population. But ultimately, no need for us to worry about it or spend time on anything other than reporting the bug. Daybreak has to fix on their end with how DX11 elements are loading/handling.
  10. Conq Augur

Still happening. Tunare server, Guild Lobby, 19:00 PDT.
    Fuelforfire and Silvena like this.
  11. Cairbrae Developer

Thanks. We're following up on the new kaleidoscope information we're getting. It looks like a race condition is sneaking into two threads handling DX resources.
  12. Fenthen aka Rath

This is a new one. PoK didn't even texture in the tradeskill tables. You can still open them, however.

[IMG]
    Metanis likes this.
  13. Cairbrae Developer

As a workaround, if you disable the new UI, checkbox in Options > Display window, then this issue should occur less often. In eqclient.ini, it's this variable:

[Defaults]
    UseNewUIEngine=0
  14. Lodestar The Undefeated

Just FYI Cairbrae: Still happens daily to me, and UseNewUIEngine has always been set to 0 on my end.

Glad to hear you're identifying race issues in DX11 threads, maybe other optimizations can come out of it too!
  15. Scila Augur

I'm not sure how a player changing their settings accomplishes anything other than non-paid player troubleshooting. It also then depends on each player's comp specs which aren't consistent across EQ. What works for one player, isn't going to work for someone with different comp specs and may cause more conflict when the dev's actually implement a fix creating a loop of "now I'm having the problem."
    Monkeychunks likes this.
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

I've had the new UI disabled the moment you put that switch in, and I've had this crap happening every single night I play.

The UI has nothing to do with this.
    Monkeychunks and Silvena like this.
  17. Cairbrae Developer

The workaround can help because the new UI has one of the threads that loads DX resources in the background. Disabling that feature eliminates its contribution to the problem.

Meanwhile, we isolated the central problem and coded up an internal fix yesterday. That's good news!
    Rijacki, Fenthen, Lodestar and 3 others like this.
  18. cleriche New Member

[quote=".The UI has nothing to do with this.[/quote]

The new UI and DX11 are closely tied, why I don't believe it's a UI issue, it is a DX11 Problem. Like you , I have had my NewUI toggled off soon after I started having kaleidoscope issues. Doing so did not help.
  19. Lodestar The Undefeated

Why in the world does anyone refute what Cairbrae states? Cairbrae is a boss and knows exactly what needs to be done. He clearly stated the UI setting potentially contributes due to the same thread running the UI and DX resources related to the "kaleidoscope" bug. He didn't say it was the only cause, or the entirety of the cause. He also didn't say it would always help, or that it wouldn't help. It's a contributor since it runs on the very same thread, and is perhaps one of the only things an end-user can currently toggle to attempt improving upon the issue in the interim.

(Merriam-Webster) CONTRIBUTE: transitive + intransitive : to give or supply (something, such as money or time) as a part or share.
    Cairbrae and minimind like this.
  20. minimind The Village Idiot

I just got a curiously clear view of one of these kaleidoscopes explosions as a part of a texture atlas.

[IMG]